Live from Explorer March 28-April 11, 2023–Yokohama to Tokyo

RachelG

Rachel, enjoying your reports as we will be on the same cruise in two weeks. Thanks for posting. 
Is there anyway you could find out if Regent will offer transportation to Narita at the end of the cruise that includes some sightseeing?

We understand there is direct transportation from the ship to Narita for $89pp, but our flight is not until 5pm. Would enjoy filling the time seeing something other than the ANA lounge. 
Thanks again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, labonnevie said:

Rachel, enjoying your reports as we will be on the same cruise in two weeks. Thanks for posting. 
Is there anyway you could find out if Regent will offer transportation to Narita at the end of the cruise that includes some sightseeing?

We understand there is direct transportation from the ship to Narita for $89pp, but our flight is not until 5pm. Would enjoy filling the time seeing something other than the ANA lounge. 
Thanks again. 

I will check this out and get back to you on it.  We are sort of the same situation but out of Haneda.

March 31, 2023–Kobe, Japan

We were in port overnight.  When we woke up, it was overcast and chilly.  The weather forecast said no chance of rain, but it sure didn’t look like that.  Looking out our window, we had a view of a big Ferris wheel.  Ferris wheels must be really popular in Japan, because we have seen one in every port.  

La Veranda was really crowded at breakfast, so we ended up eating outside in the heated part of the pool deck.

Our excursion for the morning was to Mt. Rocco and a sake museum.  We rode in the bus to a cable car which took us up the steep slopes of Mt Rocco which is the 3000 ft mountain behind the city. The cable car was like those in San Francisco except going almost straight up.  You couldn’t really see much except trees.  We got off at a viewing point then the bus took us the rest of the way to the top.  To be honest, it was a bit disappointing.  It was so overcast and hazy, you couldn’t see much, and there were really ugly radio towers on the top of the mountain.

Then we went back down a very curvy steep road through the forest to the city.  That actually was kind of nice.  The sake museum was interesting looking, but no signage in English. They did give us an English brochure explaining the sake making process, but it didn’t really explain the exhibits.  Then we got to taste 2 different sakis and a plum wine.

Back to port, the Regent website had actually allowed me to book an afternoon excursion.  Not sure why because technically there is supposed to be an hour and a half between, but it did.  So we got off one bus and immediately on another.  All fine except no lunch.

The afternoon excursion took us first across a huge suspension bridge to an island.  There was a big promenade there as well as a food court, so we pointed a couple of things and purchased them for lunch.  Actually pretty good.

Then on to Sorakuen Gardens, a traditional Japanese garden in the middle of the city.  This place is pristine and so beautiful with all different plants we don’t see at home plus little paths and walkways, water features, and koi.  It is not large, but what is there is perfect.  I told George it had the cleanest public toilet I have ever encountered.

It was a short ride back to the ship. We had a quick rest then I went to trivia where our team placed 2nd.

There was a pre dinner show , but George and I had been invited to cocktails so missed it.  Dinner in Compass Rose was great.  George ordered the pork chop while I had the pasta dish of the day and both were great.

The entertainer tonight was Isabelle Commandeur from the Netherlands.  She won the Dutch version of American Idol a few years ago, and she has an incredible voice.  A great show, with a combination of pop, rock , and classical.

Pp

• Like 7

2 hours ago, RachelG said:

March 31, 2023–Kobe, Japan

We were in port overnight.  When we woke up, it was overcast and chilly.  The weather forecast said no chance of rain, but it sure didn’t look like that.  Looking out our window, we had a view of a big Ferris wheel.  Ferris wheels must be really popular in Japan, because we have seen one in every port.  

La Veranda was really crowded at breakfast, so we ended up eating outside in the heated part of the pool deck.

