Escargot?!

angelsfort

We're going on the Liberty next month on a 4 day...   do you think that I'll be able to get escargot in the MDR any night?  

I plan on asking, regardless!!  (just wondering if anyone else has tried... and what their experience was)

I've also made some little resin snails and I plan to bring those along with me - in an attempt to bribe the serving staff into making it happen!  LOL (I'll still give them to them, even if the answer is no...   I'll just be sad.)

2 hours ago, angelsfort said:

We're going on the Liberty next month on a 4 day...   do you think that I'll be able to get escargot in the MDR any night?  

I plan on asking, regardless!!  (just wondering if anyone else has tried... and what their experience was)

I've also made some little resin snails and I plan to bring those along with me - in an attempt to bribe the serving staff into making it happen!  LOL (I'll still give them to them, even if the answer is no...   I'll just be sad.)

The wait staff can't make it happen and they really don't want trinkets but will accept with enthusiasm to prevent complaints.  There isn't ingredients sitting around just in case someone gets a  hankering.  You will need to ask the Maitre and the Maitre will ask the Chef.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fishmongerrules said:

celebrity solstice last month had them on the list of classic appetizers which was available every night. i dont know if all the ships serve the same appetizers.

Celebrity is different than Carnival — and is also under the Royal Caribbean brand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

The wait staff can't make it happen and they really don't want trinkets but will accept with enthusiasm to prevent complaints.  There isn't ingredients sitting around just in case someone gets a  hankering.  You will need to ask the Maitre and the Maitre will ask the Chef.  

I appreciate your opinion, of course - but I respectfully partially disagree with you.  I'm in multiple cruise groups on another social media platform (FB) and there are quite a few crew members in my groups who are always very supportive of the little "trinkets" and encourage folks to bring them on board - many crew members save them and bring them to their children when they are able to get back home (especially those silly little rubber ducks!  which I will ALSO be bringing on board with me!!  LOL)

as far as the ingredients sitting around just in case someone gets a "hankering" (LOL) - I fear you are correct but I hope you are not!!  (I know that on several of my shorter cruises, they've had escargot available in the specialty restaurants (for a fee) and my hope is that the Liberty has a similar set up)

14 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

I appreciate your opinion, of course - but I respectfully partially disagree with you.  I'm in multiple cruise groups on another social media platform (FB) and there are quite a few crew members in my groups who are always very supportive of the little "trinkets" and encourage folks to bring them on board - many crew members save them and bring them to their children when they are able to get back home (especially those silly little rubber ducks!  which I will ALSO be bringing on board with me!!  LOL)

as far as the ingredients sitting around just in case someone gets a "hankering" (LOL) - I fear you are correct but I hope you are not!!  (I know that on several of my shorter cruises, they've had escargot available in the specialty restaurants (for a fee) and my hope is that the Liberty has a similar set up)

I’ve been on liberty several times last year and I can assure you they do not have escargot in any of their restaurants including the Steakhouse. I’m thinking we may have had them in the steakhouse on our January 2022 8 day southern Caribbean cruise on Magic, but that’s it.

1 hour ago, angelsfort said:

They really aren't but will never publicly post otherwise.  A screenshot would be sent to Carnival of a negative comment.  JH will also never post otherwise, either.  Beside if a crew member was taking home one duck, pretty sure they have it. The cruise groups that do gift exchanges should be responsible for taking the huge amount  of trash left  behind.  

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 3:31 PM, Bostwick girl said:

It’s not served on 3, 4, 5 or 6 night cruises. We had it on our 8 day last January.

The Dream served them 2 weeks ago on the 6 night sailing, my teens tried them. (They each ate 1..lol)

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 4:21 AM, FSHLOT said:

Nothing like sopping up that garlic butter with that awesome bread!!

Oh yeah, the snails are good too!! 😃

"Oh yeah, the snails are good too!"

I'm thinking the snails are just an excuse for all that gallic and butter!  😀

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 1:42 PM, ray98 said:

If it is not on the menu it will not be available on the ship.  No point in asking.

That is simply not true.  As long as they have the ingredients on board (which they will if it’s on the menu any night of the cruise), they CAN make them another night.  It’s simply a matter of whether they are willing to.  On several occasions, I have raved about a dish one night, only to have it appear on a subsequent night(s), despite the fact that it wasn’t on the menu.  And I didn’t even ask!

With advance notice given through the maitre d’ (perhaps along with a tip), I’d say the OP has a decent shot at getting escargot every night.

2 hours ago, Drew B 58 said:

That is simply not true.  As long as they have the ingredients on board (which they will if it’s on the menu any night of the cruise), they CAN make them another night.  It’s simply a matter of whether they are willing to.  On several occasions, I have raved about a dish one night, only to have it appear on a subsequent night(s), despite the fact that it wasn’t on the menu.  And I didn’t even ask!

With advance notice given through the maitre d’ (perhaps along with a tip), I’d say the OP has a decent shot at getting escargot every night.

No, they don't.  They also don't make dishes "appear".

55 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

No, they don't.  They also don't make dishes "appear".

No, they don’t WHAT?

The dishes obviously appeared on subsequent nights because my waiter made the decision to ask the chef to make them on a night they were not on the menu.  Again, I did not ask them to do this, but they simply went above and beyond to give me something I had said I liked.  

Whether or not it will happen for someone else is a toss-up.  They are obviously not required to serve off-menu items, but they can choose to do so if they want to.  And asking in advance is key.  If you try to order something off-menu for the current meal, they most likely won’t be able to accommodate you.  However, if you ask for the NEXT night, they can do it if they want to…

10 hours ago, Drew B 58 said:

Maybe you should read the entire topic to put things in context.  Escargot is not available on a 4 night cruise on any night.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ray98 said:

Maybe you should read the entire topic to put things in context.  Escargot is not available on a 4 night cruise on any night.

Ah!  I apologize.  I miss where the OP mentioned the duration of her cruise.