Influencers onboard

zitsky

20 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

One thing I do find interesting is some of the ship tour videos. A lot of the ones we watch, even current ones with full ships, the ship is really empty and it is daylight. So they are either one of the first on or they get lucky and everyone gets off the ship at ports. It is actually kind of weird. Perhaps X and other lines give these youtube channels special access for the tour videos, since it is really free advertising for them.

You may be seeing early cruises geared to travel agents and the press.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, desibee said:

Sorry, maybe I'm stupid but I simply don't understand why someone filming or photographing their food hurts you or your dinner in any way.

Maybe a few of you guys need to take a gander at what goes on in a Cruise Critic "live" post that so many of you love doing?  Because I see an awful lot of pics of every morsel.

You are correct, and I don’t follow those or ever comment on a picture of “oh my god that looks so amazing” picture of a vanilla ice cream apple crumble.  Now the person with their camera mounted on a tripod aimed at my table while they chew and describe…yea please stop.

3 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

What about drunk so-called influencers cackling like witches in large groups at dinner?  

Isn't there a HUGE difference between just plain rude people and rude so-called influencers?  Imagine a time before the rise of the so-called influencer.  Everything was perfect.  No one was rude. And we had no one to single out and complain about.  The good old days of 2010!

Sir, this is Cruise Critic.  We’ve all been complaining in here since time began.  😝

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Filming isn't the same as taking a photo of your food. Yes I do lives and have done some filming but I'd never film in a restaurant. 

Filming takes time, they are not taking seconds to film they are continuously filming for the whole thing. That's hours of filming they are doing for YouTube. Unless you are doing a live video it's a lot of retakes and extra filming to make sure you have content.

Yes I watch B&D and I have seen the video in question, it was quite clear not only staff but passengers were unhappy. I saw people in the video with annoyed looks on their face. I've been on MSC my DSLR is quite big as it has extra battery pack on it, I've not been stopped but then I don't film or take pictures with people in. 

When I was on Beyond there was a travel agent filming but they were off in a corner and not bothering anyone, that's how to do it. I know a lot of TAs that film work with the cruise lines but they generally aren't in people's way or work with the line to film.

There are other videos I watch and people will quickly photo/film the food but then do the food review in their room after which personally I think is a better way to do it as you aren't bothering other people.

And for them and many others, it is now their livelihood and sole means of income.  As a result they have become relentless, they gave up their regular jobs during the pandemic and they are not going away.  I don’t need Steven Spielberg type equipment in the dining room or fitness center.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Liao said:

And for them and many others, it is now their livelihood and sole means of income.  As a result they have become relentless, they gave up their regular jobs during the pandemic and they are not going away.  I don’t need Steven Spielberg type equipment in the dining room or fitness center.

They don’t need expensive equipment anymore. They could even do it with some recent iPhones or Android phones. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Liao said:

I mostly agree with you.  I don’t mind if someone is using a cell phone and is just filming their own workout or meal quietly. 

But I don’t want to hear from the next table over, “Lifting a fork to my mouth.  Now I’m chewing.  It’s spicy and sweet.  This $1,000 French Bordeaux is excellent.”  Etc..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I mostly agree with you.  I don’t mind if someone is using a cell phone and is just filming their own workout or meal quietly. 

But I don’t want to hear from the next table over, “Lifting a fork to my mouth.  Now I’m chewing.  It’s spicy and sweet.  This $1,000 French Bordeaux is excellent.”  Etc..

It happened to me in Luminae on the Summit last year.  I was solo and seated at a window table facing into the dining room.  A couple at the table ahead of me, husband back to me, wife facing me, camera propped on tripod and action!  I asked my waiter to ask the man to please move his camera so it was not facing me.  To the camera guys credit, he did so without issue, he and his wife changed seats.  If he had just been taking a photo or asked his waiter to take a photo, no problem, but for the camera to be facing me for my entire meal was more than I was willing to endure.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Liao said:

It happened to me in Luminae on the Summit last year.  I was solo and seated at a window table facing into the dining room.  A couple at the table ahead of me, husband back to me, wife facing me, camera propped on tripod and action!  I asked my waiter to ask the man to please move his camera so it was not facing me.  To the camera guys credit, he did so without issue, he and his wife changed seats.  If he had just been taking a photo or asked his waiter to take a photo, no problem, but for the camera to be facing me for my entire meal was more than I was willing to endure.

