Live from Explorer March 28-April 11, 2023–Yokohama to Tokyo

RachelG

Rachel, thanks for doing this for all of us, very helpful!! We have friends on your voyage, but they have had trouble with internet. We received a brief message indicating the three day pre cruise program was VERY weak and many passengers were disappointed. I realize you didn't do this program, but based on your discussions with other guests, I am wondering whether we should try to book some private Tokyo tours instead as we will be on the Explorer later in the month. Thank you!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, taxare said:, I am wondering whether we should try to book some private Tokyo tours instead as we will be on the Explorer later in the month. Thank you!!!

Have a look at Flossie's thread here - they took the paid for Regent tour rather than complimentary tour pre cruise

• Like 1

Thank you Techno123. The Rickshaw picture reminded me of when we were in Delhi and took a tour of the Old City.  I am not a small guy and the poor "driver" who was up next probably thought he drew the short straw that day taking me and my wife 😪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jlhalldc said:

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

I understand that speaker Brian Unger is aboard Explorer. If you get a chance, go see him. Very entertaining and informative. Best speaker I've seen on any cruise line. 

I have listened to all his lectures in the suite.  He is great!

11 hours ago, luv2tripalot said:

Thanks. Will be following how you handle the departure day. We also have 6 pm flight back to dfw on our late April return & haven’t figured it out yet. That’s a long airport stay.

That is the flight we are on.  And the other problem is that if we get to the airport that early, we probably won’t be able to check in with AA yet.  So we wouldn’t even be able to wait in a lounge.  I am desperately looking for options.  Everything I have found so far is already booked for the 11th.  I have emailed a couple of places and haven’t heard back yet.  Very annoying because literally every Regent cruise we have been on previously has provided some sort of tour then airport transfer for the later flights.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, taxare said:

Rachel, thanks for doing this for all of us, very helpful!! We have friends on your voyage, but they have had trouble with internet. We received a brief message indicating the three day pre cruise program was VERY weak and many passengers were disappointed. I realize you didn't do this program, but based on your discussions with other guests, I am wondering whether we should try to book some private Tokyo tours instead as we will be on the Explorer later in the month. Thank you!!!

Consensus was that the pre tour was very lacking.  Weather was bad which didn’t help, but a couple of our friends just bailed on the tour parts.

RachelG, there were hotels at both Haneda and Narita airports that had day rooms available for rent (not the cubby hole rooms) before COVID.  I think they could be rented for as short a time as 3 hours or so.  All of Japan cruises that we had booked for the past 3 years were cancelled so I don't have any specific recommendation. 

On one of our trips to Japan, we used Chris Rowthorn Tours for private tours in Tokyo and in Kyoto.  You might be able to book something through his company that would give you a tour and then arrive at the airport closer to your departure time.  

http://www.chrisrowthorn.com

I know that this company is back up and running as I have received e-mails from them.   Unfortunately, the individuals we used on other trips do not appear to be providing tour services at this time.

One of our tour guides had us use a mixture of public transportation (bus/train), and a taxi for the tour.  He told us that tour guides do not drive and give a tour at the same time and that is why we used a taxi.  You might be able to find a guide who would take you on a tour using a taxi for transportation.  Your luggage would be safely stowed in the trunk.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread.  Thanks so much for taking the time to post. 

• Like 1

April 3, 2023–Busan, South Korea

For the first time this cruise, we had a really bouncy night.  Seas were pretty rough, and the motion of the ship kept throwing open the sliding door to our closet which has an automatic light which would then turn on.  And no way that we could figure to secure the door. We finally gave up and propped it open so it wouldn’t keep going on and off.  Since it doesn’t shine directly into the bedroom, it was light a strong nightlight.

We woke up a little later as a result, as we had gone to sleep when then ship pulled into port.  When we awoke, it was bright and sunny outside, with a big bridge visible on our side of the ship, and a large very modern looking city with lots of high rises on the other.

Tours were delayed going out by about an hour due to customs, but they had let us know this would be the case last evening, so it worked out well.  Our tour for the day was “Tea Culture and City Highlights”.

We drove through the huge city across a very long bridge and up a hillside to a Buddhist monastery which is still in the city but is quite and seems remote as it is in a pine grove.  The building is very ornately painted, and we were greeted by the head monk and a whole entourage of ladies in beautiful Korean traditional dress.  You had the option of sitting on the floor or in chairs for the tea ceremony.  I would have done the floor, but George couldn’t handle that due to his pulled muscle from yesterday.  

