Influencers onboard

zitsky

18 minutes ago, steamboats said:

@Charles4515 the last time I had this note was in the Christening Cruise of the Norwegian Prima. So it's not just in Germany 😉. And once more a cruise ship is not the public. DH is a cruise journalist and even when we are on a private cruise we do inform the cruise line that we are onboard and do take photos. Usually the cruise lines are even more strict when you take video. Legally you do need the consent of every person in a video or a photo. 

steamboats 

I think the note is a courtesy. I have never gotten any notes in over 60 cruises and there have been occasions where the cruise line was taking videos. 

There are thousands of passengers taking videos and photos and the cruise line only say’s don’t take them during shows. That is because of copyright. Legally in the US you don’t need consent, I can take video in a grocery store for example without consent. On a cruise ship unless they tell me not to I will take as much video as I please. I have taken lots of videos and photos since 1996 and no problem. Not for commercial use though.  

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

Actually you´re not in the public on a cruise ship and therefore anyone taking videos needs your consent. Taking a video you also need a consent of the cruise line. When the cruise line is taking videos you get a note telling you that you have to report at the reception if you don´t want to be in that video.

steamboats

When does the Statue of Limitations run out? 🙄 I've never heard of, seen it published, been advised or asked to sign a wavier or consent form from the cruise lines on any of our cruises. Whether it's me taking personal video's or the cruise line videoing. Many years ago when Celebrity did your cruise in review (or something like that) and showed it the last night of the cruise in the theater. We appeared in a few canid shots. 

Edited by davekathy

It's no problem taking photos for private use. But private use does not mean you are allowed to publish the video in YouTube or any other public platform.

I've gotten many of those notes usually hidden somewhere in the daily program.

And those influencers and content creators are publishing their material which is no private use anymore.

Photos or videos of minors are an absolute no go.

steamboats 

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

When does the Statue of Limitations run out? 🙄 I've never heard of, seen it published, been advised or asked to sign a wavier or consent form from the cruise lines on any of our cruises.

As long as you only take them for private use you don't need anything.

steamboats 

5 minutes ago, steamboats said:

As long as you only take them for private use you don't need anything.

steamboats 

I know I don't for my personal videos. You cut out the part of my post that also mentioned Celebrity that I was commenting on from your claim that the cruise lines give you a note. They don't. Maybe you aren't talking about Celebrity(?). 

Edited by davekathy

10 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Many years ago when Celebrity did your cruise in review (or something like that) and showed it the last night of the cruise in the theater. We appeared in a few canid shots. 

I was in quite a few of those on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. They were sold and I never got a note. 

• Like 1

@davekathy the videos of your cruise X did show or even sell you were only shown onboard and never published in a way the whole world could watch them (like on YouTube). 

We're talking about videos which are published by influencers/content creators. For publishing you need the consent of the people appearing in them.

steamboats 

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I was in quite a few of those on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. They were sold and I never got a note. 

As I just said those were not published but just shown onboard and you were able to purchase them. When you've purchased the video you did not get the right to show them in public or put them online in any way.

steamboats 

1 minute ago, steamboats said:

@davekathy the videos of your cruise X did show or even sell you were only shown onboard and never published in a way the whole world could watch them (like on YouTube). 

We're talking about videos which are published by influencers/content creators. For publishing you need the consent of the people appearing in them.

steamboats 

My real disagreement is your comment, "When the cruise line is taking videos you get a note telling you that you have to report at the reception if you don´t want to be in that video". Not true in my experiences, no matter the cruise line.  And in a follow up post you say, "I've gotten many of those notes usually hidden somewhere in the daily program". If it's hidden in the Celebrity Today you and the rest of us did not get a note.

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

My real disagreement is your comment, "When the cruise line is taking videos you get a note telling you that you have to report at the reception if you don´t want to be in that video". Not true in my experiences, no matter the cruise line.  And in a follow up post you say, "I've gotten many of those notes usually hidden somewhere in the daily program". If it's hidden in the Celebrity Today you and the rest of us did not get a note.

Is it in the cruise contract?

On most tickets and in event contracts there is often a clause indicating that you have agreed to be photographed or videotaped by the organization as one of the terms of entry associated with the ticket. There was a case here last year where a woman and her child were on photos posted at a major event. The woman claimed she had not consented but it’s right there in the Terms of Entry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Sorry, for the misunderstanding. If the cruise line is taking video material they want to publish (like use it in a video about a christening) they need your consent and then you will find a note in the daily program telling you that throughout the cruise video material is taken and if you don't want to be in the final product you should let them know.

When they only use the material for a Cruise video shown onboard and for your private memory then they don't need to ask you. That's private use and no commercial use.

The influencers/content creators are publishing their material and therefore it's no private use anymore but commercial (which doesn't mean you have to earn money with it - it's sufficent that you publish it in a way everyone can watch it).

steamboats 

12 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

On most tickets and in event contracts there is often a clause indicating that you have agreed to be photographed or videotaped by the organization as one of the terms of entry associated with the ticket. There was a case here last year where a woman and her child were on photos posted at a major event. The woman claimed she had not consented but it’s right there in the Terms of Entry.

