Trip Insurance

On 3/31/2023 at 7:42 PM, time4u2go said:

Self-insuring.

We always get the RCCL insurance (Allianze). This year we added EA+ which would take care of assisting us if something serious were to happen. Help with doctors (interacting with them on our behalf) and flying us home if necessary. Hope we'll never need them but a relief to have this support.

On 3/31/2023 at 11:37 AM, njkruzer said:

About to renew annual policy with Allianz.  So far no claims but still want insurance. 

We are about to go on our third annual Allianz policy.  

just filed a claim, so we'll see if they make it to a third year.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, luvintravel said:

We always get the RCCL insurance (Allianze). This year we added EA+ which would take care of assisting us if something serious were to happen. Help with doctors (interacting with them on our behalf) and flying us home if necessary. Hope we'll never need them but a relief to have this support.

Good info. Thanks. My existing insurance covers a lot, so I'm very comfortable self insuring. 

On 4/14/2023 at 12:36 PM, Nolefan95 said:

We always get GeoBlue Voyager Choice (affiliated with Blue Cross). I don't really want trip cancellation coverage as the likelihood of me canceling a cruise is extremely small. This policy primarily covers health and evacuation up to $500K and is very cheap. 

exactly .. there is a big difference between a true travel medical policy and trip insurance

I have filed some claims for reimbursement and had no issues with getting them paid.  The first thing I do is call the emergency number on your insurance ID card and inform them of your accident and they make a record of.  Once I got all the payments from my medical insurance I took them and finalized the travel insurance claim.

• Like 1

We were told a long time ago, you cannot have enough medical evacuation coverage. All the general policies from the cruise lines and credit card companies offer trip coverage, but rarely anything about evacuation.

We also use Insuremytrip but opt for at least $350,000 in medical evacuation coverage. Don't know if I will ever need it but for a few extra dollars, for us, it is well worth it.

Cheers

Len

On 4/21/2023 at 1:28 PM, njkruzer said:

We have an annual policy through Allianz, EA+ and usually something through Royal/cruise line. Also our Medicare policy will reimburse for some medical outside the country. I know, over insured. 

Ever had to file a claim? If so, with which company did you make your claim? I've had two policies a couple of times now, but never had a claim. Usually I've gotten the cruise line's policy because it's a good price and has CFAR, but I have additional insurance for more generous medical, evacuation, etc coverage. In my nightmares I can see company A saying, no, you should file with company B, not us. Surely there is some legal logic with which company to file first? I'm sure it's not up to me, that would make too much sense!😉

Doug

16 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Ever had to file a claim? If so, with which company did you make your claim? I've had two policies a couple of times now, but never had a claim. Usually I've gotten the cruise line's policy because it's a good price and has CFAR, but I have additional insurance for more generous medical, evacuation, etc coverage. In my nightmares I can see company A saying, no, you should file with company B, not us. Surely there is some legal logic with which company to file first? I'm sure it's not up to me, that would make too much sense!😉

Doug

Thankfully haven't needed to file a claim.   It's because of the what ifs that we buy insurance for all types of things.   The annual policy even covers us in the states, anything more than 100 miles from home.

We go through insuremytrip com.  Add up what your costs are and use that as a basis. Use their compare tool. You can find a policy that has what is most important to you.  Check with your existing medical policy company to see if they will cover you when you're out of the country.

We get comprehensive coverage. We fly, have hotel costs & the cruise. For us med evac was at the top of our list. On two cruises there was a pax evac'd via helicopter.  Medical coverage was important. The policy will show if they are seconday or not.  Next was trip delay and baggage delay. I look for 6 hours for both but have had to compromise on one or the other.  

I used to know this but forgot. We have TriCare for Life with my USN military retirement. I believe it is valid outside the USA, but only as a secondary payer. I never count on it for anything though, I buy insurance as if I didn't have it.

Doug

8 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I used to know this but forgot. We have TriCare for Life with my USN military retirement. I believe it is valid outside the USA, but only as a secondary payer. I never count on it for anything though, I buy insurance as if I didn't have it.

Doug

Yeah.  Anyone buying trip insurance for medical reasons should call their primary insurance company to determine what their coverage would be on the ship or in varying ports.  This way they don’t over or under insure.   

On 4/22/2023 at 8:05 AM, shippmates said:

I have filed some claims for reimbursement and had no issues with getting them paid.  The first thing I do is call the emergency number on your insurance ID card and inform them of your accident and they make a record of.  Once I got all the payments from my medical insurance I took them and finalized the travel insurance claim.

What company were you insure through? I had an instance where my wife broke her hand and glasses the first night of a cruise and the policy didn't pay to replace glasses or any of her copays from surgery/physical therapy because those expenses happened AFTER out cruise. It's not like I could have gotten the glasses replace prior to returning home or gone through 3 months of PT.

We buy our trip/medical insurance through tripinsured.    We've had to use it twice in the past several years, most recently this past Fall while on our NE/Canada cruise while on Adventure of the Seas.  My DH required emergency Gallbladder Surgery;  we had to disembark in Halifax, Canada, where DH was taken by ambulance to the Hospital there.  We had bought the Medical Insurance.  Everything was covered, with the exception of the 2 days where just I stayed in the Hotel while he was in the hospital.  Once DH was discharged and joined me at the hotel, the next 5  (hotel) days were covered.  We wound up staying in Halifax for a week, until it was okay for DH to fly home.  Doctors, Hospital, Surgery, Medical Tests, Airfare, etc. were all covered.  

1 hour ago, Subman738 said:

What company were you insure through? I had an instance where my wife broke her hand and glasses the first night of a cruise and the policy didn't pay to replace glasses or any of her copays from surgery/physical therapy because those expenses happened AFTER out cruise. It's not like I could have gotten the glasses replace prior to returning home or gone through 3 months of PT.

I have used Allianz and TravelEx and had no issues with claims.  Before you purchase a policy make sure you read the small print.  The policy should not only include medical but also trip interruption and emergency medical.  That should cover your hotels, meals, and transportation in the city/town where you or your spouse are receiving treatment.  They should even cover your plane tickets home.  If you call the number it is possible they will even book your flights and find your hotel.