Opinion on Pinnacle Class ships, particularly Nieuw Statendam - did you find it too large/crowded?

croozen

We were on the recent 11 day Rotterdam Caribbean cruise. It was our first time on a larger HAL ship.  Trying to leave the World Stage when the music venue crowds overflowed was not fun, but that was not a long delay.  We enjoyed the overall experience including our cabin and veranda.  We had a bit of an issue with what seemed to be rather small bathrooms compared to the same stateroom category on other class ships.  

The Retreat, a private area consisting of tented cabanas, intrigued us.  We heard one person gets a cheap inside cabin and rents a cabana for the entire cruise.  A cabana, hot tub, and private service seems to be a very good idea.

• Like 2

Last five cruises have been on PInnacle classes -- all pre-Covid -- and mainly TAs where no one is getting off the ship.  Lido can get busy at lunch time, and finding a table around the midship pool was sometimes a challenge, and that's really the only time I personally noticed that there were 2600+ ppl on board.  

Not a big sit down lunch person -- so the grab-and-go / takeaway options they have suit me perfectly.  Add the dining venue and entertainment / Music Walk options, I personally would find it hard to go back to a smaller ship (and I have 188 days combined on them).  YMMV.     Scott.  

• Like 2

Even without mobility issues, we would take the elevator to one of the a public decks and use it traverse our way across the ship. Then take the closest elevator back to our cabin deck. We never felt the need to ever do this on the smaller ships.

This obviously was a round about way to get around the Pinnacle class ship (Konigsdam), but we simply did not like trekking down those endless narrow hallways either. That was our fix when facing those long hikes. We did find the three banks of  Pinnacle elevators were speedy, quiet and never required a long wait.

Plus there were a remarkable number of room service trays left in the hallways, making one more impediment for anyone using a scooter. These could have been "covid cabin" trays, so this may be a new reality on all HAL ships now when they still require quarantine.

We were on the Kdam in November. With my mobility issues, it took 40-45 minutes to walk from our aft cabin to forward venues, with no place to stop and rest along the way, had to stop and lean against a wall to take a break - I really missed the bench in the elevator area.  There were people everywhere and it was very hard to get through the crowds and a lot of stopping to let those mobility blessed scurry by. I know We wont be sailing Pinnacle class again. If 5he day comes all of the smaller ships are gone, we won’t sail HAL again. It’s a shame after over 20 years.

• Like 2

We were on the Koningsdam the week before the Christmas sailing along with 2900 passengers. It was disappointing that we never got to try the Royal Dutch Cafe or the pizza place as there were no tables available to sit and enjoy the food. The Lido pool area was totally packed and so very loud. The Lido was packed too and there were long lines for the dining room.

We were so glad to have a verandah and be able to order in lunch on the sea days. Breakfast in the dining room worked as long as we were there 15 minutes before opening. We ate dinner in the Pinnacle, Tamarind and Sel de Mer on sea days - luckily 5 star. 

In the future I will pay attention not only to avoiding around holidays and probably 7 day cruises, but also to what special fares are being offered, such as Kids Sail Free on our cruise.

Edited by ScottishMaid
  • Like 3

We did a 2 week Caribbean B2B in November/December that ran over the US Thanksgiving holiday on the NS, and as Canadians we forgot how big a deal Thanksgiving is for y'all.  The holiday week  was busy (2900+, lots of families, kids, etc.), and the following week was more manageable (~2600).

The Lido pool was too busy the first week to use, except later in the day. It was fine the second week.

The Lido market was doable outside of prime hours both weeks, but much better the second week.

The main dining room was slower the first week but decent enough, and fine the second week.

Speciality dining was fine both weeks, but much more booked the first week.

Nami sushi wasn't busy either week (and we ate there when we wanted some quiet).

The Retreat area was fantastic both weeks, and similarly quiet both weeks.

Disembarkation was a bit busier the first week, but didn't get in our way either week.

We were able to eat at all of the fun venues (Dutch, Dive in, etc.) both weeks. Music venues and shows were fine too.

A busier week is not our ideal, so we also will be avoiding it in the future. But, for the right itinerary we would be fine with a busy ship.

