Are formal nights returning?

19 hours ago, jencruzin said:

Regarding formal nights, we don't go "all out" DH wears a sports jacket and I'm in a summer dress. But this'll be our first cruise out of Southampton, I'm wondering if the UK folk take formal nights more seriously than we do in American ports?

A fair few, but not everyone, wears formal ex Southampton on Formal nights, also a sprinkling of Kilts

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 1:48 PM, Dolby1000 said:

On the Mariner last November, we had Dress Your Best nights as opposed to Formal Nights.

We are on the Serenade on 4/30 and the first 2 days of the Daily Compass are available. At 5PM on Day 2, which is a sea day, it says Tonight's Attire: Formal.

Are others seeing Formal instead of Dress Your Best?

Both, even on the same cruise.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2023 at 7:19 PM, Billy Baltic said:

That sounds like a regular shirt to me 🤷‍♂️

It's a term used in America, so maybe not in Ireland. Similarly with pants and trousers being  interchangeable words in American English. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

It's a term used in America, so maybe not in Ireland. Similarly with pants and trousers being  interchangeable words in American English. 

Two people separated by a common language.  

‎Love Emoji - Extra Emojis Keyboard on the App Store in 2020 | English ...

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2023 at 4:41 PM, nelblu said:

I've got a family cruise booked for August on Oasis and trying to convince the male members to bring a blazer for one of the nights for a nice family picture.  I think I'm wasting my breath.  Best I can hope for is long pants with a nice polo and no sandals or flip flops.😜

I went on Oasis last August (2022) and was really surprised at the number of people who were quite dressed up on formal night. Reading these boards I was expecting mostly tee shirts and shorts, and instead there were hundreds (out of 6500 pax on board) wearing what I would consider real formal wear - dark suits or tuxes, sparkly cocktail dresses, even floor length gowns. And hundreds more who were giving it the old college try with blazers and "Sunday best" type dresses. I wore a dress that I would normally wear to a daytime wedding, and wished I'd brought something dressier and more fun. So don't worry that your family would be the only ones dressed up.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 1:02 AM, Cruise5life said:

Yeah and I bet they hated every minute they were in those penguin suits.   
im sure you made them wear them lol.  

Not the person you're responding to, but in my family, it's the men who are the fashionistas (or would that be fashionistos?). They're both excited to get new formalwear for our Harmony cruise this summer. 

IMG_1701.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

That is good to hear that more people are dressing up on formal nights.  That was always the highlight of our cruises.  I loved seeing my husband dressed in his tux and me in my long dresses as we do not get to dress like that at home.  I still take my long dresses and wear them as I do not care what others are wearing.  I wonder if some of the passenger are embarrassed on formal night when all the table is dressed to the nines and there they are in the gym shorts and t shirts.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, shippmates said:

That is good to hear that more people are dressing up on formal nights.  That was always the highlight of our cruises.  I loved seeing my husband dressed in his tux and me in my long dresses as we do not get to dress like that at home.  I still take my long dresses and wear them as I do not care what others are wearing.  I wonder if some of the passenger are embarrassed on formal night when all the table is dressed to the nines and there they are in the gym shorts and t shirts.

If they chose to wear shorts and a t-shirt on "formal" night knowing it was 'formal' night, they would not likely be embarrassed one iota. They would probably be wondering why are all our tablemates dressed to the nines at a floating Applebee's? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, shippmates said:

I wonder if some of the passenger are embarrassed on formal night when all the table is dressed to the nines and there they are in the gym shorts and t shirts.

Highly unlikely, at least from our perspective.  We have enough to worry about for ourselves and choose not to focus on what others' are wearing/saying/eating/doing.  Would assume most people are similar to us...if they're not, could care less anyway.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 11:20 AM, sgmn said:

A fair few, but not everyone, wears formal ex Southampton on Formal nights, also a sprinkling of Kilts

Yes lots of Kilts and national dress and its nice to see.

We were on Anthem last May on one of the first proper cruises back after the shutdown and it was very formal. I would say it was 90% formal both nights but I think that had a lot to do with no cruising for such a long time.

On 4/22/2023 at 8:12 AM, shippmates said:

I wonder if some of the passenger are embarrassed on formal night when all the table is dressed to the nines and there they are in the gym shorts and t shirts.

I would not notice what others are wearing!  Why?  Because I don't give two *>!~^s what others wear unless it is a safety, legal, or policy violation.  But, even with that, if it was just a "Dress Code" violation in a dining venue, I'd still go about my business and enjoy my meal.   

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2023 at 9:12 AM, shippmates said:

Nope, not embarrassed at all.  I promise to chew with my mouth closed & use my napkin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, poocher said:

I promise to chew with my mouth closed & use my napkin.

Pinky finger out, of course.  Especially when drinking Boones Farm or MD2020 in a paper water cooler-type cup with your name on the side by using a Sharpie.  Now that's class.  I think I'm gonna wear my cut-off Bib Overalls w/wife beater plaid shirt, Combat Boots, and a hillbilly straw hat to Chops on my next cruise.  Now that is real class.  Say "HEY" when ya see me.  I'll be hard to find because I'm sure I'll fit right in.  But, to add even more class, I won't have any ole toothpick sticking out of my mouth, I'll have a "Floss Pick" with the Floss end sticking out of my mouth with just a little mung and blood on it.  

Man, my wife is one lucky lady, ain't she!

Edited by Ret MP
  • Haha 1