Does that mean I can walk up to you and start snapping photos of you because I think you’re nice eye candy?  Certainly there is a point where it becomes harassment?

Are you saying that only applies to the event organizer?  I think my question still applies.

Edited by zitsky

26 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Does that mean I can walk up to you and start snapping photos of you because I think you’re nice eye candy?  Certainly there is a point where it becomes harassment?

Are you saying that only applies to the event organizer?  I think my question still applies.

The organiser holds the right to use your image in photographs & videos and release publicly. Read the cruise contract if you have not already. It’s in the small

print at the back. 

As I commented many replies ago, the organizer, in this case the cruise line, also has to be reasonable so they don’t make pax angry and risk negative PR. The cruise line will be reasonable, other passengers may or may not. That’s between you & the person doing the filming. Guests do agree to abide by a passenger conduct policy so if someone is recording you or photographing you and you don’t like it then speak to the person with the camera then report it. You have more recourse on a ship than you do in a random bar or shopping mall. 

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

When they only use the material for a Cruise video shown onboard and for your private memory then they don't need to ask you. That's private use and no commercial use.

How is a company putting together a video and then selling it to their customers on that sailing, not commercial use?

You seem to be confusing how far of reach a video has with commercial use.  Commercial use includes ANY video a company sells.  

And laws about the expectation of privacy and getting consent vary greatly from country to country.  So there is no one blanket rule about what consent is required before a video can be posted on YouTube or sold commercially.  The US has quite lax laws in this area.  

• Like 1

I think it depends on the sailing. Our charter next week made us sign a waiver stating no photos/videos I take, regardless of who's in them, could be made public without getting their permission, but that we agreed to be in THEIR photos unless we tell them otherwise.

Are you jeopardizing others?.

In every digital photo, latitude and longitude is embedded.  For the sake of earning some money or fame on Youtube and other media, do you realize you might be violating or endangering someone?  Probably not.     From someone who had a stalker, I m p*ssed others take photos or videos and not block out faces

4 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

Are you questing me or yourself or just a general question. 

Were talking Celebrity cruises here. 

Edited by davekathy

4 hours ago, steamboats said:

Sorry, for the misunderstanding. If the cruise line is taking video material they want to publish (like use it in a video about a christening) they need your consent and then you will find a note in the daily program telling you that throughout the cruise video material is taken and if you don't want to be in the final product you should let them know.

The influencers/content creators are publishing their material and therefore it's no private use anymore but commercial (which doesn't mean you have to earn money with it - it's sufficent that you publish it in a way everyone can watch it).

steamboats 

If that's been your experience(s) on Celebrity, I have no further grounds to dispute or disagree with you. 

2 hours ago, PineappleTraveler said:

I think it depends on the sailing. Our charter next week made us sign a waiver stating no photos/videos I take, regardless of who's in them, could be made public without getting their permission, but that we agreed to be in THEIR photos unless we tell them otherwise.

I can see that with a charter cruise and Celebrity is giving you a heads up before anyone boards the ship.

Edited by davekathy

8 hours ago, steamboats said:

Actually you´re not in the public on a cruise ship and therefore anyone taking videos needs your consent. Taking a video you also need a consent of the cruise line. When the cruise line is taking videos you get a note telling you that you have to report at the reception if you don´t want to be in that video.

steamboats

That's not correct.  In order for that to be the case, the cruise line must have in place a policy that specifically states that video is not allowed without the express written consent of the cruise line.  Without that policy put into place, you don't have a "reasonable expectation of privacy".  The only places that you would have that expectation would be in your private room (stateroom) or in restrooms or lockers.  Again, if the cruise line published a "no photography or filming" policy than you would be right.  But a cruise line is still "public" in that you are not in your private property.  You're welcome to do the research on your own, but this is a pretty decent interview conducted with a lawyer who says basically the same thing.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/24/18015374/whyd-you-push-that-button-record-stranger-public

This is a common misunderstanding of the law.  You can be filmed anywhere that there is no reasonable expectation of privacy.  Even on cruise ships.  This is the life blood of paparazzi.  As long as you're in public, you're fair game.

Edited by MobiusHky
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, 1Virgo said:

Are you jeopardizing others?.

In every digital photo, latitude and longitude is embedded.  For the sake of earning some money or fame on Youtube and other media, do you realize you might be violating or endangering someone?  Probably not.     From someone who had a stalker, I m p*ssed others take photos or videos and not block out faces

I am sorry you were stalked. I am not a YouTube influencer but I watch a lot of YouTube videos and I have no problem with them earning money or getting recognition for good work. If you go out in public you are being photographed and videoed all the time. All my neighbors have Ring doorbells and no one has asked me permission about being on their feed that goes to the neighbor net or Amazon. The only thing that is not permitted is video or photos in places where privacy is expected like restrooms or photos of minors. So if you don't want to be recognized all you can do is where a mask in public. As far as location I have it turned off in social media apps.

On 4/1/2023 at 10:42 AM, zitsky said:

So if I want TikTok cruise videos I just search?  How to find the good ones?  I don’t have time to look at all of them because I’m busy looking at cat pictures on Facebook.

So how do we know that you are not an influencer for cats?