Bidding on an upgrade

babs135

4 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Is it illegal though?

Hotels is the easy one - book cancellable rates; I always do and sometimes rebook cheaper (Hilton at the cricket ground in Southampton before H415 case in point, new Hilton Tapestry in York for this August BH), though with hotels probably indistinguishable from dynamic pricing as unlike cruise ships you can't see a plan of free rooms

Cruise Lines are at liberty to offer what they like for sale at any given time. Last May I tried to book a QM2 trip by the time by my call was answered everything was sold out with previously a choice of inside or balcony . By next morning there was availability. Very bizarre but I got my cabin so was pleased. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Cruise Lines are at liberty to offer what they like for sale at any given time. Last May I tried to book a QM2 trip by the time by my call was answered everything was sold out with previously a choice of inside or balcony . By next morning there was availability. Very bizarre but I got my cabin so was pleased. 

That may possibly be due to some cabins having a "hold" put on the. If I am not mistaken this is another one of the "perks" for those across the pond - but I also believe that some (all?) TAs can do it as well. Then there are those who are part way through an online booking that can lock a cabin out - I have actually seen this happen when booking via the phone, first it was available, then not, then became available again all in the space of about 10 minutes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david63 said:

That may possibly be due to some cabins having a "hold" put on the. If I am not mistaken this is another one of the "perks" for those across the pond - but I also believe that some (all?) TAs can do it as well. Then there are those who are part way through an online booking that can lock a cabin out - I have actually seen this happen when booking via the phone, first it was available, then not, then became available again all in the space of about 10 minutes.

Just for the record, the timeout for a cabin to be held on the Cunard US website during the booking process there is 15 minutes. Other travel agent websites offer different hold times. The one I use offers a 25 minute hold time.

When I call my travel agent to help me with a booking, she does have the ability to place longer holds on cabins. During a recent call, she told me she had to call Cunard to work out the details for my booking and would call me back later. I noticed the cabin I had requested disappeared from the inventory on the Cunard website shortly that call and remained that way for several hours until she was able to call me back to process my payment and complete the booking.

We in the US do not have the ability to place courtesy holds on bookings via the Cunard website anymore. That option used to exist quite a few years ago but no longer. The options we have now to complete a booking on the Cunard US website require us to charge either the deposit or the full amount to a credit card. I do not know if the Cunard call center can place courtesy holds on bookings if I were to call them to place a booking though.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

An update from me, we booked a Britannia balcony (BF) on a Saver fare 40 days before sailing. We had a free upgrade to BE when the cabin was allocated and today, 11 days before sailing we had our Upgrade bid to Britannia Club accepted.

Club has been showing Sold Out since we booked.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2024 at 5:03 PM, Host Hattie said:

An update from me, we booked a Britannia balcony (BF) on a Saver fare 40 days before sailing. We had a free upgrade to BE when the cabin was allocated and today, 11 days before sailing we had our Upgrade bid to Britannia Club accepted.

Club has been showing Sold Out since we booked.

That’s great news for you! Did you get an email from Cunard to let you know?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, david63 said:

Oh no - not another cutback!! What has happened to the upgrade fairy?

She is still around! Recently upgraded from Inside to Oceanview on Queen Anne despite only booking an Early Saver fare. Very happy.

However, it's now made me put a bid in for another upcoming cruise as I don't really want to go back to an inside again so my 'free' upgrade might end up costing me money after all. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, david63 said:

Oh no - not another cutback!! What has happened to the upgrade fairy?

They* are still with us. Despite the wording used on the screen, the Saver fares tend to see most of them, but I had a Club upgrade a few months ago.

* E&OE

So, if the upgrade fairy hasn’t gone away for good, when would an upgrade be granted?  I’m setting sail on my first Cunard voyage on September 29. (THIS MONTH!!!) and if she waves her magic wand and upgrades us from sheltered balcony to regular balcony I wouldn’t be happy.  However if we were to be upgraded to PG or higher, we’d be in BIG trouble.  We have 3 weeks of back to back sailing booked on QM2 in August 2026.  I’m afraid if we were upgraded to PG, we’d have to go back and pay for the upgrades for the 3 week voyage.  Luckily for me the chances of that happening are probably slim to none 😁

9 hours ago, napria said:

However if we were to be upgraded to PG or higher, we’d be in BIG trouble.  We have 3 weeks of back to back sailing booked on QM2 in August 2026.  I’m afraid if we were upgraded to PG, we’d have to go back and pay for the upgrades for the 3 week voyage.  Luckily for me the chances of that happening are probably slim to none 😁

Never say never, but it is pretty unlikely. Sheltered Balcony to Club Balcony is perhaps more likely. I think there is a general suspicion that for those with fixed stateroom numbers, the introduction of Plusgrade has taken away much of the surprise and delight role of the upgrade fairy. For those on Saver fares or similar then inevitably there has to be shuffling around of the available inventory but even then it's more likely they would go from BZ to BV, and I'm not sure even I would notice the difference.

But there is an art to going up and down the stateroom categories (to use the official language). I've done all categories from Oceanview to QG. It's true that those in Grills can rarely countenance an existence back in steerage, but the sheer value for money of Britannia should hit home. A relatively inexpensive PG Crossing is about £2,400 per person for 7 nights, whereas the least expensive Britannia is a mere £549 and I think that is tremendous value for money. Even Premier Inn with views on to the motorway can easily charge more than £80 a night. Now if you consider you can have FOUR Crossings in Britannia for one PG experience then I think I'd go Britannia. The catch is, of course, that time isn't in endless supply.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, napria said:

So, if the upgrade fairy hasn’t gone away for good, when would an upgrade be granted?  I’m setting sail on my first Cunard voyage on September 29. (THIS MONTH!!!) and if she waves her magic wand and upgrades us from sheltered balcony to regular balcony I wouldn’t be happy.  However if we were to be upgraded to PG or higher, we’d be in BIG trouble.  We have 3 weeks of back to back sailing booked on QM2 in August 2026.  I’m afraid if we were upgraded to PG, we’d have to go back and pay for the upgrades for the 3 week voyage.  Luckily for me the chances of that happening are probably slim to none 😁

The last 7 days before sailing would be my guess, perhaps the last 4 days. Assuming that Cunard will want to prioritise people paying for upgrades through the Upgrade Programme, as opposed to giving them out for free then the T&Cs and associated info for that suggest the last opportunity to put an offer in is 7 days prior to cruise departure. There is then 3 days to pay for said upgrade.

Once Cunard have allocated all staterooms for paying upgraders then they can look to upgrade (or not) everyone else. For my last Cunard cruise, my cabin was upgraded (for free) 2 days prior to departure, I then had to wait until the next day for my boarding pass to be updated.

14 hours ago, napria said:

We got the first upgrade 7 days before sailing, (sheltered balcony on deck 5 -> glass balcony on deck 11), and the second one 5 days before sailing. (glass balcony on deck 11 -> Britannia Club glass balcony on deck 13) After the 1st one I wrote them that I don't like it because of the connecting door, but they wrote back that I have to take it because I had agreed to being upgraded. But this was not true, I booked on the phone and was not asked at all about this, and I wrote this back. So maybe the second upgrade was because of this, but of course there's no way of knowing.