Japan 2024 canceled…

Tarwood3

4 hours ago, clojacks said:

I was one of those who was booked on 1 of the affected cruise, but fortunately, we are safely not impacted. For the first 25 pages or so of this thread, I would say the majority  of posts were by people who were affected, and were offering factual ( well as factual as information obtained from Celebrity personal can be considered factual) information and experiences. There were the occasional “ I think” or “I’ll bet” type threads sprinkled in. But, for the most part we were getting first hand knowledge. Now, we are getting people who have decided that reading 35 pages is too much effort, but I’m going to offer a guess or an opinion anyway, even if it has been factually contradicted just a few pages earlier.

it might be time, if I’m a host or admin, to consider whether this thread has run it’s course or not.

I understand your general point, but my own “first hand” knowledge is the “fact” that our innocent booking was accepted in January 2023.   Would X really have perpetuated the problem if they were fully aware then?    If I’m allowed to “think”, it’s as previously stated:   Volunteers should’ve been sought and encouraged to alleviate some of the turmoil.   At least, it would’ve seemed like X was working “with” us loyal passengers, not against.

But IF in fact, X has now completed resolving the issue in their own mysterious way, perhaps this thread is no longer relevant, as you suggest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Judy Arthur said:

I understand your general point, but my own “first hand” knowledge is the “fact” that our innocent booking was accepted in January 2023.   Would X really have perpetuated the problem if they were fully aware then?    If I’m allowed to “think”, it’s as previously stated:   Volunteers should’ve been sought and encouraged to alleviate some of the turmoil.   At least, it would’ve seemed like X was working “with” us loyal passengers, not against.

But IF in fact, X has now completed resolving the issue in their own mysterious way, perhaps this thread is no longer relevant, as you suggest.

Let me offer one scenario that may make offering juiced up offers to volunteers unmanageable. Let’s say Celebrity offered 50% FCC to voluntarily give up your cabin in a particular category. But internally, they are going to only offer this to the first 100 cabins. How about if you’re the 101st volunteer and you got back to Celebrity on the second day after CELEBRITY representatives got back to you. Are you now pissed that Celebrity rejected your offer? Let’s say you have a TA handling your reservation and it takes them 4 days to get back to you and when you tell Celebrity you want to take their offer, they tell you you are too late. Now what? Asking for volunteers might not be the answer you think it is.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, clojacks said:

Let me offer one scenario that may make offering juiced up offers to volunteers unmanageable. Let’s say Celebrity offered 50% FCC to voluntarily give up your cabin in a particular category. But internally, they are going to only offer this to the first 100 cabins. How about if you’re the 101st volunteer and you got back to Celebrity on the second day after CELEBRITY representatives got back to you. Are you now pissed that Celebrity rejected your offer? Let’s say you have a TA handling your reservation and it takes them 4 days to get back to you and when you tell Celebrity you want to take their offer, they tell you you are too late. Now what? Asking for volunteers might not be the answer you think it is.

There would be a note in the original email seeking volunteers stating that this is first come first served. Then the persons who are 101st and later (from your example) are now back on the cruise they originally booked, since Celebrity have solved their overbooking problem

Don't use a TA if you are frustrated when their communication is not instant. Same with every other method of travelling & stays

Edited by pmarrsouth
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, pmarrsouth said:

There would be a note in the original email seeking volunteers stating that this is first come first served. Then the persons who are 101st and later (from your example) are now back on the cruise they originally booked, since Celebrity have solved their overbooking problem

Don't use a TA if you are frustrated when their communication is not instant. Same with every other method of travelling & stays

Bingo!  This is exactly why I do not use travel agents.  I do all my own bookings directly.  But, I do understand that not all people have the time to do this.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pmarrsouth said:

Correct. That’s exactly what Princess did when they had the same overbooked situation on one of our cruises.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, clojacks said:

I fail to see how this scenario could come anywhere close to the frustration/disappointment of those passengers affected by the plans they made in good faith being forcibly denied.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Judy Arthur said:

I fail to see how this scenario could come anywhere close to the frustration/disappointment of those passengers affected by the plans they made in good faith being forcibly denied.

When they are trying to clean up the mess caused by multiple 'Covid cancellations' and the inflation of bonus FCC from that period, I very much doubt that starting another round of the same was as high in their thoughts as just bringing everything to a final conclusion with either a refund or one last L&S.

Yes it was handled poorly for sure, and unforgivable mistakes were made which caused the problem in the first place, but they will be hoping that the matter is now closed, rather than pushing another wave of FCC out there...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pmarrsouth said:

This!

The only time I've ever had a problem with an airline asking for volunteers was on one flight where they started boarding, THEN realized they needed volunteers and asked. When there were not initially enough, they came onto the plane and asked those of us on board. It was a FABULOUS offer and 2 of us were going to take it and were on our way off the plane when one of the other gate agents met us and the agent who had come on the plane on the ramp to say that they had gotten enough. The agent who had come down to get us was clearly annoyed and even said to themselves but loud enough we heard it "We should have pulled the offer up there until we asked you." They managed to give us each $100 flight credit even though we still took the flight - it was nowhere near what was being offered though. 

