The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday April 4th, 2023

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I've found Eurodam on Nassau, Bahamas' docket for 4-05, but haven't found any mention of Eurodam in Ocho, Rios on 4-07.  I'll keep searching for another destination.

Sandi, I found this but it only lists the ports.

https://www.reggaeville.com/dates/festival-details/love-and-harmony-cruise-2023/details/

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

There are no local newspeople whom I would ever want to hug. The school library was my safe place in high school, and I got to read the Saturday Review and the Atlantic Monthly.

A red shakshuka, the more typical kind, is a lot like huevos rancheros, but when I make it, I cook the eggs separately, because runny yolks make me queasy. I'll skip the cocktail. I see that the New Zealand Wine Festival is continuing, but this one is pretty expensive. You could probably guess that I haven't been to Haugesund.

It was a bit surprising to come upon a shakshuka restaurant in Barcelona.

ShakshukaBarcelona.jpg.5106eddbb03ce47df4c86a4801aa0116.jpg

Today is trash and recycling, Passover cleaning and shopping, and I have to be at the office in the afternoon.

bunnyeggs.thumb.jpg.bb47c537fffc3a6e875d804a4ddd563f.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you Sharon!  I see it listed in Nassau, but the sites I looked at didn't have Eurodam listed for Ocho Rios for some reason.  I totally believe that's where they're headed and will no doubt find out it will be in Jamaica two days later.  Good job finding that!

• Like 13

28 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Meanwhile where I grew up in Vermont the sap is running. It’s Maple Syrup time. Whose making pancakes?

In about 2008 I attended a conference at the University of Vermont. The sheer amount of maple syrup in the dining hall was astonishing. Maple syrup is also made here in New York. I will be having matzah brei instead of pancakes, though.

• Like 20

Good morning,

It is an early morning for me in Tucson. I guess I am still on CST. We are headed to Mount Lemon this morning. It will be a chilly one.  We had a beautiful day yesterday.  My DSIL is loving being here and she is moving around well with her cane,.  This is not the most handicapped friendly resort but the staff is so nice and accommodating.

My DGS wanted SDS to win last night and called me crying near the end of the game. Mind you he is 5 and does not know SDS but took a liking to them during the tournament. I told him I liked UConn so he started cheering for them. My DS thanked me and I reminded him like father like son!

Have a great day everyone and prayers to those on the care list and to others that need it.

• Like 24

4 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Good morning,

It is an early morning for me in Tucson. I guess I am still on CST. We are headed to Mount Lemon this morning. It will be a chilly one.  We had a beautiful day yesterday.  My DSIL is loving being here and she is moving around well with her cane,.  This is not the most handicapped friendly resort but the staff is so nice and accommodating.

My DGS wanted SDS to win last night and called me crying near the end of the game. Mind you he is 5 and does not know SDS but took a liking to them during the tournament. I told him I liked UConn so he started cheering for them. My DS thanked me and I reminded him like father like son!

Have a great day everyone and prayers to those on the care list and to others that need it.

Enjoy Mt Lemmon!  We rent a cabin every year and enjoy it very much although I’m not a fan of the drive. 

• Like 16

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  I slept well, but I'm still tired.  Could be the pollen, or lack of real sleep, but my eyes are red, want to close, and call it a day.  This will not happen!  We are having lunch with our old book club buddy Debbie at Vietvana (she loves Vietnamese food) , and before we go I still need to pay bills, buy stamps, mail the mail, walk the dog...I do get a two day reprieve this week from the dog.  My PETscan is Thursday morning, and apparently Friday (being Good Friday) is a state holiday, and my neighbor is off.  

We telemarketers are not off this weekend, so I will be working.  But I wont be working on Thursday, and then my next day off is on the 14.  Yippee.

I could hug Lester Holt, one of the last decent newscasters.  Tom Brokaw...other than that,  no to hugging a newsperson.  No one really seems to tell the news, the news these days seem to be fluff, and after the first two reports, no one seem to be talking about it.  I know I must be watching the wrong channel.  No real updates on Covid, so there for it must be gone, (talked with 4 people this week that were just diagnosed) , no updates on Ukraine, 10 minutes of the terror of the tornadoes...nope there is very little in depth news.

I liked the quote right now I'm not fearing the results of the test, but the chemicals that they put in my body to take the test.  So, all I have to do is get through Thursday. 

