Questions about MSC

jagsfan

We have never sailed on an MSC ship, but are thinking maybe in February. 
I know nothing about them except that they added cruising to their repertoire a few years ago. 
The ships look gorgeous. 
A friend said there are 2 or 3 Broadway shoes on every sailing.

I’ve seen Hairspray, Cats, and Mamma Mia on Royal, but each ship only does one. 
Does  MSC actually do 2 or 3? Which shows do they do?

I was also told they honor other cruise line loyalty programs. Sounds expensive. Is that true? It could clinch it for us, for sure. 
How’s the food? Royal has made changes to the MDR I’m not happy with. 
I’ve sailed on just about every line, and food is one of my reasons for sailing. 
Any great things I haven’t heard about?

Any info you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. 

23 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

We have never sailed on an MSC ship, but are thinking maybe in February. 
I know nothing about them except that they added cruising to their repertoire a few years ago. 
The ships look gorgeous. 
A friend said there are 2 or 3 Broadway shoes on every sailing.

I’ve seen Hairspray, Cats, and Mamma Mia on Royal, but each ship only does one. 
Does  MSC actually do 2 or 3? Which shows do they do?

I was also told they honor other cruise line loyalty programs. Sounds expensive. Is that true? It could clinch it for us, for sure. 
How’s the food? Royal has made changes to the MDR I’m not happy with. 
I’ve sailed on just about every line, and food is one of my reasons for sailing. 
Any great things I haven’t heard about?

Any info you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated. 

They don’t actually do broadway plays but they are somewhat broadway ish in loose terms. 

They actually formed their cruise line in 1988 I believe so have been around for many years.
The ships look gorgeous. They are 
A friend said there are 2 or 3 Broadway shoes on every sailing. They are not actual broadway shows but they have shows in the Main Theater several nights on a cruise.

I was also told they honor other cruise line loyalty programs. Sounds expensive. Is that true? It could clinch it for us, for sure.  Yes, they match Loyalty points to other cruise lines or to hotels. There is a sticky thread on the main board about it
How’s the food? Royal has made changes to the MDR I’m not happy with. We love their food. Here is a link to the new menus in the MDR. https://profcruise.com/msc-dinner-menus/  YC menus have a sticky on the main board. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

They actually formed their cruise line in 1988 I believe so have been around for many years.
The ships look gorgeous. They are 
A friend said there are 2 or 3 Broadway shoes on every sailing. They are not actual broadway shows but they have shows in the Main Theater several nights on a cruise.

I was also told they honor other cruise line loyalty programs. Sounds expensive. Is that true? It could clinch it for us, for sure.  Yes, they match Loyalty points to other cruise lines or to hotels. There is a sticky thread on the main board about it
How’s the food? Royal has made changes to the MDR I’m not happy with. We love their food. Here is a link to the new menus in the MDR. https://profcruise.com/msc-dinner-menus/  YC menus have a sticky on the main board. 

Thank you all so much!

I really appreciate your answers!

Edited by jagsfan

The shows are, IMO, less Broadway and more Cirque du Soleil.  Less singing (but lots of music), more movement/dance/gymnastics.  We enjoyed them.  

MSC has four "experiences" from which to choose when you book.  The one you choose will determine your cabin type, dining room dinner times, amenities, etc.  Bella and Fantastica have assigned dining times; Aurea is anytime dining.  Yacht Club has its own cabins, dining, pool, amenities, etc.  It's worth reading up on these before booking.

Service is good but more formal, less gushy-friendly.  Some cruisers interpret that as rude or cold; it is just more European.  Likewise, many passengers are usually European, South American, and British. Announcements are made in multiple languages, but they are brief, and are only about docking times, etc.; no long messages re art auctions, jewelry sales, bingo, and such.

The loyalty program, status match, is free to join.  You will be asked to provide proof of your level with another cruise line, hotel, etc.

• Like 1

Ocean Cay is a paradise.  Just beautiful aqua water, sand, palm trees; no thrill rides, no blaring music.  Just nature, with enough amenities for comfort and ease. Paved walkways, and trams for those who want them.  Food trucks all over, with a few choices, plus a mid-day buffet. No tendering required.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

um OK I know but I wanted folks opinions on cc too.

My apologies. I didn't mean it like that. While I haven't been there myself yet, (June) I have watched many youtube videos about it . Seems like most people on the their videos love it.

Book Yacht Club. Otherwise it's like a Carnival Cruise (crowded, loud, "fun" 😉) and you can "retreat" to the separate club areas (pool, lounge, buffet, restaurant, private area and restaurant on Ocean Cay) when you need to. Lots of entertainment and music venues although most of them are recorded accompaniment. 

• Like 1

I'm also a RC guy but once I saw the price of the newer MSC ship from Miami, WITH drinks and Wifi included... I couldn't say no, so we booked for next year. It cost us less for an ocean view balcony for 3 of us, with drink packages and wifi included then our boardwalk balcony with no packages added at RC. We love Royal and coco cay, and have one planned this year, but excited to check out MSC and the videos and pictures of Ocean cay look amazing! 

2 hours ago, REOVA said:

Book Yacht Club. Otherwise it's like a Carnival Cruise (crowded, loud, "fun" 😉) and you can "retreat" to the separate club areas (pool, lounge, buffet, restaurant, private area and restaurant on Ocean Cay) when you need to. Lots of entertainment and music venues although most of them are recorded accompaniment. 

I beg to differ. Have you ever sailed in a class other than YC? We always sail Fantastica and are very happy with it. The price we pay for Fantastica enables us to sail 3 to 4 weeks on a cruise instead of one week in YC.  MSC is nothing like Carnival. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I have read all the of the above and perhaps I might be one step closer to actually booking an MSC for next year.   