Our excursion for the morning was to Mt. Rocco and a sake museum.  We rode in the bus to a cable car which took us up the steep slopes of Mt Rocco which is the 3000 ft mountain behind the city. The cable car was like those in San Francisco except going almost straight up.  You couldn’t really see much except trees.  We got off at a viewing point then the bus took us the rest of the way to the top.  To be honest, it was a bit disappointing.  It was so overcast and hazy, you couldn’t see much, and there were really ugly radio towers on the top of the mountain.

Then we went back down a very curvy steep road through the forest to the city.  That actually was kind of nice.  The sake museum was interesting looking, but no signage in English. They did give us an English brochure explaining the sake making process, but it didn’t really explain the exhibits.  Then we got to taste 2 different sakis and a plum wine.

Back to port, the Regent website had actually allowed me to book an afternoon excursion.  Not sure why because technically there is supposed to be an hour and a half between, but it did.  So we got off one bus and immediately on another.  All fine except no lunch.

The afternoon excursion took us first across a huge suspension bridge to an island.  There was a big promenade there as well as a food court, so we pointed a couple of things and purchased them for lunch.  Actually pretty good.

Then on to Sorakuen Gardens, a traditional Japanese garden in the middle of the city.  This place is pristine and so beautiful with all different plants we don’t see at home plus little paths and walkways, water features, and koi.  It is not large, but what is there is perfect.  I told George it had the cleanest public toilet I have ever encountered.

It was a short ride back to the ship. We had a quick rest then I went to trivia where our team placed 2nd.

There was a pre dinner show , but George and I had been invited to cocktails so missed it.  Dinner in Compass Rose was great.  George ordered the pork chop while I had the pasta dish of the day and both were great.

The entertainer tonight was Isabelle Commandeur from the Netherlands.  She won the Dutch version of American Idol a few years ago, and she has an incredible voice.  A great show, with a combination of pop, rock , and classical.

Pp

We also had Isabelle during our transatlantic last March. She is terrific— one of the best performers we have seen on a ship. She also did a 2nd show, so you might really be lucky.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 9:52 AM, RachelG said:

We had dinner reservations off the ship in Kobe at Hanasato, a very traditional Japanese restaurant which specializes in Hida beef. 

What was George's verdict on the Hida  beef?  And what is Hida beef (I've heard of Kobe beef, but not Hida)?

2 hours ago, boblerm said:

What was George's verdict on the Hida  beef?  And what is Hida beef (I've heard of Kobe beef, but not Hida)?

He and I prefer our beef for sure.  The Hida beef is very tender, but the fat is interspersed in the muscle fibers so you can’t trim it off.  It does have an excellent flavor.  We just prefer leaner beef.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steve Q said:

We also had Isabelle during our transatlantic last March. She is terrific— one of the best performers we have seen on a ship. She also did a 2nd show, so you might really be lucky.

She does indeed have another show

April 1, 2023–Beppu Japan

We had a little bit of rocking during the night, nothing bad, just enough to know you are on a ship.  We awoke at 6 am, a much more sensible hour, so are gradually adjusting to the time zone.  It was bright and sunny outside.  Temperature in the 60s with little wind.  While at breakfast in La Veranda, George spotted something you don’t see every day—a submarine, sailing in the opposite direction.

It was so nice outside that I had my first walk about on the walking track upstairs.  Lots of other walkers were out.  Then there was a fascinating lecture about Japan and WWII and their mindset at the time.  I missed the first 15 minutes so will watch the whole thing on the tv later.

Beppu is a small city with a lot of surrounding geothermal activity.  It is famous for a few things.  First, the hot springs where people come to soak and presumably cure all sorts of ailments.  There were a couple of excursions to these, but with 2 caveats.  First, no tattoos.   Not a problem for us, but I was talking to a gentleman who wanted to go but has one.  I asked him how big it is.  The size of a quarter, so I suggested putting a bandaid over it, problem solved.  Apparently tattoos are very much frowned upon in Japan as they are associated with gangs and criminal activity.