I think that's why people complained on MSC.

Like I snap a photo to post on here but not whole filming equipment, I'm already self conscious as it is.

I'm less bothered by influencers filming their dinner than the many many MANY MANY latecomers to the theatre cramming themselves and their big butts and their spilly drinks down the aisles while I'm trying to watch the show.

Can we do something about those?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, desibee said:

I'm less bothered by influencers filming their dinner than the many many MANY MANY latecomers to the theatre cramming themselves and their big butts and their spilly drinks down the aisles while I'm trying to watch the show.

“Spilly drinks” has me giggling. 🤭 

19 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

“Spilly drinks” has me giggling. 🤭 

At least once per cruise I end up wearing someone's gin and tonic or whiskey on the rocks because they can't get to the theater before the lights come down and wander the aisle like lost souls, lifting their phone flashlights like Psyche's lantern and knocking into the elbows of people already seated.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, desibee said:

At least once per cruise I end up wearing someone's gin and tonic or whiskey on the rocks because they can't get to the theater before the lights come down and wander the aisle like lost souls, lifting their phone flashlights like Psyche's lantern and knocking into the elbows of people already seated.

ha last cruise someone near me was singing loudly and out of tune that the performer actually said ‘whoever is singing, stop’ 

I think there is just general lack of consideration these days 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, desibee said:

Who are these people who are only annoyed by one thing?  Your trip reports must be boring.

• Haha 1

On 9/25/2024 at 10:39 AM, Liao said:

Glad to hear that the couple graciously complied. But my thought is: Given how helpful and accommodating the Luminae staff usually is -- why didn't they just request a table in a quiet corner (or booth), so that they could easily film their own meal -- without intruding on the privacy of other diners?🤔

• Like 2

I am very curious as to whether influencers must report the value of their free cruises, meals, hotel rooms, etc. on their taxes. I have participated in a program involving product reviews for an online company and, even though there is no cash payment, the cumulative value of  "free" products over $600 incurs a 1099. 

32 minutes ago, OceanCruise said:

I am very curious as to whether influencers must report the value of their free cruises, meals, hotel rooms, etc. on their taxes. I have participated in a program involving product reviews for an online company and, even though there is no cash payment, the cumulative value of  "free" products over $600 incurs a 1099. 

If they get a free cruise etc whoever provides it must submit a 1099. That is not what the influencers are getting though. Their channels have sponsors who pay them. and yes the income is reported.

21 hours ago, desibee said:

You had me at Psyche's lantern... I'm also horribly embarrassed to admit that, on our last cruise, I placed my spilly drink on the ledge above the row of seats below, which  it's meant for. But there was a subtle raised lip along the center, so my glass tipped over, straight into the collar of the guy below me. I ran and got towels, as did the staff, but his blue language outdid the comic's. (Two other patrons in that row assured me he'd been a jerk from the start and probably deserved it, but still.)

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

You had me at Psyche's lantern... I'm also horribly embarrassed to admit that, on our last cruise, I placed my spilly drink on the ledge above the row of seats below, which  it's meant for. But there was a subtle raised lip along the center, so my glass tipped over, straight into the collar of the guy below me. I ran and got towels, as did the staff, but his blue language outdid the comic's. (Two other patrons in that row assured me he'd been a jerk from the start and probably deserved it, but still.)

I’m not sure why anyone deserves to have a drink poured on them.  I’d be upset too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I’m not sure why anyone deserves to have a drink poured on them.  I’d be upset too.

Lol. Guessing you're a man? While it was a sheer accident--and I knew nothing of this  guy's history, nor am I a drink pourer by nature--let me assure you that many thousands of women, including me, have experienced episodes that perhaps while not resulting in "spilled" drinks, certainly deserved it... Body parts being grabbed, for one.

Edited by sofietucker
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Lol. Guessing you're a man? While it was a sheer accident--and I knew nothing of this  guy's history, nor am I a drink pourer by nature--let me assure you that many thousands of women, including me, have experienced episodes that perhaps while not resulting in "spilled" drinks, certainly deserved it... Body parts being grabbed, for one.

So this guy sexually assaulted you and you “accidentally” poured a drink on him?  Maybe you should tell a staff member?

1 minute ago, sofietucker said:

You've misread my account of the event. I was addressing the comment of whether anyone deserves a drink being poured on them . 

Thousands of women???

Can I go around the ship spilling drinks on people who bother me?  Accidentally, of course.