But in that case it was the fault of the gate agents who didn't say something like "We're going to go ask those who have boarded and once I step through that door the offer here is suspended until I am back."

If it's clearly stated this is a limited offer, that's all X would have had to do.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

If it's clearly stated this is a limited offer, that's all X would have had to do.

You mean kind of like how they did with saying May 1st was a deadline for accepting their offer for this fiasco? How did that work out??

And with that, I think I'm done reading this topic....

On 5/5/2023 at 9:37 AM, MDTrip said:

Has anyone who was cancelled received their FFC email?? 

I called seven days ago to say I would rather get the FCC (I can't manage a lift and shift.)  They said I would receive an email with the FCC in one day. It has been seven days. Still waiting... 

Us too.  Our travel agent informed us that we were cancelled on April 17th  Over three weeks ago.  I have not gotten any correspondence from Celebrity.  Not a one.  I called on April 30 to see what was happening as the cancel date was May 1st.  

My March 16th sailing is still showing up on my cruises.  I hate to now go book something else after my previous (March 4th) cruise that was not cancelled.  

Very poor customer service.  I used to be such a cheerleader for Celebrity but now this has left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 12:43 PM, Mark_T said:

Which cabin class though?

The majority of the problems seem to have been with verandas, not exclusively though.

We had a very sweet deal on an inside AI that was B2B with the previous cruise.  We booked in February 2022 on board the Apex and transferred it to our agent.  

They couldn't do us the favor and cancel both.  

13 hours ago, Arubamoose said:

Us too.  Our travel agent informed us that we were cancelled on April 17th  Over three weeks ago.  I have not gotten any correspondence from Celebrity.  Not a one.  I called on April 30 to see what was happening as the cancel date was May 1st.  

My March 16th sailing is still showing up on my cruises.  I hate to now go book something else after my previous (March 4th) cruise that was not cancelled.  

Very poor customer service.  I used to be such a cheerleader for Celebrity but now this has left a bad taste in my mouth.

The March 16 is still showing up on my cruises. Ours was cancelled on 1st May. Asked TA for refund. Not heard anything from X or TA. Will be chasing this up tomorrow.

35 minutes ago, susan450 said:

The March 16 is still showing up on my cruises. Ours was cancelled on 1st May. Asked TA for refund. Not heard anything from X or TA. Will be chasing this up tomorrow.

Good Morning

Not good but I am unsurprised especially with ref to TA.

I recall your earlier post.  I think I may have deduced the TA you used.  

Persistence is the key and under UK regs, they must refund your money within 2 weeks.  Contact Trading Standards if necessary.

Good Luck

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, pmarrsouth said:

Won’t matter either way as the answer to the original Q is unknown 

33 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Remind us please which cruise?

I was referring in general to the block of fall of 23 and spring of 24 Japan cruises that were affected by the overbooking fiasco. I was wondering if there had been any other information following the May 1st deadline.

3 hours ago, clojacks said:

I was referring in general to the block of fall of 23 and spring of 24 Japan cruises that were affected by the overbooking fiasco. I was wondering if there had been any other information following the May 1st deadline.

From what I have seen everything is done for now.  But knowing Celebrity IT who knows.  

So, the 2nd cruise on our B2B (Singapore/Tokyo - 3/4, Tokyo/Tokyo - 3/16) was cancelled by Celebrity.  

Last week, I wrote a very polite but scathing letter to the CEO, Executive Offices, Resolutions Department and anyone else I had an email address for.

Basically, told them that my cheerleading days were over and that I was going to take my money elsewhere. 

Later that day I got a phone call from their Resolutions Department.  I was very polite, yet very angry in speaking to the rep.

Long story - they allowed me to lift and shift both cruises to 2025.

Very satisfied with the outcome.  It pays to complain.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Arubamoose said:

So, the 2nd cruise on our B2B (Singapore/Tokyo - 3/4, Tokyo/Tokyo - 3/16) was cancelled by Celebrity.  

Last week, I wrote a very polite but scathing letter to the CEO, Executive Offices, Resolutions Department and anyone else I had an email address for.

Basically, told them that my cheerleading days were over and that I was going to take my money elsewhere. 

Later that day I got a phone call from their Resolutions Department.  I was very polite, yet very angry in speaking to the rep.

Long story - they allowed me to lift and shift both cruises to 2025.

Very satisfied with the outcome.  It pays to complain.

Thanks for sharing your experience.  It was nice to see you got a positive outcome.  

Does this mean you won't burn your pom-poms after all?

On 5/17/2023 at 1:29 PM, mahdnc said:

Thanks for sharing your experience.  It was nice to see you got a positive outcome.  

Does this mean you won't burn your pom-poms after all?

I won't burn my pom-poms.  They did right by us again.

Did right by us when they got us home safely from South America when the world went to poop with COVID on March 15, 2020.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2023 at 3:45 PM, Lotso88 said:

Wondering if anyone received their $500 usd per person for their non refundable expenses from celebrity? How is it paid out? 

Thanks 

Not yet..