Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

Has anyone who was cancelled received their FFC email?? 

I called seven days ago to say I would rather get the FCC (I can't manage a lift and shift.)  They said I would receive an email with the FCC in one day. It has been seven days. Still waiting... 

53 minutes ago, Judy Arthur said:

Balcony.    My agent seems to think it’s because of the size of his company, but who knows??

I guess they decided to hold on to a few Guarantee bookings as they will undoubtedly still get some people drop out...

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

Which cabin class though?

The majority of the problems seem to have been with verandas, not exclusively though.

I think your right. Insides sold out. As we're verandas mostly.  Seems the cruise is back on our ta website. Although showing as sold out

7 hours ago, MDTrip said:

Has anyone who was cancelled received their FFC email?? 

I called seven days ago to say I would rather get the FCC (I can't manage a lift and shift.)  They said I would receive an email with the FCC in one day. It has been seven days. Still waiting... 

After reading this I called Celebrity about my FCC and refund.  I called 2 weeks ago to request them.  They said it had processed but I didn't get any emails or see it online.   They were able to apply it to a future cruise.  The refund was showing on my credit card.  It is a credit card that I rarely use so I hadn't noticed the refund but it was there. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Judy Arthur said:

Not really.   I booked in January 2023 with a TA and we’re seemingly okay so far...🤞.    There doesn’t appear to be any rhyme or reason as to how Celebrity did their dastardly cuts.   I feel badly for all who were adversely affected affected.    How on earth does this happen in this day and age of advanced technology??

Out of curiosity…what class of cabin are you booked?  We were told by Celebrity that anyone booked after October 2021 wiould be canceled…mostly veranda cabins but there have been a few from other categories.   They have been doing the cancelations in waves…ours was one of the first over 2 weeks ago…people are still getting canceled. 

8 minutes ago, Tarwood3 said:

We were told by Celebrity that anyone booked after October 2021 wiould be canceled…

I really doubt that this is the case tbh. Celebrity only cancelled the Fall/Winter 2022 Japanese season (inc the TP from Vanc) in mid April 2022. A lot of people who L&S to 2023/2024 would have done so during those 2ish weeks in April 2022

I was one of those, my booking is still intact, and presuming it stays that way (directly booked with X, so I don’t have to fade a non-proactive TA issue)

Edited by pmarrsouth

1 minute ago, pmarrsouth said:

I really doubt that this is the case tbh. Celebrity only cancelled the Fall/Winter 2022 Japanese season (inc the TP from Vanc) in mid April 2022. A lot of people who L&S to 2023/2024 would have done so during those 2ish weeks in May 2022

I was one of those, my booking is still intact, and presuming it stays that way (directly booked with X, so I don’t have to fade a non-proactive TA issue)

Not talking about L&S…meaning those who booked for the first time after October 2021.  It came straight from the lady in charge of the concierge team handling these cancelations …

5 minutes ago, Tarwood3 said:

Not talking about L&S…meaning those who booked for the first time after October 2021.  It came straight from the lady in charge of the concierge team handling these cancelations …

Fair enough! Seems quite unbelievable though, as anyone who tried to L&S in Apr/May 2022 onto these cruises would not have been able to get onto a room booked by someone who booked from October 2021-March 2022

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tarwood3 said:

Out of curiosity…what class of cabin are you booked?  We were told by Celebrity that anyone booked after October 2021 wiould be canceled…mostly veranda cabins but there have been a few from other categories.   They have been doing the cancelations in waves…ours was one of the first over 2 weeks ago…people are still getting canceled. 

By your logic we should have been cancelled but have not to date; we lifted and shifted 2020 to 2021, then 2021 to 2022, finally in April 2022 l&s to October 2023. The deposit is only an FCC of the original extra 25% for the first cancelled cruise. It is a V1 with confirmed cabin number. At no time was it a guarantee cabin.

From this thread, the last known directly booked cabin was cancelled by Celebrity on 29 April 2023, although some TAs may have been late advising their clients but the TAs themselves would have been notified before 29 April. What cabins have you seen cancelled after this date thanks?

9 minutes ago, pukekolive said:

By your logic we should have been cancelled but have not to date; we lifted and shifted 2020 to 2021, then 2021 to 2022, finally in April 2022 l&s to October 2023. The deposit is only an FCC of the original extra 25% for the first cancelled cruise. It is a V1 with confirmed cabin number. At no time was it a guarantee cabin.