We were guided through the ceremony, making and drinking the tea, meditating, then drinking more tea with little sweet cakes. Then the head monk treated us to an exhibition of traditional drumming.  He was quite good.

We then were allowed to explore the rest of the building and grounds.  The people were very hospitable and seemed happy we were there.

We drove to what was supposed to be a scenic view.  It was just buildings all round and not very scenic.

We then went to the fish market.  I was sort of dreading this as we have been to fish markets in China and other parts of the world that were downright dreadful.  But this was the cleanest and least smelly fish market ever.  You could buy your fish and have them cook it right there if you desired.

While driving, our guide, who was good and spoke passable English, asked if any of us were from Japan.  Once she had determined that none were, she told us she would tell us about what happened in Korea during WWII and after which very sobering.  She also thanked us profusely for our help in the Korean War and assured us South Koreans would never forget.

By this time, it was after 2, due to our late start, and we were starving.  We had planned to eat in town, but since it was so late, we just went back to the ship on the bus and grabbed lunch at the pool grill.

We came in 2nd in trivia.  I went down to destination services to protest the lack of tour then drop off at the airport for those with later flights out.  Their excuse was there is a shortage of guides.  I get that, but they should have let us know earlier.  They knew this weeks ago.  I spent a lot of time online this morning before our tour trying to find a private driver and tour for us.  Everything is booked.  If I had know a month ago, I could have arranged something.  She did advise me there is a left luggage area at Haneda, and we could leave our luggage there then go do something.  Incredibly inconvenient, but we don’t have a lot of options.

As we sailed out from Busan, we passed 3 large naval ships, one an aircraft carrier.  It was the highlight of George’s day.

Dinner in Compass Rose with our friends June and Ralph was very nice.  They had an Asian theme tonight. Really good pork gyoza, cod tempura with udon noodles, a couple of curry dishes, passion fruit soufflé.  All quite tasty, and we had the most enthusiastic happy waiters.

Isabelle commandeur’s repeat performance was outstanding.  This time she did a combination of opera and Broadway.  

• Like 6

You did not mention which airport (or I missed it).

Haneda has day rooms/hotels at the terminal.  Very nice hotel.

You can get a full room or a mini room with a sofa and shower and access to the hotel lounge.

https://www.royalparkhotels.co.jp/the/tokyohaneda/

Tours -- have you looked at tours by locals or Viator.

If you are departing from Narita a local tour could be an issue as you need to allow at least 2 hours to get from Tokyo to Narita or 2.5 hours from Yokohama to Narita.  Haneda departures are so much more convenient.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

You can get a full room or a mini room with a sofa and shower and access to the hotel lounge.

If you are departing from Narita a local tour could be an issue as you need to allow at least 2 hours to get from Tokyo to Narita or 2.5 hours from Yokohama to Narita.  Haneda departures are so much more convenient.

We are flying out from Haneda so will check that out.  I exhausted viator with no luck.

Strange journey, this one.

By far, the worst internet connectivity I’ve ever had on a Regent cruise and we have over 400 nights.  Several days of almost nonexistent internet  - so bad that they made an announcement about it.  Other days so slow that server connections timed out on simple things like email and Apple News / web pages just would not load.  Frequently disconnected and had to sign in to ships internet frequently.  

Staffing  issues seem resolved for the most part but still a few new folks that should be shadowed by experienced employees.  But the expected Regent experience with staff is pretty much normal.

For some reason, the door on deck 11 near the bar is cordoned off but staff still use it normally.  Not a real problem but strange.

The lack of a tour or dayroom on the day of our flight leaving, extensively discussed in other posts, is a first for us.  Similar problems in our past experience were solved by providing a later bus and allowing impacted passengers to stay on deck 11 and lounges for a few extra hours but no alternatives this time.  Can’t even go to the lounge in the airport since the ticket counter and lounge won’t open for several hours after we get dropped off although I might have other options to get around this.

Some of the tours have been great but some lacking.  One tour had an unannounced lunch included and the guide cut each other visit short in order to get the bus back early.    Why?  I can understand some of the tour issues as Japan has just recently opened and Covid created lots of issues as a result of its duration.

The Sunday brunch on a sea day is apparently discontinued as this one did not offer it.  The deck party/buffet on an overnight in port is also apparently gone as this one did not have it either.  Not big issues but we were anticipating those events.  