The second caveat is you have to be naked to bathe in the springs.  Absolutely no way George would ever do that, so hot springs were out.

Second thing Beppu is famous for is macaques which are a type of monkey that hangs around the hot springs.  There is even a park where there are about 1500 of them, roaming free.  No excursion offered to there unfortunately though if I had been thinking we could have done it on our own.

Third thing Beppu is famous for is the Usa Jinga shrine and some large stone Buddhas. That was where we were going.

We sailed into port and were greeted by a complete high school marching band.  The tourist office made some helpful announcements.  There is a free shuttle to downtown.  We could see mountains rising up behind the town and steam rising from the geothermal vents all around.

BEST Excursion of the trip so far, and one of the best we have ever been on.  We had a great guide who spoke excellent English because she had attended Baylor University in Waco Texas.  

We drove through beautiful countryside with hills and mountains covered with forest and valleys with tea farms.  We arrived at Usa Jinga.  It is a very large shrine and very peaceful.  Usually George doesn’t like to stick with the guide, but ours was so interesting, he really wanted to hear it.  We had a little time to shop after and bought some perfect flavorful strawberries.

Then we drove further into the mountains to the Kumano Magaibutsu stone Buddhas.  To get to them is an extremely strenuous very steep hike on a stone path.  It is definitely not for the faint of heart or anyone who is not in great shape.  The Buddhas are stone carved into the side of the mountain.  There are 2 of them, and they are very large.  George of course had to take off to the top of the mountain.  And our guide actually was ok with it.  He just had to be back at the bus on time which he always is.

It was a great tour, and George was happy because he got to hike in the countryside, and no one yelled at him.

Back to the ship, we all had to go through Japanese customs as we now leave Japan to go to Korea.

Dinner in Sette Mare.  I had a stuffed chicken dish that was delicious. George had the veal chop.  Unfortunately it was undercooked at first, but they cooked it some more, and he said it was good.

The show was Broadway in Concert.  I was a little late because we were having cocktails with Dave FR, his wife, and our friends Barbara and Alex.  But it was great. I have seen it before a couple of times, and tonight’s version did not disappoint.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, RachelG said:

April 1, 2023–Beppu Japan

44 minutes ago, RachelG said:

Third thing Beppu is famous for is the Usa Jinga shrine and some large stone Buddhas. That was where we were going.

We sailed into port and were greeted by a complete high school marching band.  The tourist office made some helpful announcements.  There is a free shuttle to downtown.  We could see mountains rising up behind the town and steam rising from the geothermal vents all around.

BEST Excursion of the trip so far, and one of the best we have ever been on.  We had a great guide who spoke excellent English because she had attended Baylor University in Waco Texas.  

We drove through beautiful countryside with hills and mountains covered with forest and valleys with tea farms.  We arrived at Usa Jinga.  It is a very large shrine and very peaceful.  Usually George doesn’t like to stick with the guide, but ours was so interesting, he really wanted to hear it.  We had a little time to shop after and bought some perfect flavorful strawberries.

Then we drove further into the mountains to the Kumano Magaibutsu stone Buddhas.  To get to them is an extremely strenuous very steep hike on a stone path.  It is definitely not for the faint of heart or anyone who is not in great shape.  The Buddhas are stone carved into the side of the mountain.  There are 2 of them, and they are very large.  George of course had to take off to the top of the mountain.  And our guide actually was ok with it.  He just had to be back at the bus on time which he always is.

It was a great tour, and George was happy because he got to hike in the countryside, and no one yelled at him.

After reading your tour description I immediately went to list of our excursions on Explorer next year and the Usa Jinga Shrine is not on any of the three options available.  😔

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RachelG said:

Mystery meat on a stick 

76020352-FE85-469F-9323-79CA4B026594.jpeg

I took my Mom and sister to Tokyo about 10 years ago.  At a restaurant we went to, the translation for one of the meat skewers was "Chicken Butt".  Well of course, I had to order it just to see what exactly is chicken butt.  It was a whole skewer of little chicken tails.  Sometimes, things do get lost in translation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mrlevin said:

After reading your tour description I immediately went to list of our excursions on Explorer next year and the Usa Jinga Shrine is not on any of the three options available.  😔

That is a shame.  Maybe they will add it later.

