OCEANIA CRUISES RAISES THE BAR ON ENTERTAINMENT UNVEILING BROADWAY-CALIBER ENTERTAINMENT ABOARD NEWEST SHIP VISTA

RetiredLifer

OCEANIA CRUISES RAISES THE BAR ON ENTERTAINMENT UNVEILING BROADWAY-CALIBER ENTERTAINMENT ABOARD NEWEST SHIP VISTA
Star-Studded Production Team Includes "Dancing with the Stars" Dance Pro and Choreographer Britt Stewart
MIAMI, March 30, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Oceania Cruises, the world's leading culinary- and destination-focused cruise line, has unveiled new show-stopping entertainment options on board Vista, the first of two ships in the line's new Allura Class. In addition to introducing new signature dining offerings, destination-rich itineraries and the most luxurious standard accommodations at sea, Oceania Cruises is completely reimagining Vista's entertainment program starting with three uniquely designed shows when she launches in May 2023. Headliners, The Anchor Inn and Into the Night are Broadway-caliber, immersive-style productions featuring recognizable songs by some of the world's most beloved artists and contemporary dance numbers led by "Dancing with the Stars" choreographer Britt Stewart.
"With Vista, our first new ship in more than a decade, we have worked thoughtfully on how to raise the bar even higher on ourselves in every department," said Frank A. Del Rio, President of Oceania Cruises. "Long renowned for our stunning design, exquisite culinary offerings and intriguing itineraries, it was time to put the same 'wow' into our entertainment programming. This new lineup is groundbreaking for us, and these three new productions are just the beginning. We are extremely excited to unveil our never-before-seen series of elevated entertainment for our guests to enjoy aboard Vista."
"I'm honored to have the opportunity to develop innovative shows for Oceania Cruises, pushing limits on creativity and theatrics, assembling a star-studded team with credentials

spanning television, movies, Broadway, the West End and beyond, resulting in programs that are truly fresh and fun for Vista," shared Kai Alan Carrier, Director of Artistic Theatrical Entertainment, a new role created at Oceania Cruises to elevate entertainment offerings. "Knowing that our guests love recognizable songs and, more importantly, are lively and adventurous, I leaned forward with our offerings. The goal was to truly offer entertainment from a new perspective, which I know we have achieved."
THE PRODUCTIONS
Vista will feature three main productions when she launches in May, each with a distinct personality, with another to follow later in the year. Thoughtfully created by a passionate team dedicated exclusively to each of the shows, an extensive team of performers, producers and technicians has been involved in bringing Oceania Cruises' newest entertainment to life.
Into the Night, choreographed by renowned "Dancing with the Stars" pro dancer and choreographer Britt Stewart, is a dance-centric show featuring an unexpected mix of dance, style and design meant to invoke the excitement of the Video Music Awards, the glamour of "American Idol" and the high-energy drive of "Dancing with the Stars." The contemporary elegance of the show is inspired by the essence of Vista herself. Sophisticated and exciting, Into the Night will leave audiences awestruck as it combines dance with design, exuding a powerful feeling only a live stage show can offer.
Headliners takes guests on a VIP concert journey showcasing a stunning cast performing some of the most recognizable songs in the world. Celebrating the music, not just the artist, Headliners approaches pop favorites in an inspirational way that is simply designed to be a great time. Led by Vista's talented onboard vocalists, complete with fun choreography, guests will have an unforgettable night with music from some of their favorite artists, such as Cher, Celine Dion, the Bee Gees and Adele, in a way they have never seen before.
The Anchor Inn is a light-hearted UK-centric song-and-dance performance with a sprinkle of West End flare. Set in the lively Anchor Inn Pub, a group of regulars celebrates good times, sporting losses and romantic wins to the tune of chart-topping hits by artists like Dusty Springfield, Rod Stewart, Madness, Shirley Bassey and Tom Jones. This hand-clapping, toe- tapping production will leave guests feeling decidedly British, no matter where they are sailing.
An additional edutainment-style production titled The Music Triangle will open later this year, which tells the roots story of nearly all music we love today.
The 1,200-guest Vista sets sail on her inaugural voyage on May 13, 2023, from Rome. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

So mostly stale decades old songs, yeah, way to move us out of the 40's and 50's music and into the 60's, 70's and 80's (plus Adele from the current century).  The "Broadway caliber" hype was actually laugh out loud funny.

