VOOM v. Cellular Package

I know someone on here can help me with this one. We've always purchased Voom + ATT cruise package because we thought we needed to 😑  Is it true that you only have to purchase Voom and turn your phone onto Cellular Wifi (and airplane mode) and you will be able to send/receive texts/calls, etc? I understand the only place this wouldn't work is while on land, correct? Thanks for your help!

If you bought VOOM (Wifi package) you need to put your phone into Airplane mode (you need to do this even if you did not buy a package to avoid cellular charges) and connect to WiFi with a special login.

Yes, you can do all you listed.

I do not have ATT, but T-mobile. We use VOOM onboard and free data (text, 35 cents calls) from T-Mobile on land.

Edited by Tatka
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BAMAMOMOF3 said:

when and where will you get the " Special login" after boarding? DO i have to go to guest services?

You will need to create your profile using your name and room # after boarding using logn.com. Then you will select your login and password.

Edited by Tatka

25 minutes ago, GetToLivin said:

I know someone on here can help me with this one. We've always purchased Voom + ATT cruise package because we thought we needed to 😑  Is it true that you only have to purchase Voom and turn your phone onto Cellular Wifi (and airplane mode) and you will be able to send/receive texts/calls, etc? I understand the only place this wouldn't work is while on land, correct? Thanks for your help!

Yes. You need to set up your phone for WiFi calling. Then, with VOOM, you can make/receive calls. You setup and test your WiFi calling before you get on the ship. Then you just leave your phone in airplane mode with wifi turned on and connected to VOOM. 

Text will work if you are using an internet based text messaging program like iMessage.

On land, AT&T offers either included service (on most plans for Mexico and a lot of Caribbean islands) or their flat rate $10/day international day pass. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. You need to set up your phone for WiFi calling. Then, with VOOM, you can make/receive calls. You setup and test your WiFi calling before you get on the ship. Then you just leave your phone in airplane mode with wifi turned on and connected to VOOM. 

Text will work if you are using an internet based text messaging program like iMessage.

On land, AT&T offers either included service (on most plans for Mexico and a lot of Caribbean islands) or their flat rate $10/day international day pass. 

2 questions for you, please!  I understand Voom is a suite perk.  Does it work fast or slow and sluggish, also do suites have phones to be used to call others in group, (like NCL has in Haven suites), or the concierge?

Just now, sargemrs said:

Does it work fast or slow and sluggish

The Voom package you get is the same Stream tier as everyone else - performance varies with time, date, location and perhaps some other specifics.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BAMAMOMOF3 said:

THANK YOU

I had to save the name of the site to get to the log in page. Sometimes it comes up but sometimes not and I have to type it in. I'm on radiance right now and wifi is not great. 

Onboardicafe.com brings you here.

20230316_084953111.jpeg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sargemrs said:

2 questions for you, please!  I understand Voom is a suite perk.  Does it work fast or slow and sluggish, also do suites have phones to be used to call others in group, (like NCL has in Haven suites), or the concierge?

Voom is a suite perk only on quantum and Oasis class ships.  People always seem to ask when they are not on that class of ship so def check.

3 hours ago, sargemrs said:

Voom is satellite internet. Some ships have been converted to Starlink where it is a little faster,,,, for now. You are still sharing a internet uplink with 3000-6000 of your newest friends. I have not seen any handi-phones like NCL. We never use our on NCL and sail in RCCL Grand Suites,,,, so really don't take any notice of the phones. 

Edited by BirdTravels

19 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Voom is satellite internet. Some ships have been converted to Starlink where it is a little faster,,,, for now. You are still sharing a internet uplink with 3000-6000 of your newest friends. I have not seen any handi-phones like NCL. We never use our on NCL and sail in RCCL Grand Suites,,,, so really don't take any notice of the phones. 

Thanks for reply!!!!

Radiance has not been converted to starlink. WJ so far is the only place wifi worked for me today. Tried deck 11 by the pool, knocked off. Tried diamond lounge up on 13, knocked off. Loyalty guy said try deck 5 but then I was told not now, show going on. 

2nd time since last night wifi worked. Pretty bad imo. 

On 4/3/2023 at 12:43 PM, BirdTravels said:

Not sure if my son watching my dog (an android phone) might be an issue.  In that case, could leave him one of our iPhones.

we always just did buy pkg thru ATT/cellular at sea in the past.  We’re not exactly techies.  Seems like I may be missing something trying to figure this out for our sailing on the Adventure of Seas (starlink)

Please, anyone, feel free to correct my notes below, cribbed from plowing thru threads here:

*we don’t need to purchase a pkg thru ATT any longer to just text on ship.  Can add the $10 one in ports if desired.

*need to buy the Voom internet pkg before sailing, then…

*turn on Wi-Fi calling (is it necessary for those I want to contact on land also do so?)

*when onboard, turn on both airplane mode & WiFi.

*connect to voom account, then can text and call those at home

(i think???)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, keishashadow said:

Not sure if my son watching my dog (an android phone) might be an issue.  In that case, could leave him one of our iPhones.

we always just did buy pkg thru ATT/cellular at sea in the past.  We’re not exactly techies.  Seems like I may be missing something trying to figure this out for our sailing on the Adventure of Seas (starlink)

Please, anyone, feel free to correct my notes below, cribbed from plowing thru threads here:

*we don’t need to purchase a pkg thru ATT any longer to just text on ship.  Can add the $10 one in ports if desired.

*need to buy the Voom internet pkg before sailing, then…

*turn on Wi-Fi calling (is it necessary for those I want to contact on land also do so?)

*when onboard, turn on both airplane mode & WiFi.

*connect to voom account, then can text and call those at home

(i think???)

Yup you got it.  You can try turning on airplane mode and just connecting to your Wi-Fi at home.   If you have Wi-Fi calling enabled, you should be able to make calls and text like normal.

If it doesn't work, look for Wi-Fi calling in your phone settings and make sure it's enabled.  You'll have to set your 911 address if you haven't done so.

On cruise you are doing the same thing using voom.

Edited by Blur
  • Thanks 1