ReNewbie - Questions about Crown Princess & San Francisco Port

oregonn8v

Hello,

It has been many years since I last cruised and apparently so long since I have posted on Cruise Critic that only my recent posts are showing. I consider myself a ReNewbie because much has changed since I last cruised but I am recently single and looking to try a vacation alone.

I am currently booked on the 10-day, Mexican Riviera cruise out of San Francisco in January of 2024 on the Crown Princess. Based upon that, here are some of my questions...

1. I have booked an interior cabin as a single. Currently in C106 on the Caribe deck. It looked a bit larger than other interiors on the floor plan but that could be deceptive. Anyone know anything about these cabins?
  2. Has anyone sailed out of San Francisco? Is the port easy to navigate? Should I get a cruise shuttle from airport or hire my own taxi?
  3. It appears as thought Princess puts you into boarding groups. Do you know how early you can arrive to board the ship? If you arrive prior to your boarding group what happens? I may be on a flight that gets me to SF 5-6 hours before the ship departs.

Any other insights would be great. I think this will be the largest ship I have sailed so that will also be a new adventure for me. Thank you in advance.

Eric

The cruise terminal is really easy to get to. It is straight down the Embarcadero.

See https://sfport.com/maritime/cruise

Typically the scheduled departure time is 4:00 PM so if you are arriving at  the airport at 10 AM it will take about 1 hour to get to the cruise terminal including time to depart the aircraft, etc.

Depending on how fast the ship has been cleared boarding should start around about 11 AM.  If you arrive prior to your boarding group time typically you will be allowed to board. At least that has been my experience.

If you get on the ship during lunch time one of the Main Dining Rooms on deck 6 should be open for lunch.

Edited by brisalta
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, oregonn8v said:

1. I have booked an interior cabin as a single. Currently in C106 on the Caribe deck. It looked a bit larger than other interiors on the floor plan but that could be deceptive. Anyone know anything about these cabins?

I believe that cabin is comparable to the inside cabin that we had on the Royal Princess.  Because of how it is configured, it offers a few extra square feet of space because the door opens into the middle of the cabin as opposed to opening to the "end" of the cabin, if that makes sense.  We had no issues with the cabin.  It was quite comfortable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oregonn8v said:

I have booked an interior cabin as a single. Currently in C106 on the Caribe deck. It looked a bit larger than other interiors on the floor plan but that could be deceptive. Anyone know anything about these cabins?

I once booked that same cabin on Ruby Princess which is a sister ship to Crown. It's a sideways layout which we liked. There was only one tiny little issue with the cabin. One morning when we pulled into port we were awakened early by a Freight Train roaring through the cabin! It was really loud. When we figured out it was the sound of the anchor chain running out we laughed and went back to sleep. It really wasn't a problem but be aware you may experience that if your cruise has a port where you tender rather than mooring to a dock.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

I usually suggest taxi or Uber for Transport as they are generally cheaper and more convenient than the ships shuttle for two people. For a single that may not be the “best “ option. You do not mention your level of mobility, but another option is to take BART from the airport.  It originates from the international terminal. You get off at the Embarcadero station and have a Flat mile walk along the bay front to Pier 27.  We come from the opposite direction but have used BART to cruise as well as to the airport on many occasions 

I’m currently on the Crown. I second the use of BART from SFO to the Embarcadero. No one ever checked our boarding time when we embarked, so no matter what group you’re in, you can board as soon as the ship opens up. I don’t know if this will change on the Crown before your cruise, but as of now, this is the only ship I’ve been on that doesn’t open a main dining room for lunch. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, travellingnana said:

I’m currently on the Crown. I second the use of BART from SFO to the Embarcadero. No one ever checked our boarding time when we embarked, so no matter what group you’re in, you can board as soon as the ship opens up. I don’t know if this will change on the Crown before your cruise, but as of now, this is the only ship I’ve been on that doesn’t open a main dining room for lunch. 

the Crown had been opening a dining room for lunch on embarkation day (DaVinci) recently, but not putting it in the Patter (which is now called something else)...it was open last month on several cruises so you could check there without looking at the schedule

• Like 1

About BART, if the walk is too long, you can hop on the old streetcar (not cable car) line right there on Market street by the Embarcadero BART station.  I think it is the E-line.  It will drop you right by the cruise terminals.  Have correct change. The streetcars do have a step or two I think so you will have to muscle your luggage.   Or from the Embarcadero BART stn, if you walk towards the Ferry bldg for a block or two you will pass the Hyatt Regency where there should be a taxi rank.  

Personally I would check out the Princess Transfer just for convenience.  Uber is an option already mentioned.  Taxi would likely be most expensive.    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

About BART, if the walk is too long, you can hop on the old streetcar (not cable car) line right there on Market street by the Embarcadero BART station.  I think it is the E-line.  It will drop you right by the cruise terminals.  Have correct change. The streetcars do have a step or two I think so you will have to muscle your luggage.   Or from the Embarcadero BART stn, if you walk towards the Ferry bldg for a block or two you will pass the Hyatt Regency where there should be a taxi rank.  

Personally I would check out the Princess Transfer just for convenience.  Uber is an option already mentioned.  Taxi would likely be most expensive.    

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Ride-MUNI-and-BART/

• Like 2

17 hours ago, wheezedr said:

I usually suggest taxi or Uber for Transport as they are generally cheaper and more convenient than the ships shuttle for two people. For a single that may not be the “best “ option. You do not mention your level of mobility, but another option is to take BART from the airport.  It originates from the international terminal. You get off at the Embarcadero station and have a Flat mile walk along the bay front to Pier 27.  We come from the opposite direction but have used BART to cruise as well as to the airport on many occasions 

Great suggestion. I am very mobile so BART may be a great option. Thanks!

3 hours ago, oregonn8v said:

Great suggestion. I am very mobile so BART may be a great option. Thanks!

Seeing that you are fully mobile, definitely consider BART.  You will have to transfer once at the Daly City Station, I think that’s where it is, and then roll into the Embarcadero station.  Once there, you can either just catch the muni bus there.  You will want the one that goes down the Embarcadero.  A agent will be there to help you.  Or, take the exit to the Embarcadero and walk the opposite direction from the Bay Bridge along the water front.  It’s only a mile walk.  

They never have checked our boarding times.  People start lining up around 9:45 but let in to the terminal around 10:00 AM.  There is no priority line for security but once past that, you will be directed to the appropriate check in line.  Around 11:00 - 11:30 PM is when you be allowed to board if the previous disembarkation went smoothly.  
this is all if you board at Pier 27.  Occasionally, there is a larger ship than the Crown in Port and they use pier 27, in which case, you will board at pier 35 .. just a bit further down the Embarcadero.  I hate to say it, but boarding at Pier 35 is horrible.  I choose all my cruises out of SF based on which pier they use.  

• Thanks 1

On 4/13/2023 at 4:56 PM, travellingnana said:

The DaVinci has been open for lunch everyday. Boarded on the 14th

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 1:37 PM, Cruise Raider said:

Seeing that you are fully mobile, definitely consider BART.  You will have to transfer once at the Daly City Station, I think that’s where it is, and then roll into the Embarcadero station.  Once there, you can either just catch the muni bus there.  You will want the one that goes down the Embarcadero.  A agent will be there to help you.  Or, take the exit to the Embarcadero and walk the opposite direction from the Bay Bridge along the water front.  It’s only a mile walk.  

From SFO, all BART trains go into to the city and through the Embarcadero station. Once you get through baggage claim, follow signs for the air train which loops through all the terminals and to car rental, including a stop at BART. So easy, as has been mentioned.

• Like 1