What a great reason for a late dinner and a good night's sleep.

Edited by shepherd really
  • Haha 3

To me it's a positive development, but I guess some people will see only negatives..

For those who don't like the shows there is a great option: going to bed. The beds are very comfortable, I think even the biggest critics would agree.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

This sounds like a great improvement. I hope that they use this model for the other ships as well. The entertainment staff on the ships are generally very talented. It is a shame that Oceania puts them onstage to perform dated content. Last year on the Regatta a few of the cast members were "ill" and couldn't perform. One evening they did a substitute show where each performer did 2-3 songs that were at the top of their repertoire. It was the best show we had ever seen on Oceania. One of the young ladies did a version of Proud Mary that would have knocked Tina Turner's socks off. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, shepherd really said:

So mostly stale decades old songs, yeah, way to move us out of the 40's and 50's music and into the 60's, 70's and 80's (plus Adele from the current century).  The "Broadway caliber" hype was actually laugh out loud funny.

What a great reason for a late dinner and a good night's sleep.

Great, more seats for the rest of us. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Our priorities are to keep food as the highest priority, next to that is to maintain high quality lecturers and thirdly is to keep the wonderful incentives to participate in as many activities as possible. That is what is bringing us back to Oceania. 

We are in the last 2 days of being on a Viking ship  our last with Viking. We are using up covid credits. While waiting for this V cruise, we have done 3 O cruises and just hope the same quality we recently enjoyed on the Riviera in the Carib, continues. This decision is not based on the types of entertainment options are or would be available in the future.

• Like 3

While it is very nice that “O” is trying to elevate the level of cast entertainment offered on board, I don’t see how they ever could reach the level offered on the mega-ships, including sister line NCL, which offer full Broadway shows, on several ships.  But then, evening shows are not as important on “O’s” port-intensive itineraries…

I think one improvement that “O” could make, that wouldn’t take much effort, would be to switch shows between ships, whenever casts are replaced for breaks.  Since there are no elaborate sets used, that shouldn’t be too hard.

I was a bit disappointed to see the same production shows on the current Insignia ATW cruise, that I saw on the 2019 ATW…

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bob brown said:

I think one improvement that “O” could make, that wouldn’t take much effort, would be to switch shows between ships, whenever casts are replaced for breaks.  Since there are no elaborate sets used, that shouldn’t be too hard.

I was a bit disappointed to see the same production shows on the current Insignia ATW cruise, that I saw on the 2019 ATW…

Maybe they just  need NEW shows 😉

They have the same shows  on all the ships  just different cast members

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe they just  need NEW shows 😉

They have the same shows  on all the ships  just different cast members

I wasn’t aware of that, having only been on the Insignia.  Thanks!

And so, I agree!🙂

6 hours ago, bob brown said:

While it is very nice that “O” is trying to elevate the level of cast entertainment offered on board, I don’t see how they ever could reach the level offered on the mega-ships, including sister line NCL, which offer full Broadway shows, on several ships.  But then, evening shows are not as important on “O’s” port-intensive itineraries…

It is comparing apples to oranges. Mega ship stages are much larger allowing better production teams. Also O allocates more dollars to food than entertainment, singing those songs aren't free. Rather they spend their dollars on culinary than show productions.  Just my.opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, kibutzer said:

It is comparing apples to oranges. Mega ship stages are much larger allowing better production teams. Also O allocates more dollars to food than entertainment, singing those songs aren't free. Rather they spend their dollars on culinary than show productions.  Just my.opinion.

Agree. They don't pretend to compete with the mega ships in the entertainment department, it would be impossible. But the fact that they are trying to improve is positive. 