• Thanks 1

We love this size. We sailed the Koningsdam first in 2019 in the Caribbea. Only the size of the World Stage was disappointing (as already mentioned above). The availability of more speciality restaurants and the dedicated CO restaurant was a big improvement. We sailed the Rotterdam this past October for their 150th Transatlantic. We never had a problem getting into the World Stage this trip. Four months later we were on the Zaandam and while I appreciate the coziness of this size, I prefer now the spaciousness and extras of the Pinnacle class. It’s just about the right size for a extended day sailing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We sailed Nieuw Statendam in '19 and loved it - so much so that after sailing with Oceania in 2021 it stayed with us in our minds. Based on quality versus cost, it was a great experience.

Just off a 14 day B2B in the Caribbean (March 18 - April 1, 2023). Full to the gills - not sure if that was the case in '19. But it was a horrible experience for me. Overflowing everywhere, everything a wait. 

MDR was a disaster, leaving you to eat at the buffet unless you were willing to sit and sit and sit. Food was not terrible, but it was after all a buffet. Like shoveling food into your mouth. Staff themselves were scurrying to find napkins to wash to have for each sitting. Desserts felt like they came from a high school cafeteria, complete with aluminum pie trays. 

Comedian Vince Acevedo packed the theater, to the extent it was consistently SRO and no available seats. (He was hilarious.) Both shows, and he performed on two nights each cruise.

Not only will I never sail the Pinnacle class again, I'm done with HAL. Each his own, of course, but I loved the Vollendam, Eurodam and HAL generally before this. 

I was on the Nieuw Statendam 2X in February/March cruises to Caribbean.  Ship was full.  Under staffed, they do all they can, but way understaffed.  MDR was very slow for breakfast and some dinner time slots.  Ended up missing the shows due to dinner taking so long.  It is a beautiful ship, but there is a distinct lack of seating for those with mobility issues in the areas you have to wait ~ Guest Services, MDR, at elevators. no benches or seating.  long lines for everthing it seems.  The tender process in Cayman was horrendous due to the rough water, we decided to just not get off the ship as our excursion was cancelled.  They are doing the best they can, but I still prefer the smaller ships!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, AlexCherie said:

We sailed Nieuw Statendam in '19 and loved it - so much so that after sailing with Oceania in 2021 it stayed with us in our minds. Based on quality versus cost, it was a great experience.

Just off a 14 day B2B in the Caribbean (March 18 - April 1, 2023). Full to the gills - not sure if that was the case in '19. But it was a horrible experience for me. Overflowing everywhere, everything a wait. 

MDR was a disaster, leaving you to eat at the buffet unless you were willing to sit and sit and sit. Food was not terrible, but it was after all a buffet. Like shoveling food into your mouth. Staff themselves were scurrying to find napkins to wash to have for each sitting. Desserts felt like they came from a high school cafeteria, complete with aluminum pie trays. 

Comedian Vince Acevedo packed the theater, to the extent it was consistently SRO and no available seats. (He was hilarious.) Both shows, and he performed on two nights each cruise.

Not only will I never sail the Pinnacle class again, I'm done with HAL. Each his own, of course, but I loved the Vollendam, Eurodam and HAL generally before this. 

Don't give up on HAL entirely if you see a good itinerary on a non-Pinnacle ship. I sailed Eurodam for the first time this winter. I was concerned about the size, as I love the R and Vista ships. The only staffing issues I could see were in MDR where our table was slow (although others around us were not, leading me to think that teams had one table too many to manage) and the midship pool bar staff. Ship was always clean, food was good, Lido service was good. The ship didn't feel crowded or loud (except for BBKing and Billboard, of course). There's something about the step up to the Pinnacles that doesn't work for me. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, VTcruisenut said:

I was on the Nieuw Statendam 2X in February/March cruises to Caribbean.  Ship was full.  Under staffed, they do all they can, but way understaffed.  MDR was very slow for breakfast and some dinner time slots.  Ended up missing the shows due to dinner taking so long.  It is a beautiful ship, but there is a distinct lack of seating for those with mobility issues in the areas you have to wait ~ Guest Services, MDR, at elevators. no benches or seating.  long lines for everthing it seems.  The tender process in Cayman was horrendous due to the rough water, we decided to just not get off the ship as our excursion was cancelled.  They are doing the best they can, but I still prefer the smaller ships!