@aliaschief I love your Vermont picture, and guess its time to place my order from Sugarbush. I did just read that while my cats love maple syrup, they are not supposed to eat it.  

hA038941B

I have no idea what the meal is, so i hope that it pops up soon.  Probably already has while I was typing this.

ee1af36b939d18fba8909dd38b9cdba5.jpg

• Like 23
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Awe!  What a great story. 

• Like 13

Good morning, everyone!

It is a little cooler today in mid-Michigan with a slight possibility of rain.  The real rain comes in tomorrow with heavy thunderstorms.  Keeping my eyes on that one.  Nothing is on the agenda today except for my daily walk.  That is so nice!!  

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, great pictures of Ren!   

@smitty34877 keeping my fingers crossed on the aide interview.

Shakshouka is a Maghrebi dish of eggs poached in a sauce of tomatoes, olive oil, peppers, onion and garlic, commonly spiced with cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper. According to Joan Nathan, shakshouka originated in Ottoman North Africa in the mid-16th century after tomatoes were introduced to the region by Hernán Cortés as part of the Columbian exchange.

Many variations of the basic sauce are possible, varying in spice and sweetness. Some cooks add preserved lemon, salty sheep milk cheeses, olives, harissa or a spicy sausage such as chorizo or merguez. Shakshouka is made with eggs, which are commonly poached but can also be scrambled, like in the Turkish menemen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakshouka

shakshuka.jpg.4f68fbb3006854bb2578b3a11aa69add.jpg

That looks pretty good to me!   Green Shakshuka substitutes healthy greens for the tomatoes.  This first recipe uses kale, spinach, and shaved brussels sprouts.  You can use collard greens or swiss chard and add in zucchini if you wish.   https://www.themediterraneandish.com/green-shakshuka-recipe/

greenshakshuka1.thumb.jpg.d4cd23873e00cc58b95ac5d6a1a8244f.jpg

This next one uses a different combination of greens.  I'm sure it is just as good!  https://downshiftology.com/recipes/green-shakshuka/

greenshakshuka2.thumb.jpg.f2c1eaa02114aed5e5b9c35430997bcb.jpg

Here is one more that uses avocado and lemon.   https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/green-shakshuka/

greenshakshuka4.thumb.jpg.e4e13b99291ee34496881305c8e3ecf0.jpg

I'd be happy with either version of this dish.  It sounds like a great Easter morning breakfast in this house!  

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 10

Beautiful day in Maryland!  I’m happy to be getting out walking more, feels good. And making progress with taxes and errands, keeping up with DH’s meds schedule. Tomorrow we go for 2nd eye surgery followup, hoping the pressure is down. 

Got a text this morning from a chaplain friend who got to the hospital for a visit with my EMT friend and her dying husband, retired firefighter. No change. 

Congrats to Ren!  A goal!  What a way to start out on a new team!  

I will check my Hurtigruten book for todays port. 

Time for eyes drops. Will check back m—

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  There aren't any newspeople I'd like to hug, but there's one I'd love to have over for dinner; I think she would be such an interesting guest and conversations would be stimulating.  I tend to walk around things except when I'm in a hurry, often resulting in bruised shins.  You'll see the results in the summer when I'm wearing capri pants.  School librarians are often overlooked, but play such a valuable role in a student's life.  

An interesting quote, a drink I'll pass on (dislike bourbon), and I think I'm going to have to switch to drinking white wine, as the reds are almost always outside my budget.  Thank goodness I have my Cardboardeaux!

Another busy day today - I've got breakfast with my retired colleagues this morning, then off with DH to do some grocery shopping.  When I get home, I'll start putting stuff together for us to take to Calgary on Thursday.  I've got a couple of big blue IKEA bags full of things I've picked up since we were there last - books, games, clothes, etc., and of course, sweet treats as well, especially for Easter.  I know our son has continued the family tradition of an Easter egg hunt around the house, so I'll have a few things to contribute to it as well.

@smitty34877that's great news about DH's cardio appointment; hopefully the good news continues.

@marshhawksending positive vibes to you for your PET scan.

@StLouisCruiserscongratulations to Ren; good for him!

I like today's menu suggestion, but know DH would pass on it because he doesn't care for eggs.  He'll eat them scrambled or in an omelet, but don't even think of serving a poached or runny egg to him.  LOL  I know we have some leftover stew in the freezer that is going to be served tonight along with a salad and some fresh crusty buns at the kitchen table.  And wine.