• Like 2

Only my guess but I think this will only be in the new ships going forward.  I also believe (and could well be wrong) that new Vista changes are geared towards bringing in the next generation of Oceania customers.  I believe the removal of Jacques and replacement of Embers along with the size of the ship is evidence that O is looking, over the next 20 years, to bring in upper middle class and lower upper class Americans now in the late forties and early fifties who are empty nester, getting ready to retire and have a history of mainline cruising often with their families.  This customer, I believe, is quite different than the ones who have made O what it is over its history but who are, for the most part, now getting older.  Time will tell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woofa said:

Only my guess but I think this will only be in the new ships going forward.  I also believe (and could well be wrong) that new Vista changes are geared towards bringing in the next generation of Oceania customers.  I believe the removal of Jacques and replacement of Embers along with the size of the ship is evidence that O is looking, over the next 20 years, to bring in upper middle class and lower upper class Americans now in the late forties and early fifties who are empty nester, getting ready to retire and have a history of mainline cruising often with their families.  This customer, I believe, is quite different than the ones who have made O what it is over its history but who are, for the most part, now getting older.  Time will tell.

I believe this is primarily true. 

We are lower 70s. On our Sirena cruise in October, we were probably a decade below the median age aboard. In February, we were about 6-7 years below median age. That upper 50+% probably enjoys Perry Como around the pool and Peggy Lee and older entertainer’s music. A decade ago they were still doing Glen Miller stuff in the show Lounges. So some progression in a decade. 

I question whether they can wait another decade to even get to 70s. Bringing back “ The Brill Building “ show from 2018-2019 was a horrible decision imo. That ceased operations in 64-65.

Perhaps, time will tell, Oceania has decided to skip over a couple decades and bring on music, on the Vista, that appeals to the next generation of cruisers.

• Like 1

I doubt O will ever ask me, but if they do...I would really like a variety show format more than a Broadway show format. Shows like Carol Burnett, Donny and Marie Osmond, and the (Barbara) Mandrell Sisters were very popular in (I think) the late 70s and early 80s; my whole family would watch them together. And why not throw in a little Lawrence Welk while we're at it (a Lawrence Welk/ Weird Al mashup might be entertaining 😉 ). Some singing, dancing, and comedy skits could be fun and hit a variety of tastes, plus it would fit the small-theater space better than a huge production show.

• Like 2

We have enjoyed the shows in the past (except for a few solo music acts) including the comedy acts.  I believe any musical show improvement is a good thing.  

I would be nice on longer cruises that they sprinkle in an education night for guests on various issues that the guests on that cruise could be polled on prior to embarkation.  

We will be on Vista in May and look forward to any improvements - food, cabins, drinks and shows, Expect all of these to be improved. However, as in our past 250 nights on Oceania we've only gone to maybe 5 shows, what we would most appreciate is an earlier show time. Particularly on At Sea days. If you haven't guessed, we go to bed early. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I’m holding out for the Rudy Vallee show. 

😂😂

The original Crooner from the late 30s!

I’m sure several of my cruises had multiple Rudy Vallee fans, but do any of them stay up to 9:30 to watch a show? 🤔

On 4/1/2023 at 3:55 PM, AMHuntFerry said:

I doubt O will ever ask me, but if they do...I would really like a variety show format more than a Broadway show format. Shows like Carol Burnett, Donny and Marie Osmond, and the (Barbara) Mandrell Sisters were very popular in (I think) the late 70s and early 80s; my whole family would watch them together. And why not throw in a little Lawrence Welk while we're at it (a Lawrence Welk/ Weird Al mashup might be entertaining 😉 ). Some singing, dancing, and comedy skits could be fun and hit a variety of tastes, plus it would fit the small-theater space better than a huge production show.

Well I'm ok with a variety show, but I'd like to see it a bit more modern than what you've described. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Well I'm ok with a variety show, but I'd like to see it a bit more modern than what you've described. 

I just meant that if we're limited to the these decades, variety shows were a thing. Chances are I will never love the music that is chosen; I'm eclectic but pop rarely does it for me (with notable exceptions of course). But hey, I love Glen Miller (prefer Benny Goodman and Tommy Dorsey) so what do I know? (BTW, swing was quite popular among the GenX/Millenial crowd about 20 years ago)