We have cruised on Regent several times since they resumed sailing and this one is the most normal with respect to staffing (the continual improvement is good to see) and we have several booked but there are enough oddities on this one to make us hesitant to readily book Explorer in the near future in case our experiences are isolated to this ship as we have not heard of them occurring on the other ships but possibly we are seeing the (minor) impact of the cost reductions necessary to return to profitability.

I have to also give accolades to the restaurant manager for learning that we were repeatedly told they had run out of Prime Rib in Prime7 so he sought us out and told us he reserved some for our dinner tonight.

We will still continue to sail with Regent but this is a slightly different experience than we have had in the past, even post Covid.

Best,

John

• Thanks 1

We are on Splendor right now doing a transatlantic and we were at sea this past Sunday.  They had a spectacular Sunday brunch as a result.  Really stunning and very well attended.  Jude, our CD, said that they were really excited to be able to do the Sunday Brunch since on their upcoming Mediterranean cruises there will be few, if any, Sundays at sea so they won't have the opportunity to hold Sunday brunches then.

So, at least on Splendor, Regent is doing Sunday brunches when they can.

April 4, 2023-Jeju, South Korea

We had a good nights sleep as the sea was quite calm. When we awoke, it was very overcast and foggy outside.  I could just barely make out a large island which we were sailing toward.

Juju is a volcanic island which is apparently a popular vacation spot for Koreans.  It has lots of natural attractions, such as lava tubes, mountains and craters.  But as we were sailing in, it was so foggy we really couldn’t see much of anything.

Strawberries had returned in La Veranda, and Perrier and San Pelligrino have been replenished.

We sailed into a port with a huge passenger terminal.  They get several ferries a day, but only occasionally cruise ships.  We had to go through customs again, but it was very efficient.

Our tour today saw to Sunrise Peak and then to a folk village where people actually still live.  (Side comment here—all tours have been early or on time.  Yesterday’s was late, but we were notified the night before of the delay, and the new time was accurate.)

We set off with a very talkative guide.  She wanted to impart every bit of Korean culture and history upon us.  It was quite over whelming.  We eventually arrived at Sunrise Peak, which is a volcanic mountain with a caldera right on the ocean.  The trail is mostly stairs made of volcanic rock.  A lot of people couldn’t manage that as it is steep and strenuous, but there was plenty to see even if you couldn’t.  It was super windy, which actually was kind of a blessing as it kept us somewhat cooled off.  We made it to the top, took in the view, then climbed back down.

Next stop was a traditional village with houses made of volcanic rocks stuck together with mud mortar and topped with thatched roofs. People actually still live in some of these, not something I would like to do.

We explored then went to the village for coffee and tea.  I had a beautiful green tea topped with a flower.  Almost too pretty to drink.

When we got back to the ship, we took the shuttle into town in search of Korean BBQ.  We found the famous black pig BBQ street and went into the first restaurant we saw.  I think they are pretty much all the same.  We ordered our meat, pork of course.  The girl brought out a huge number of accompaniments, kimchi, bean sprouts, tofu soup, egg custard, pickled radish, and a number of sauces.  The meat was very fatty.  Apparently that is how it is supposed to be.  You cook it right on a grill in front of you.  I dissected the meat away from the fat, and the meat that was there was good.  It was just mostly fat.  Anyway, it was a cultural experience, and we don’t need todo it again.

Trivia was super hard, and we did not win.  The entire day was very overcast, dark,  and looked like it was going to pour rain at any minute.  Thankfully it help off until we were back on board.

Dinner was a second chance for Prime 7, and it was much improved.  I had lamb chops which were perfect.  George had the seafood tower and was very pleased with it.  

During dinner, the seas really started picking up.  It was starting to rock and roll quite a bit.  We went back to the room and wind was whistling around the door.  I went to the show which was a tribute band to the four seasons, the four sea sons.  They were pretty good as long as they stuck to the four seasons music.  When they tried to branch out, not so much.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Johnthesailor said:

By far, the worst internet connectivity I’ve ever had on a Regent cruise

Yes, we found this to be a problem last month.

Explorer has always seemed to us to have the worst Wi-Fi/Internet of all the Regent ships, but lately it has become even worse.

During our cruise the Internet Manager said that the Wi-Fi infrastructure on Explorer would be enhanced during her dry-dock in May 🤞

The Sunday brunch on a sea day is apparently discontinued as this one did not offer it.

We were fortunate to enjoy two during our B2B Bali to Tokyo, so not sure why you have not had one on your Sunday Sea Day.