Prayers for all with needs, especially the people of Ukraine and all who have been in the path of the devastating storms.  Cheers to everyone with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I think I will skip going to the gym for leg exercises.  Maybe I'll try DH's Total Gym for a few leg exercises and go up and down the stairs repeatedly.  I just don't feel like going out into the fog and high humidity this morning.

I woke up to a couple of photos from DS this morning of Ren.  First shows the ball right next to the goalie's left foot and that is Ren shooting it into the net.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIBbrauTG0I_j9uRjg2ejFUVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1680606928

Afterwards, a jubilant FC Dallas U16 team congratulate Ren.  He's in the back being surrounded by his new teammates.  They have been most welcoming to the new recruit.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLf5zg4SC0IoZDhrEx-IkUC4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1680606941

Rain expected later today in Dallas for the second game of the tournament.🏃‍♂️

Well done Ren.

As a keen footballer myself at Rens age I know how happy he will be.

I have just had a steroid injection in my knee and called at McDonald's for a coffee.

Graham.

congratulations.gif

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  We have already been to the grocery so that I can be home for a wine shipment due later this morning.  I got so much accomplished yesterday, small things but it is good they are off my plate.  My taxes are all ready to be picked up by my tax preparer, oil change appointment made and an email to our HA advisor about 2025 January long cruises.    In addition I went downtown to work with the ladies in my garden club to plant the 3 large and 2 small planters at the bank.  First we had to pull out all the winter decor and then planted a Hellebore, chartreuse mini grass and primroses in the large ones.  We also sunk yellow twig dogwood in the middle of each of the planters for height.   It had just started to rain when we started and we were totally soaked and grimy when we were done.  It started to pour just when I got to my truck.    We have severe weather forecast for tonight into tomorrow but then we may get at least 4 days of sunshine through Easter.  

Thanks Sandi and Rich for starting us off each morning.  Sandi thanks for sharing Ren's goal and the celebration.  Never have been to today's port and look forward to the photos.   Today's "walk around something" hit home for me.  I put a bag f the store plastic bags right by the garage door to go to the grocery this morning and I got my jacket out of the closet and walked around those bags on my way out the door.   Today's dish looks tasty though I agree with @kochleffel I would cook the eggs to medium before adding them to the sauce.   I'll pass on the cocktail and today's wine.    Prayers for all on our care list, the tornado victims, Nashville families and the people of Ukraine.   Have a wonderful day.  Nancy 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Well done Ren.

As a keen footballer myself at Rens age I know how happy he will be.

I have just had a steroid injection in my knee and called at McDonald's for a coffee.

Graham.

congratulations.gif

Thanks Graham!  Maybe football is part of the reason your knees are shot!  Yikes!  Hope the injection didn't hurt.  Have a great day!

6 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning!  We have already been to the grocery so that I can be home for a wine shipment due later this morning.  I got so much accomplished yesterday, small things but it is good they are off my plate.  My taxes are all ready to be picked up by my tax preparer, oil change appointment made and an email to our HA advisor about 2025 January long cruises.    In addition I went downtown to work with the ladies in my garden club to plant the 3 large and 2 small planters at the bank.  First we had to pull out all the winter decor and then planted a Hellebore, chartreuse mini grass and primroses in the large ones.  We also sunk yellow twig dogwood in the middle of each of the planters for height.   It had just started to rain when we started and we were totally soaked and grimy when we were done.  It started to pour just when I got to my truck.    We have severe weather forecast for tonight into tomorrow but then we may get at least 4 days of sunshine through Easter.  

Thanks Sandi and Rich for starting us off each morning.  Sandi thanks for sharing Ren's goal and the celebration.  Never have been to today's port and look forward to the photos.   Today's "walk around something" hit home for me.  I put a bag f the store plastic bags right by the garage door to go to the grocery this morning and I got my jacket out of the closet and walked around those bags on my way out the door.   Today's dish looks tasty though I agree with @kochleffel I would cook the eggs to medium before adding them to the sauce.   I'll pass on the cocktail and today's wine.    Prayers for all on our care list, the tornado victims, Nashville families and the people of Ukraine.   Have a wonderful day.  Nancy 

Hi Nancy, I would agree with you and Paul @kochleffel my eggs have to be cooked to eat.  Thanks for your Ren comments.  He's such a sweetheart.❤️

2 minutes ago, MisterMatthew said:

Good morning to all.  Hoping everyone has a splendid day.