We’ve been to Cayman on another cruise line. I think the tender process there is horrendous regardless of the weather or size of the ship.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Don't give up on HAL entirely if you see a good itinerary on a non-Pinnacle ship. I sailed Eurodam for the first time this winter. I was concerned about the size, as I love the R and Vista ships. The only staffing issues I could see were in MDR where our table was slow (although others around us were not, leading me to think that teams had one table too many to manage) and the midship pool bar staff. Ship was always clean, food was good, Lido service was good. The ship didn't feel crowded or loud (except for BBKing and Billboard, of course). There's something about the step up to the Pinnacles that doesn't work for me. 

We enjoyed the Veendam on a B2B in Canada/NE. Great itinerary, ship fit like a glove, MDR was fine. And perhaps most importantly, there was access to the Pinnacle DR - booked solid on NS. Part of this naturally is the new "Have Everything" promotion.

It will always be in our top 5 experiences. (Didn't hurt that we got to do a 14 day NE cruise for a total of $700 for both of us. Not a misprint.) 

But the taste is so sour from that last trip ... it will take a lot. Put it this way, I'd rather spend $200 a night on a West Coast/Alaska trip on O and sleep inside than go back to HAL. 

4 minutes ago, 2inSETexas said:

We’ve been to Cayman on another cruise line. I think the tender process there is horrendous regardless of the weather or size of the ship.

Honestly Cayman's tender process highlighted our Captain's skills. The waters were so rough, the tender process so difficult, that other ships in the area weren't able to disembark.

Nieuw Statendam saw delays, but everyone made their connection and got on and off. But yeah, Cayman's never good.

• Like 3

Just spent 50 days on the Rotterdam and managed to avoid the MDR for every night. My experiences on the NS and the Konsingdam confirmed that it is just to much noise. I am for dark wood, drapes and brass.

Never felt crowded on any of them but then I avoid the "special time" cruises and / or 7 day cruises.

Vista class is now my first choice.

• Like 1

Holiday and Spring Break Caribbean cruises (in which thousands of North American schools tag-team each other from February to April) are a definite “ne pas toucher” for me.  I enjoy the shoulder seasons in late Spring and early Fall due to less crowding.  The fact that it’s also my preferred weather is a bonus.

Basically, I pay attention to the school schedules in order to avoid the crowds.  That goes for anywhere and whatever mode I travel.  If you sail when schools are in session then the chances of crowding will be minimized.

• Like 4

On 4/4/2023 at 9:22 AM, AlexCherie said:

Agreed. We were on the same sailing 3/25-4/1.This was our 7th HA cruise and will be our last . I read the negative reviews and just didn’t  want to believe that things could change in such a dramatic manner. Sad , Time to find a new cruise line . 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 11:32 AM, *Miss G* said:

Holiday and Spring Break Caribbean cruises (in which thousands of North American schools tag-team each other from February to April) are a definite “ne pas toucher” for me.  I enjoy the shoulder seasons in late Spring and early Fall due to less crowding.  The fact that it’s also my preferred weather is a bonus.

Basically, I pay attention to the school schedules in order to avoid the crowds.  That goes for anywhere and whatever mode I travel.  If you sail when schools are in session then the chances of crowding will be minimized.

Excellent point.  It's pretty understandable to expect packed ships during Spring Break time, as well as over Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. holiday periods.  Summer cruises to Alaska can be expected to be very busy with families too.

The understaffing doesn't help the situation on crowded ships either.  It's doubtful HAL is intentionally understaffing ships, it's probably a combination of hiring challenges, documentation delays, and staff quarantines (if they are still doing that), both when starting on a ship plus if sick during voyages.

• Like 3

On 4/6/2023 at 3:52 PM, Maisyboo said:

Agreed. We were on the same sailing 3/25-4/1.This was our 7th HA cruise and will be our last . I read the negative reviews and just didn’t  want to believe that things could change in such a dramatic manner. Sad , Time to find a new cruise line . 

