Formal Nights???

Last RCI cruise was in 2017. Joining our Daughter & Family for June 30 sailing on the Oasis. Does RCI still have formal nights or have they adopted the same "elegant chique" as Celebrity??? 

Edited by Loracpin2

Royal still designates 2 nights on a 7 day cruise for dressing up if you choose. Photographers are available in the dining rooms and throughout the public areas for pictures.

Some people still go all out with dressy attire, but it is optional. I usually wear a dressy pair of pants and a nice embellished or sparkly top, but you are fine in smart casual as well. They prefer no shorts in the MDR, but I am not sure that is monitored. I did see a man in tank top and flip flops turned away.

Always lots of discussion, but you have wide leeway for your attire. Enjoy your cruise; if you like dressing to the nines or prefer a less formal look, you are good.

Barb

• Like 3

Formal attire requirements are relaxed now. You can read a couple of threads on the subject in the first few pages of this site to get a feel for it .

Enjoy your cruise !

1 hour ago, Loracpin2 said:

Last RCI cruise was in 2017. Joining our Daughter & Family for June 30 sailing on the Oasis. Does RCI still have formal nights or have they adopted the same "elegant chique" as Celebrity??? 

For us, "elegant chique" is shorts and a polo shirt. And it is acceptable to wear that in the MDR for any meal on any day (including "formal nights"). Royal still hangs on to the old terms from the dark ages. But that is not their target demographic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Boy, guess ya didn’t stress out too much breezing thru the existing 12 threads on this topic. 

Right?  reading through a few pages is not worth one's time these days..  but yet, here I still am.  bangs head against the wall. If I had a dollar.... I would buy you all a drink for all these posts, but I still try to help, dunno why.

• Like 1

Anyone can wear their best Tux or evening gown to go get an Ice Milk Cone poolside at 10:00 AM if they want.  Just do your thing and enjoy.  Watch out for those tablecloths though.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never wore a tux.The last time I wore a suit was in 2015.

I retired from the U.S. Army in 1994, that was the last time I got dressed up very formally, EXCEPT at my oldest daughter's wedding in Pigeon Forge, TN.  

12 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Same with me. For formal nights now I wear a sport coat with a nice collared button down shirt and dark pants.

I used to bring the sport coat too , now i leave it at home . 

I seem to blend right in with the shirt and pant look.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I retired from the U.S. Army in 1994, that was the last time I got dressed up very formally, EXCEPT at my oldest daughter's wedding in Pigeon Forge, TN.  

The last time I wore a tux (rented) was my oldest daughters wedding in 1997.When I was working I wore a suit or sport jacket every day.I retired in 1999 but due to boredom I worked in a totally different industry for 5 years.For that job casual attire was the norm.

• Like 2

Retired UPS.  
I never wear pants.

Don’t own a suit.  Lol      

I’m on vacation not going to a funeral or a wedding.

Even those I wouldn’t wear a suit.  
not once have I ever had an issue.  
Never eat in specialty Resturant.    

• Like 4