How is MSC Ocean Cay?

Ocean Cay is beautiful and our favorite private island. We have been to the island 7 times and enjoy it each time we go. Last time we decided to just walk the entire island and explore. The water is pristine. It is a quiet island a marine reserve.  No loud music or water trampolines. 

• Like 1

Guest Cable3232
6 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I beg to differ. Have you ever sailed in a class other than YC? We always sail Fantastica and are very happy with it. The price we pay for Fantastica enables us to sail 3 to 4 weeks on a cruise instead of one week in YC.  MSC is nothing like Carnival. 

Wait a second, an american cruiser that doesn't do YC??? 😋

I thought that was the only grade available in the US for MSC. 

3 hours ago, REOVA said:

Book Yacht Club. Otherwise it's like a Carnival Cruise. 

Having sailed all the major cruise lines including Carnival and Royal, I think that MSC is closer to Royal than to Carnival. Their newer ships have that “wow” factor that Royal’s newer ships have. Ambiance is quite different than the American cruise lines since they cater to a more international clientele though, and some Carnival loyalists hate MSC because it’s not quite as “fun”. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cable3232 said:

Wait a second, an american cruiser that doesn't do YC??? 😋

I thought that was the only grade available in the US for MSC. 

LOL...we are booked for Fantastica, also. Am i gonna be stuck with a bunch of Europeans? I may have to upgrade! 😂

We did Status match from our RCI level in 2017  and went straight in at Black , now Diamond , with MSC . It was great having some perks on that first cruise but   it didn't matter anyway as we loved the experience so much have been on 8 ships with 95 nights at sea with MSC to date.  

All our experiences have been out of the UK or Barcelona where the clientele were mainly Europeans , I would say the only time we ever said " I am glad this isn't our first  MSC cruise"  was on a UK seacation after Covid start up with all Brits onboard   on an included drinks package !! 

We recently did our first YC sailing in an inside cabin out of Barcelona ,  it was great having the private to YC pool deck, pool deck grill , lounge bar etc etc but having done it we will go back to booking Bella or Fantastica cabins . We didn't feel the food in the restaurant was much different to the MDR and our waiters in the MDR have always been excellent as have all the staff around the ships. We have never had service issues except on that mentioned seacation .

The shows in the main theatre are short but full on production shows with fabulous costumes and a different show every night . They are catering to all languages so mainly visual with the songs all sung in English . 

There is live music in every bar , something to suit all tastes . 

You can get coffee at every bar , it is an Italian company ! 

Their prices are great . 

MSC are a family owned company and  have met crew onboard who have been with them for years .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, REOVA said:

I have to disagree.  We book Bella, and never felt like we were on a Carnival cruise. (However, we have not been aboard during a Drinks Included cruise.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, REOVA said:

Book Yacht Club

The advantages of Diamond are not that great. We would rather be first timers, silver? in the YC than Diamond outside the YC in any category. However you all may still be too young to be spoiled so early in life. Take it slow and easy. Work your ways up to the best life has to offer. Too much of the best in life at an early age can damage your pysche later on. Do not recommend doing the Yacht Club too early in ones life, especially grandparents bringing their grandchildren. Unless these grandparents set aside a nice inheritance for them.

So, don't do it ! Ones life will spiral down into a world of hedonism from which there is no return.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am onboard the Meraviglia right now on my first MSC cruise. I was status matched to Gold with my NCL Platinum status. I don't really think the loyalty program on MSC is all that great. No laundry at any level and only one specialty dining once you are at the very top. But can't really complain, since we were matched for free.

I don't know what anyone is talking about when they say non-YC is like a Carnival cruise? To be fair, I have never sailed Carnival. But so far, fellow guests have been great in the public areas. Crew have been friendly. Service has been fast and excellent. I do think we are benefiting somewhat from a lower occupancy on this sailing. It's an 11 day repositioning cruise, so maybe didn't attract the same crowds as a 3 or 4 day our of Florida might.

There are definitely a lot of non-native English speakers onboard, but that has not been an issue at all for us.

2 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I am onboard the Meraviglia right now on my first MSC cruise. I was status matched to Gold with my NCL Platinum status. I don't really think the loyalty program on MSC is all that great. No laundry at any level and only one specialty dining once you are at the very top. But can't really complain, since we were matched for free.

I don't know what anyone is talking about when they say non-YC is like a Carnival cruise? To be fair, I have never sailed Carnival. But so far, fellow guests have been great in the public areas. Crew have been friendly. Service has been fast and excellent. I do think we are benefiting somewhat from a lower occupancy on this sailing. It's an 11 day repositioning cruise, so maybe didn't attract the same crowds as a 3 or 4 day our of Florida might.

There are definitely a lot of non-native English speakers onboard, but that has not been an issue at all for us.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. 

I think the short 3 and 4 day cruises might be like Carnival cruises because MSC decided not to sell drink packages on those cruises.

I should say they are trying to keep them from becoming like Carnival cruises.

I haven't been on MSC since 10/2019.  As far as the food, and I'm not a picky eater at all, if it's that important to you, their food wasn't "something to sail for".  I lived on pizza for a week...now that was good pizza.

The shows were excellent.

International crowd...which I liked.  Not "Carnval people" for sure.

Going again in 2 weeks...but YC this time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

My apologies. I didn't mean it like that. While I haven't been there myself yet, (June) I have watched many youtube videos about it . Seems like most people on the their videos love it.

no worries I just thought folks might have specifics.  I have been to Coco Cay, Castaway Cay, and Half Moon Cay.   I have heard some good things about MSC island too.