Good morning back!  Welcome to the Daily!

• Like 16

@grapau27Thank you for the definition today, I spend myself physically walking around sleeping cats, but to walk around mean to avoid a situation, person, or place that may have a bad effect, makes sense.  

If an egg runs, I run away.  I would "fry broke and dead" egg to the sauce.  That first one @dfish, looks very yummy!

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks Graham!  Maybe football is part of the reason your knees are shot!  Yikes!  Hope the injection didn't hurt.  Have a great day!

Hi Nancy, I would agree with you and Paul @kochleffel my eggs have to be cooked to eat.  Thanks for your Ren comments.  He's such a sweetheart.❤️

Good morning back!  Welcome to the Daily!

Thank you Sandi.

Many years of football and golf contributed but joint problems run in my late mam's family.

Mam had 3 knee replacements (1 done twice)

My brother had a hip replacement.

My mam's sister has a new hip and these are only the one's I know about.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We did not stop in Haugesund, it is south of Bergen where the Hurtigruten ships go out of, north around North Cape and back to Bergen. Here are some photos from Wikipedia. I have trouble attaching them with spaces but you’ll get the idea. 

I get the gist of the quote but not sure I fully accept it. I like bourbon and I like limoncello but I don’t think I’d like them together. I would enjoy any of today’s recipes but wouldn’t make it for us. It sounds like a dish one had to have grandma or mom teach you. And most of it is not DH’s taste, especially poached eggs.  

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope!  Especially prayers for our Care list folks! 

Cheers to all celebrating milestones of Life!  And to Gerry and her Ukrainian family! 🇺🇦 You all lift us!  

Smooth seas to all the cruisers!  Enjoy it all!  And safe travels to everyone who may be venturing afar for the Passover and Easter gatherings. 
Maureen 

Haugesund Norway

A712F8D3-D152-4BC3-9B97-F85C4ECBC84A.jpeg.21bcd51a6d8fe30f3732ba6d979601fd.jpeg38B1BA09-D6BB-466D-BC9C-CE11FD326DF3.jpeg.7c96c81c7e2f2d30ef33e7fac1b92f36.jpegA712F8D3-D152-4BC3-9B97-F85C4ECBC84A.jpeg.21bcd51a6d8fe30f3732ba6d979601fd.jpeg

1846EC75-D404-42E3-BEFB-CB848903E6B8.jpeg

Edited by RMLincoln
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 7

15 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@grapau27Thank you for the definition today, I spend myself physically walking around sleeping cats, but to walk around mean to avoid a situation, person, or place that may have a bad effect, makes sense.  

If an egg runs, I run away.  I would "fry broke and dead" egg to the sauce.  That first one @dfish, looks very yummy!

Thank you @marshhawk

We have done this with Pauline's sister and her husband for years.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

We did not stop in Haugesund, it is south of Bergen where the Hurtigruten ships go out of, north around North Cape and back to Bergen. Here are some photos from Wikipedia. I have trouble attaching them with spaces but you’ll get the idea. 

I get the gist of the quote but not sure I fully accept it. I like bourbon and I like limoncello but I don’t think I’d like them together. I would enjoy any of today’s recipes but wouldn’t make it for us. It sounds like a dish one had to have grandma or mom teach you. And most of it is not DH’s taste, especially poached eggs.  

Blessings to all in need of healing, comfort or hope!  Especially prayers for our Care list folks! 

Cheers to all celebrating milestones of Life!  And to Gerry and her Ukrainian family! 🇺🇦 You all lift us!  

Smooth seas to all the cruisers!  Enjoy it all!  And safe travels to everyone who may be venturing afar for the Passover and Easter gatherings. 
Maureen 

Haugesund Norway

A712F8D3-D152-4BC3-9B97-F85C4ECBC84A.jpeg.21bcd51a6d8fe30f3732ba6d979601fd.jpeg38B1BA09-D6BB-466D-BC9C-CE11FD326DF3.jpeg.7c96c81c7e2f2d30ef33e7fac1b92f36.jpegA712F8D3-D152-4BC3-9B97-F85C4ECBC84A.jpeg.21bcd51a6d8fe30f3732ba6d979601fd.jpeg

1846EC75-D404-42E3-BEFB-CB848903E6B8.jpeg

Nice photos.

• Like 9