Wandering on the Wonder--A Semi-Live (Maybe) Review

12 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Ice show was better than aqua show.

some good skaters and routines if you like ice skating.

No hockey,drats!

I follow one of the new ice cast members on YouTube, named Jordan.  Would love to actually see her in person but I am not on Wonder till 2025 so probably not gonna happen. 😞

• Like 1

Hi.  You will love Wonder.  Don't want to hijack this review, but thought I'd add in our own thoughts.  We were just on 3/19 and it was amazing!  Everyone can find little things they didn't like, but we were very happy overall.

First time with Deluxe Beverage pkg and would not do it any other way again.  So convenient, so easy and really makes sense to try out all things alcoholic and non.  We also did the 3 specialty dining instead of the ultimate dining pkg.  It worked best for us bc with four port days sometimes you do not want to run back for a big meal.  We only had two sea days; maybe would do ultimate specialty dining if we had more sea days.

Did not eat at main dining room so could not speak about that.  Two nights in coastal kitchen were fine; Paid for hooked additional and it was just ok:  Note: all the menus on line show a two pound lobster.  New menu is only 1.25lb lobster.  Kind of bummed about that, and waiters were very pushy for extra tip.

Chops was excellent, Izumi sushi was good with amazing service, and we loved Wonderland.  We felt a bit rushed in there, and the Mad Hatter was not around but overall very cool.  Will go back.

Shows were good. 365 and Intense were best.

Comment on the suites:  We had the 1 bdroom ATS on deck 11 with a balcony next door for our girls.  It was very nice, loved the large balcony views and room was spacious with a ton of storage.  But last time we were on an Oasis class we were in CLS, and I missed being on 17th floor.  Something calmer and less frantic and trafficky up there.  Yes, very good problem to have, but thought I'd mention it bc price is very similar for CLS and ATS, and have seen posts with people wondering which to go with. CLS feels more like a suite if that makes sense.  Walk to room was not bad; I'd heard a lot of concern about that but did not bother us.  Suite sundeck was great and Kenny was an AMAZING concierge.

Royal was very good about crediting back excursions on coco cay due to bad weather.  Loved the coco cay beach club lunch even in the rain.  Kids thought the thrill park was "meh"; lines too long and slides not as good as on the ship.

Flowrider lines were not bad, and they gave everyone 4-5 minutes on it.  Lots of fun.  Overall amazing.  If you have any questions happy to answer.  I would have done a separate mini review, but not sure how...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, topanga49er said:

I would have done a separate mini review, but not sure how...

I think you just did, lol, so thanks for sharing. We will be on a family cruise in 3 side-by-side GS's (courtesy of my generous FIL) in June.

The rest of my family has vowed to rarely leave the suite area as they love CK and the suite sun deck, lol. To each his own. I enjoyed them on Harmony last summer, don't get me wrong, but I love to eat way too much on cruises and try to check out all the included food venues daily so I'll be venturing off to Park Cafe, WJ, El Loco Fresh, etc. in between scheduled family meals. I also can't handle lying in the sun... my skin tone choices are pale or red so I stick with pale.

As an early riser, my family cruise routine (which is very different from when my wife and I are alone) usually involves grabbing breakfast #1 when Park Cafe opens at 6:30am to go with cappuccino from the SL before meeting them for breakfast #2 at CK. I'm very much looking forward to our suites being right next to the SL/CK. It's also not that far from some of the other food venues I mentioned. My wife will join me on occasion and my 13-year-old niece likes to try (or at least check out) random new foods so she tags alone sometimes.

I'm not a big drinker and my wife barely drinks so we're usually content with our 8 D drinks per day when cruising alone. With the 11-11 SL beer/wine/hard seltzer and the nightly SL open bar on top of that, I'm going to have to watch myself. How do I not go grab a beer or seltzer heading back to the room to change or shower or chill when my cabin is literally SL-adjacent? 🤣

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

Day 4, SXM,

DW booked us on a Nature Reserve Hike and Beach Break. Not what she thought it was. Thought we were heading to the Butterfly Farm.  Instead went Up above Le Galion is a salt pond and cove where they’ve been planting new mangroves and other plants. No hike just a walk around the beach and one side of the pond. Guides were informative. But really too long of a stay there.

Then an hour at Bikini Beach where they hook you for $40, for 2loungers. Then wind had picked up and a squall came through.

Fortunately our tour guide was a hoot. Told all sorts of stories, handed out guava berry rum, played some soca music, had us singing Sweet Caroline, My Girl, Dock of the Bay and It’s A Wonderful World.

Nack to ship tired and hungry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

The Roast Beef on Weck was very good.

or maybe I was too hungry to think different.

Thanks for the pics. Nice to see the ship but I was actually going to ask if you ever stopped by any of the free food venues since you are mostly eating in specialty restaurants... and you beat me to it! Keep the food pics coming, wherever they're from.

In my experience, the beef on weck can vary in quality, but I always have a few.

P.S. FWIW, we're not the suite set either, unless my generous FIL is treating the family. Last year was our first ever suite and this will be our 2nd. When we sail alone, we're very frugal.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Thanks for the pics. Nice to see the ship but I was actually going to ask if you ever stopped by any of the free food venues since you are mostly eating in specialty restaurants... and you beat me to it! Keep the food pics coming, wherever they're from.