1 minute ago, RachelG said:

That is a shame.  Maybe they will add it later.

Given that there are no regent choice, no small group, no go local, no culinary, and no other special excursions we hope they add a lot more later.  We are following along your reports to get ready for next year.   Have a great time at your lunch with ADM.

• Like 2

April 2, 2023–at sea enroute to Busan, South Korea

Today would be a lazy sea day.  We awoke and went to breakfast in La Veranda.  As it was Sunday, champagne, mimosas, and caviar with all the trimmings were available though we did not partake. They have this really good Greek yogurt on board called Farmer’s Union.  Never heard of it before, but it is creamy and delicious.  It had gone missing yesterday, but was back today.  Sadly, they are out of strawberries.  Also out of Perrier.  We were assured they would restock in Busan.

The sea was calm, and while it was chilly and hazy this morning with temps in the 50s, the high was supposed to be 68F.  Looking outside, there were little islands dotted around.  I could see a few small fishing boats and larger ships.   

Internet connection abysmal.  I was totally unable to get into my work VPN.  Good thing it was Sunday/Saturday at home.  They had said the NCAA semifinals would be shown in the Explorer Lounge, but they couldn’t get an adequate satellite signal.

The new president of Regent, Andrea DeMarco, did a town hall meeting.  She gave a short presentation.  The only important things gleaned from that were they are working on the internet and going to try Starlink on Grandeur and roll it to the other ships in the fleet if it works out.  They are working of even better dining.  And they are going to do more grand voyages.  She also talked about the option to do Regent air in coach.

Then they opened for questions.  There were a lot about UK air and pricing.  And someone wanted more excursions which are less physically demanding.  Someone did mention the virtual flood of paper brochures and how you need to be able to stop that without completely shutting off the paper brochures.  I completely agree with that one—just send the big one once or twice a year and put everything else online.

We then went to a private lunch in Chatreuse with our travel group and Ms DeMarco.  George expressed his desire for more physically challenging excursions.  She does seem to listen.  We will see what comes of it.

The schedule for the afternoon had trivia moved up to 3 pm as we will be cruising through the Kanmon Strait at 4.  We came in 3rd.  Who knows how many eyes a bee has?  Not us for sure.

The Kanmon strait is a narrow opening between to Japanese islands I to the Sea of Japan.  They said it was supposed to be scenic, but I just saw a bunch of Industrial looking areas and a bridge.  Not a highlight of the trip.

The Seven Seas Society meeting was tonight and well attended.  There are 9 Titanium members onboard, 33 (I think) platinum which would include George and me.

We had dinner in Chartreuse.  This restaurant has been hit and miss for us, but tonight was a hit.  George said his steak was the best of the trip. The mushroom soup is always a winner, and the salads were good.

George pulled a hamstring muscle today power walking on the top deck, so he went to bed early. The show tonight is World Rhythms, which I will attend.  But right now, I am trying to figure out what to do in Tokyo after we disembark before our 6 pm flight.  Normally Regent offers a day tour of the city with airport drop off, but this time they are not doing that.  They have an airport drop off, at Haneda or Narita, but no tour options.  I don’t want to spend 6+ hours at the airport doing nothing.  So I am trying to figure out options.  I think a lot of people are in the same boat.  I know someone asked about that on this thread earlier, so I just want to be clear.  They are offering no day tour options, only an airport drop off.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

I understand that speaker Brian Unger is aboard Explorer. If you get a chance, go see him. Very entertaining and informative. Best speaker I've seen on any cruise line. 

• Like 1