Medallion app - I don't have a smart phone!!

Milashka

Hello, I am not good with electronics, won't have a cell phone or tablet or laptop or... 

Can I still go on a cruise without those? Should that medallion be connected to a phone?

If yes, can I still enjoy the cruise without a medallion? 

• Like 1

you will want the medallion...small quarter sized device that takes the place of the old cruise card...it will unlock your door, ID you for dinner etc., get you on & off the ship

you do not need the app on a phone...neither of my travel companions ever use the app (I do their check in for them, but you can do it on the website or not do it & have things done at the port)...it can be helpful if you are tech savvy, but many prefer to lock their devices up for the crusie & never use them you will be fine & it should not impact your enjoyment of your cruise at all

• Like 1

Yes - the app can do things like look up the ship's schedule, or menus, or order a drink to your chair and so forth, but you don't need it to enjoy your cruise.  Instead of a cruise card, you will receive a medallion that you use to open your cabin door, and purchase things with.  If you haven't used the app to do the online check-in, it's not an issue, there just might be a little bit of delay during embarcation. Even without a phone, you will still have a great time, so don't stress about it - it will be alright!

Edited by Qextor
  • Like 2

I NEVER use my phone on a cruise.  First thing I do when I get to our cabin is to turn it off and put it in the safe until we are getting ready to leave the ship for good.

I like the medallion and we have not had any issues with it.  Some folks carry their phones everywhere and order their drinks using it, etc.  Nope.  Frankly I need the exercise walking to the bar to get my drinks.  All 50' of the walk that it often is.

• Like 9

19 minutes ago, Milashka said:

Oh, so I misunderstood. I do not need a phone to use a medallion. Whew! 😊

It is confusing because they call them by the same name...

Medallion

Medallion App

Medallion class ships

& so on

the Medallion looks like this & comes with a clear plastic holder & a lanyard (you can buy other holders for it if you wish or just toss it in your pocket...it can go in the pool or shower)

medallion.thumb.jpg.d338c9c1b6906c9a7ea7236f4b498ab9.jpg

on the website when you are in your cruise, in the middle of the page you will see this, as you can see, under the links to download the app is a link to use the web version....but again, if you have problems don't stress over it, they will help you at the port if you need it

image.thumb.png.4ea0fcb0eec7d8881cd31464354dc18f.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How did we ever unlock our cabin doors before they invented and foisted the medallion card upon us?   Using my cell phone to fill out my medallion login stuff was such a pain that I gave up.  If I can't do at easily at embarkation they can take the medallion and put it you know where and I will use the old fashioned pass card.  To me it is just a bad solution looking for a nonexistent problem.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

It is confusing because they call them by the same name...

Medallion

Medallion App

Medallion class ships

& so on

the Medallion looks like this & comes with a clear plastic holder & a lanyard (you can buy other holders for it if you wish or just toss it in your pocket...it can go in the pool or shower)

medallion.thumb.jpg.d338c9c1b6906c9a7ea7236f4b498ab9.jpg

on the website when you are in your cruise, in the middle of the page you will see this, as you can see, under the links to download the app is a link to use the web version....but again, if you have problems don't stress over it, they will help you at the port if you need it

image.thumb.png.4ea0fcb0eec7d8881cd31464354dc18f.png

It seems that the Medallion app has been recently renamed the Princess app.

• Like 1

we do not have smartphones. yes - medallion will come in the mail before you leave.  you will use it to enter your room and that is about all.  oh, you can use it in shops to buy things, or when you go get specialty coffees/drinks etc you will show them your medallion.  even if you have the drink package you will show your medallion to the bar tender. 

you will have the princess events list which is the old patter on your bed each night. you also can use the television in your room to view various things.

use your computer at home to register - princess now has a web option, to do this. you can also set up dining times at different dining rooms, book excursions, etc. 

so - if you have a medallion and smartphone you can order food/drink anywhere on the ship and they will deliver it to you.

but, like i said above, a smartphone is not needed. the medallion is identification leaving/entering the ship, buying things on the ship, opening your room.  you should wear it or keep it in your pocket while on your cruise. if you go ashore, also take it with you, to use to get back onboard.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, cruiseray said:

yes - medallion will come in the mail before you leave.

Note, however, that arrival by mail is limited to U.S. residents, and is only free if you have purchased either the Plus or Premium Packages.  If you purchase only the basic fare, medallion home delivery is $10 per order.

From the Q&A section on the website:

You will be receiving a complimentary Medallion device and lanyard as part of your cruise experience. For any guests with a Plus or Premier package, you may order these items delivered to your home (for U.S. guests only) for no extra shipping fees. If you do not have the package, you pay a $10 flat fee to have these delivered to your home. Or you could choose to pick them up at the departure port for no extra fees.

Edited by JimmyVWine

I 'believe' you can use your cabin TV to access some of the information that would be on your smartphone app that you don't have.  Not sure that has been posted here before, if so, sorry for the duplication

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Milashka said:

Hello, I am not good with electronics, won't have a cell phone or tablet or laptop or... 

Can I still go on a cruise without those? Should that medallion be connected to a phone?

If yes, can I still enjoy the cruise without a medallion? 

You can get the medallion and use it without a phone. You can also go to guest services and get a regular cruise card. I lock my phone in the room safe and don't use it at all. 

• Like 1

Are they still printing Princess patters to leave on your bed each nite? I do not plan to turn my phone on as I like to use the Patter to figure out what times, what events might interest me and I carry THAT with me.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, remydiva said:

Are they still printing Princess patters to leave on your bed each nite? I do not plan to turn my phone on as I like to use the Patter to figure out what times, what events might interest me and I carry THAT with me.

Yes, Patters are still printed...though they are no longer called "Patters".  I can't recall exactly what the name is now...it's something very generic...like "Event Listing" or something equally bland.  When you come back from dinner (usually) there will be one on your bed.  And they also have been reduced down to only 1 page (front & back) so you don't have to wade through all the sales hype.

• Like 1