QM2 Cancellation 23rd & 30th April

avalon1025

See the Coronation Celebrations thread:

QM2 is to have a new Coronation voyage, M311E, departing Southampton 2 May 2023, going to their home port of Liverpool (3 May arrive, depart 4 May), 2 sea days, then returning to Southampton on the morning on 7 May 2023. 

So this is presumably in the guise of  lemonade manufacturing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

QM2 is to have a new Coronation voyage, M311E, departing Southampton 2 May 2023, going to their home port of Liverpool (3 May arrive, depart 4 May), 2 sea days, then returning to Southampton on the morning on 7 May 2023. 

Let's home she doesn't need to be towed to or from Liverpool on her 'Coronation Voyage' - would look like a very ill omen for the new monarch.

Is there a ship yard in Liverpool which would be capable of work on the QM2?

36 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

QM2 is to have a new Coronation voyage, M311E, departing Southampton 2 May 2023, going QM2 Cancellation 23rd & 30th April https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2932697-qm2-cancellation-23rd-30th-april/?do=getNewCommentto their home port of Liverpool (3 May arrive, depart 4 May), 2 sea days, then returning to Southampton on the morning on 7 May 2023. 

Given the new M311E cruise, it appears that post #153 is completely wrong. I think we've been pranked. 

• Like 2

The problem would appear to be corrosion in the funnel which contains the exhausts for the four diesel and two auxiliary gas turbine generators (which are only needed when QM2 is travelling at speed) and various ventilation exhausts. The two additional funnels at the stern are exhausts for the galley ventilation system and the onboard incinerators."

“During the 2016 refit, QM2 was fitted with “exhaust gas scrubbers”.
This cleans the emissions of the engines; it is of course especially relevant when cruising in areas of specific scientific interest (such as the Fjords, where she is due next month).
From what I can gather (though don’t know for certain) these are situated inside the funnel.
These areas get very hot when the engines are running, and have corroded to a point where significant repair/replacement is needed. 
The problem has been identified. There is a known fix, and it’s not especially complex but is a major job in duration terms. It cannot be done when engines are underway, hence the need for the unscheduled cancellation. “

https://shipandbunker.com/news/world/494161-flagship-cunard-cruise-ship-relaunched-after-scrubber-installations

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

I would book this " Coronation Voyage" in a heartbeat- but they do not show up on any TA- Webside. Me thinks they are only for " invited guests"!

Come on, this is Cunard. You can’t expect promptitude. They may appear when they get round to it. 😀

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

I would book this " Coronation Voyage" in a heartbeat- but they do not show up on any TA- Webside. Me thinks they are only for " invited guests"!

I bet (but don't actually know) that if you ring up Cunard today they'll relieve you of any spare cash that you may have lying around. That tends to be the way things go. Getting the website updated with photos and maps may not be so quick.

Edited by Pushpit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I bet (but don't actually know) that if you ring up Cunard today they'll relieve you of any spare cash that you may have lying around. That tends to be the way things go. Getting the website updated with photos and maps may not be so quick.

Absolutely they would. The staff I have had the pleasure of speaking to at the UK call centre were extremely helpful and effective. Cunard call centres in other parts of the world, not so much.

1 hour ago, Pushpit said:

Oh they absolutely would be happy to take your money.  When I called customer service to attempt to rebook my voyage, the agent instructed me that I’d have to leave an $1,100 USD deposit—for a trip that I’d already paid for.  

When I was able to control my laughter, I insisted that Cunard make the booking with no deposit on the good faith that they’d issue a FCC in the immediate future.  After speaking to a supervisor, she obliged and finalized the booking.  Voyage M509 in April 2025.  I’m not certain that I want to go at this point, but at least it gives me time to think.  

My anger has abated at this point since I now know how I’m getting home and when.  That being said, the mis-treatment by Cunard and lack of basic courtesy has left an impression on me that will never go away.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Can't find coronation cruise anywhere 

I believe @Bell Boy alluded to it yesterday though I can't find his comment any more.

Anyway, here are the important details ...