The deck party/buffet on an overnight in port is also apparently gone as this one did not have it either.

Deck Parties are normally held when the ship is in port until late, not when the ship stays overnight.

On overnights some guests and crew choose to go ashore for the evening.

Of the two newer ships we definitely like Splendor more than Explorer, for a variety of reasons.

@RachelG,Thanks for the continuing commentary from Explorer

April 5, 2023–Nagasaki, Japan

We had a smooth night sailing despite the whistling wind for the first portion and awoke already docked in Nagasaki.  Forecast was for constant rain with high temp around 62F, and looking outside, it was raining pretty hard.

We had to go back through Japan customs and immigration, and I was thankful ours was the first tour to go out.  It was super slow, and I am pretty sure they quickly got backed up, considering they already were with the first 20 people off the ship. For the first time this trip, there was another ship in port—Silversea.

We boarded our bus for the tour to Arita.  Only about 20 on the tour and a nice big bus with plenty of room.  Our guide spoke good English and talked just the right amount and gave good information.

We drove out of the city into lush countryside with mountains covered in evergreen and fully leafed out deciduous tress.  There still a few cherry trees in bloom, but also the Azeleas were blooming and looked beautiful.

Arita is a small town that produces very fine porcelain.  We walked up to the porcelain god shrine in the rain.  It was actually pretty scenic and interesting. 

Then we went to lunch at a very nice restaurant.  Lots of mystery food very elegantly served in bento boxes.  Pork, sashimi, several interesting vegetables, egg, snail, seaweed, rice, miso soup, a soy ginger pudding, green tea.  I am a much more adventurous eater than most, so I tasted everything.  Some was more to my liking than others for sure.  The big chunk of fat was pretty awful.

Then we went to a porcelain museum and to a shop where I actually found a piece that was reasonably priced and beautiful.  Our guide let us nap on the way back to Nagasaki, then told us about the atomic bomb in WWII.  I didn’t realize they were actually planning to bomb another city but couldn’t because of the weather so changed plans at the last minute.

We went to the Peace Park and ground zero.  It was still raining, but seemed appropriate.  The park is indeed peaceful and beautiful.  

Driving back to the ship, the guide pointed out several interesting things, including a Shinto gate which half was collapsed in the bombing and the other half still stands, Chinatown, the cathedral.  While only about 1.5% of Japanese are Christian, Nagasaki is traditionally a Christian city with many churches.

Back onboard, we placed 3rd again in trivia.  There were a group of drummers on the dock, despite the rain, to see us off.  If weather had been good, his would have been a very scenic sailaway.

Dinner was in the Asian restaurant, Pacific Rim. I admit, this is not my favorite, but George loves it, so….   He loved it as usual, I am ok.  The duck and watermelon salad is really delicious.  I probably should just stick with that.  

But we had a late reservation, so I missed half of the show , Paradis.  What I saw was outstanding.  

The ship was really rocking and rolling, but the whistling in the suite has stopped. Should be a good sleep.

• Like 4

Regarding the poor Internet, we experienced the same dismal connectivity but it was somewhat improved by advice I'd gotten on this site -- to use the binoculars supplied by Regent as a wedge to keep the door open. The "repeater" is in the hallway and this does help somewhat. 🙂

We had dinner with the GM and he says Explorer is being fitted with Starlink when they go into drydock in May. 🙌 Fifty folks will board with the express purpose of rewiring the entire ship. Another 200 will board to re-carpet the entire ship and some other improvements. He was vague on what other improvements were in store. All in 7 days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 4/2/2023 at 5:52 PM, RachelG said:

That is the flight we are on.  And the other problem is that if we get to the airport that early, we probably won’t be able to check in with AA yet.  So we wouldn’t even be able to wait in a lounge.  I am desperately looking for options.  Everything I have found so far is already booked for the 11th.  I have emailed a couple of places and haven’t heard back yet.  Very annoying because literally every Regent cruise we have been on previously has provided some sort of tour then airport transfer for the later flights.

We are on the cruise that ends on April 25 and we are flying home from Narita. We have a late flight. I booked a transfer from the ship to the airport. When we get to the airport we will check our bags and put our carryon bags in lockers. Then we are going to venture out to the city of Nartia which is very close to the airport. https://trulytokyo.com/narita-day-trip-itinerary/

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 9:00 AM, PaulMCO said:

We are flying out from Haneda so will check that out.  I exhausted viator with no luck.