In my experience, the beef on weck can vary in quality, but I always have a few.

P.S. FWIW, we're not the suite set either, unless my generous FIL is treating the family. Last year was our first ever suite and this will be our 2nd. When we sail alone, we're very frugal.

Not a fan of Sorrentos pizza. Crust too thin and too greasy. But usually grab a slice or two along the way.

Been doing Solarium Bistro for breakfast.

Haven’t made it to El Loco Fresh, maybe sometime. Lines were around the corner the other day at 2PM.

6 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Not a fan of Sorrentos pizza. Crust too thin and too greasy. But usually grab a slice or two along the way.

Haven’t made it to El Loco Fresh, maybe sometime. Lines were around the corner the other day at 2PM.

Nothing beats greasy pizza late at night after a full day of drinking

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, topanga49er said:

Hi.  You will love Wonder.  Don't want to hijack this review, but thought I'd add in our own thoughts.  We were just on 3/19 and it was amazing!  Everyone can find little things they didn't like, but we were very happy overall.

First time with Deluxe Beverage pkg and would not do it any other way again.  So convenient, so easy and really makes sense to try out all things alcoholic and non.  We also did the 3 specialty dining instead of the ultimate dining pkg.  It worked best for us bc with four port days sometimes you do not want to run back for a big meal.  We only had two sea days; maybe would do ultimate specialty dining if we had more sea days.

Did not eat at main dining room so could not speak about that.  Two nights in coastal kitchen were fine; Paid for hooked additional and it was just ok:  Note: all the menus on line show a two pound lobster.  New menu is only 1.25lb lobster.  Kind of bummed about that, and waiters were very pushy for extra tip.

Chops was excellent, Izumi sushi was good with amazing service, and we loved Wonderland.  We felt a bit rushed in there, and the Mad Hatter was not around but overall very cool.  Will go back.

Shows were good. 365 and Intense were best.

Comment on the suites:  We had the 1 bdroom ATS on deck 11 with a balcony next door for our girls.  It was very nice, loved the large balcony views and room was spacious with a ton of storage.  But last time we were on an Oasis class we were in CLS, and I missed being on 17th floor.  Something calmer and less frantic and trafficky up there.  Yes, very good problem to have, but thought I'd mention it bc price is very similar for CLS and ATS, and have seen posts with people wondering which to go with. CLS feels more like a suite if that makes sense.  Walk to room was not bad; I'd heard a lot of concern about that but did not bother us.  Suite sundeck was great and Kenny was an AMAZING concierge.

Royal was very good about crediting back excursions on coco cay due to bad weather.  Loved the coco cay beach club lunch even in the rain.  Kids thought the thrill park was "meh"; lines too long and slides not as good as on the ship.

Flowrider lines were not bad, and they gave everyone 4-5 minutes on it.  Lots of fun.  Overall amazing.  If you have any questions happy to answer.  I would have done a separate mini review, but not sure how...

Did you decide to order hooked lobster?  While  the lobster was fairly small, they bring you two giant claws per person.   And obviously, everyone is different, we were not thrilled with wonderland. 

BTW. we were also onboard 3/19 

m

25 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Thanks for the free food update.

This will be my first time trying El Loco Fresh... lines around the corner??? 😲

I had more Sorrento's on Indy last Summer/Fall due to lack of other options than I've had in years, don't eat much when on Oasis-class but always wind up having it a few times.

Edited by OCSC Mike

38 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Dinner tonight at 150 Central.

Best meal yet.

start with the cucumber martini; scallops and Caesar salad; veal medallions and lamb Wellington; PNut Butter Chocolate tort, Fried Cheese cake for dessert.

E98CCFBA-729A-4C7F-9F1A-686B623621F4.jpeg

B4C69AE0-4870-41E5-9DB4-FFF4842F8145.jpeg

0321164E-D10A-4755-9360-483CDE42A294.jpeg

6B35A126-8316-43F2-B786-EE28D160AC69.jpeg

04AE7CDC-8113-4865-9956-F469EB264E20.jpeg

A6A79785-44EA-45F6-B722-E66F36A03304.jpeg

We love 150 central and lest favorites are hooked and wonderland. 

38 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Did you decide to order hooked lobster?  While  the lobster was fairly small, they bring you two giant claws per person.   And obviously, everyone is different, we were not thrilled with wonderland. 

m

I did get the lobster, and the two claws.  It was good, no doubt, and my husband ate two plates of those cheese biscuits himself!  Just not sure I would do that again, while I definitely would do the other three.  My sights are set for Icon in '25 for daughters graduation celebration, with hopefully a couple of little weekend cruises to get us over the hump from emerald to Diamond...

Wonderland was more of a unique experience than delicious food.  My husband went to windjammer after 🤷‍♀️ But the desserts were so cool...

43 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

m

Did you have a good time?  This was our fourth Oasis class trip, so looking forward to Icon...  Am excited because I am over the western caribbean; going east next time.

Did you do an excursion in Nassau?  We did blue lagoon beach break, and it was the one day I could have stayed on the ship.  We LOVED the horseback ride in ocean in Jamaica, and had fun at both Labadee and coco cay even though coco cay weather was not great.