It's expensive, but I'd fully recommend an Oceania cruise. I'm going back.

Time is so precious right? I think at best I have a dozen great vacations left where I can really get around and enjoy myself. Maybe I've got 20 trips.

When you look at it that way, that sailing becomes even more infuriating. Cheers, mate.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 2:52 PM, Maisyboo said:

Perhaps those who had a bad experience with the ship crowdings over the holidays and Spring Break might want to try HAL again during a slower time of the year.  If the experience changes (other than those related to crowding) are what some don't like about HAL now, that's understandable but don't let overcrowding set your "all the time" perceptions.  As a comparison, those who have gone to a Disney park on a busy holiday, Spring Break or summer day might say never again because of the shoulder to shoulder crowds.  That is unless you have been there on a non-crowded day where the experience is vastly different due to the smaller crowds.

That said, posts on this forum seem to indicate the Koningsdam is very crowded nearly every weekly sailing out of San Diego fall through spring.  So going on that ship during a non-holiday period might not give the best experience either.  It sounds like HAL needs to base more ships out of Southern California during the winter to give the K a little overbooking relief.

Edited by AFNavigator
grammar
  • Thanks 1

All your reviews are very interesting. We did an 11 days Caribbean in Nov. on Rotterdam and we did not enjoy our experience of the Pinnacle class. We have always enjoyed the HAL experience because we always felt that, although extras were available, we did not have to fork extra cash to enjoy our cruise (ie specialty dining, cabanas, Club Orange, SPA, etc…)  Our Rotterdam experience has left us feeling that, like with many  other mainstream  cruise lines, you had a bare minimum cruise unless you paid extra for food and services… that was a bit disappointing to us… We prefer the smaller ships that still offer a better overall feel of space, and attentive service, and of course the wonderful promenade deck with its teak steamer style lounge chairs all around…

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AlexCherie said:

It's expensive, but I'd fully recommend an Oceania cruise. I'm going back.

Time is so precious right? I think at best I have a dozen great vacations left where I can really get around and enjoy myself. Maybe I've got 20 trips.

When you look at it that way, that sailing becomes even more infuriating. Cheers, mate.

We're looking at Oceania more now that they have a ship homeported in Seattle for the Alaska season.  We're so over these large ships, I know it's all about the bottom line so I doubt they are going away anytime soon.  

As to the Pinnacles, we found them to be the perfect size, but we also miss the Amsterdam, Ryndam, etc.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

Perhaps those who had a bad experience with the ship crowdings over the holidays and Spring Break might want to try HAL again during a slower time of the year.  If the experience changes (other than those related to crowding) are what some don't like about HAL now, that's understandable but don't let overcrowding set your "all the time" perceptions.  As a comparison, those who have gone to a Disney park on a busy holiday, Spring Break or summer day might say never again because of the shoulder to shoulder crowds.  That is unless you have been there on a non-crowded day where the experience is vastly different due to the smaller crowds.

That said, posts on this forum seem to indicate the Koningsdam is very crowded nearly every weekly sailing out of San Diego fall through spring.  So going on that ship during a non-holiday period might not give the best experience either.  It sounds like HAL needs to base more ships out of Southern California during the winter to give the K a little overbooking relief.

Agree. My parents very first cruise experience was a super crowded school March Break Carnival (!) cruise that was absolutely overloaded w kids. They were running amuck everywhere according to my mom and the ship felt really crowded and loud. I think it really soured them going forward from ever cruising again as that was their impression of what cruising was/is. Unfortunate. Personally we still have offspring (14 yo) travelling w us who is subject to school breaks so we are somewhat limited to going at more busy times. The two Pinnacle ships we are trying in future are Nieuw Statendam (Baltics/10 day this summer) and Rotterdam (Carribean 9 day) w the latter being during March break. We will thus be experiencing larger ships at HAL. The largest cruise ship we have been on to date has been w Celebrity and we didnt notice the "largeness" too much save for getting on and off it just seemed generally more of a hassle. 

I have really appreciated reading all the feedback and opinions on this topic. thank you!

Edited by croozen