From this thread, the last known directly booked cabin was cancelled by Celebrity on 29 April 2023, although some TAs may have been late advising their clients but the TAs themselves would have been notified before 29 April. What cabins have you seen cancelled after this date thanks?

You misunderstood my post..,not talking about L&S…talking about new bookings after October 2021…Don’t shoot the messenger….just what I was told when we called in about our cancellation and thought I should report what I was told….whether they lied to us or not is a different story…so …believe what you want…just reporting what I was told….

• Like 1

We booked July 15th, 2022 in a Concierge balcony stateroom on the Sept 15, 2023 sailing. As of yet, we have not been cancelled. Tarwood, I think Celebrity has misinformed you.

Barbara

7 minutes ago, abra* said:

We booked July 15th, 2022 in a Concierge balcony stateroom on the Sept 15, 2023 sailing. As of yet, we have not been cancelled. Tarwood, I think Celebrity has misinformed you.

Barbara

I was on the April 9th 2024 circumnavigation of Japan…nowhere near your sail date…not talking about your transatlantic…

2 hours ago, Tarwood3 said:

I was on the April 9th 2024 circumnavigation of Japan…nowhere near your sail date…not talking about your transatlantic…

Ah, only your specific cruise has this October 2021 issue

5 hours ago, Tarwood3 said:

We booked in March 2022, in an inside, and are still confirmed 

I don't suppose that we will even know exactly how they approached this resolution, but the only methodology that seems to fit the facts posted here is that they simply took each cabin that they had overbooked, left the earliest reservation for that cabin in place and then tried to accommodate the others either onboard the same ship with limited change of cabin grade where possible or L&S, or cancellation...

There was certainly no wholesale cancellation of bookings after October '21 based on posts here despite what people were told on the phone.

I also don't blame them for not seeking volunteers in this situation as it would have complicated and slowed down the process and they had left themselves very little time to do this in some cases. Also revenue management may have had a hand in this as they would mostly prefer to cancel older 'L&S' reservations rather than more recent reservations made at higher prices...

Only question I'd really like to know is when did they first discover the extent of the mess they were in...?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Only question I'd really like to know is when did they first discover the extent of the mess they were in...?

I suspect January/February 2023 because that’s when very suddenly, ALL of the Japanese sailings were admittedly “red-flagged” and disappeared from the market.    We, and countless others, strongly suspected that the sailings were under cancellation consideration at the time.   Little did we know…

I realize that Celebrity asking for volunteers would’ve been an even bigger hassle for them.   But really, since it was entirely their fault, they should’ve handled it in this fairest, least destructive, way to the fullest extent possible.   They could’ve made voluntary cancellation attractive enough to generate results and saved a LOT of grief, hard feelings and bad press for the heavy-handed way they did go about it.   Just my opinion…

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Judy Arthur said:

I suspect January/February 2023 because that’s when very suddenly, ALL of the Japanese sailings were admittedly “red-flagged” and disappeared from the market.    We, and countless others, strongly suspected that the sailings were under cancellation consideration at the time.   Little did we know…

I realize that Celebrity asking for volunteers would’ve been an even bigger hassle for them.   But really, since it was entirely their fault, they should’ve handled it in this fairest, least destructive, way to the fullest extent possible.   They could’ve made voluntary cancellation attractive enough to generate results and saved a LOT of grief, hard feelings and bad press for the heavy-handed way they did go about it.   Just my opinion…

I mentioned back about 15 pages that we noticed our cruise in March '24 disappeared from the celebrity and TA sites long before January/February '23, and that I was told by Celebrity CS personnel that it was sold out.

I was one of those who was booked on 1 of the affected cruise, but fortunately, we are safely not impacted. For the first 25 pages or so of this thread, I would say the majority  of posts were by people who were affected, and were offering factual ( well as factual as information obtained from Celebrity personal can be considered factual) information and experiences. There were the occasional “ I think” or “I’ll bet” type threads sprinkled in. But, for the most part we were getting first hand knowledge. Now, we are getting people who have decided that reading 35 pages is too much effort, but I’m going to offer a guess or an opinion anyway, even if it has been factually contradicted just a few pages earlier.

it might be time, if I’m a host or admin, to consider whether this thread has run it’s course or not.

Edited by clojacks
  • Like 1