The Kings Coronation Grand Celebration

2 May 2023, 5 Nights, RMS Queen Mary 2

Roundtrip Southampton

Southampton - Liverpool (overnight) - Two Glorious Sea Days - Southampton

Inside Stateroom from £194 pp

Oceanview Stateroom from £244 pp

Balcony Stateroom from £294 pp

Club Balcony Stateroom from £394 pp

Princess Grill Suite from £481 pp

Queens Grill Suite Q7 - Q5 from £578 pp

Q4 Queens Grill Suite from £771 pp

Q3 Queens Grill Suite from £964 pp

Q2 Queens Grill Suite from £1639 pp

Q1 Queens Grill Suite from £1929 pp

Pre-register xxxxxxxx  xxxx  today, this cruise goes on sale from 1pm on Thursday 27th April 2023

• Like 1

I totaly understand you feeling cagefreewill- the whole dreadful situation should have been handeled different  from Cunard:

1. Let about 2000 stranded passengers on board the Mary for the time until their journeys home could be arranged.

2. More help to arrange said journeys home.

3. A bit more empathy for those ca. 2000 passenger who where eager to board the QM2. Some look forward to this very day for a long time- some even years- a nice mail and 20% FCC is by far not enough.

THAT WAS NOT UP TO SCRATCH CUNARD!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Solent Richard said:

I believe @Bell Boy alluded to it yesterday though I can't find his comment any more.

Anyway, here are the important details ...

The Kings Coronation Grand Celebration

2 May 2023, 5 Nights, RMS Queen Mary 2

Roundtrip Southampton

Southampton - Liverpool (overnight) - Two Glorious Sea Days - Southampton

Inside Stateroom from £194 pp

Oceanview Stateroom from £244 pp

Balcony Stateroom from £294 pp

Club Balcony Stateroom from £394 pp

Princess Grill Suite from £481 pp

Queens Grill Suite Q7 - Q5 from £578 pp

Q4 Queens Grill Suite from £771 pp

Q3 Queens Grill Suite from £964 pp

Q2 Queens Grill Suite from £1639 pp

Q1 Queens Grill Suite from £1929 pp

Pre-register xxxxxxxx  xxxx  today, this cruise goes on sale from 1pm on Thursday 27th April 2023

It was posted in the Coronation Celebrations thread - copied below 👍

“ #9   

Posted 17 hours ago

STAND BY FOR AN ANNOUNCEMENT FROM CUNARD .

I'm not saying anything , my lips are sealed 😷  “

3 hours ago, Mercruiser said:

Given the new M311E cruise, it appears that post #153 is completely wrong. I think we've been pranked. 

Not pranked, just doing what I knew I'd appreciate others doing if I was booked and the cruise line was being intentionally deceptive with their response, with the information I had from someone a bit higher up at CUK than guest relations. While I can appreciate that it is costly having QM sat in Southampton running on her expensive turbines, I would be rather angry if my cruise had been cancelled only for Cunard to now apparently be offering this short cruise to Liverpool. 

Edited by wftjm89
  • Like 2

It's certainly a good reminder of this comment in our guidelines  -

"On our Cruise Boards, this information may sometimes provided by our volunteer Community Hosts and more often by other contributors, the majority of whom use anonymous user names and are people we've never met. You have no idea who they are, what they do, or what their agenda could possibly be -- and neither do we. The only requirement for membership is a valid e-mail address.

We recognize that while we have tons of great stuff in this forum, people sometimes post messages on the boards that could be misleading, deceptive, or downright wrong. They may do this unintentionally or, sad to say, intentionally. Additionally, there are many different groups who participate, such as travel agents, public relations employees, members of the media, affinity groups, fan groups, other cruise websites etc. whose agenda may not be apparent since we are operating in an anonymous environment.

Treat the cruisers here the same way you'd treat anyone you'd met for the first time. This is important because anyone is welcome to participate in our community. You shouldn't make a cruise decision just because some stranger (or even an online friend) talks it up. Basically, you shouldn't treat cyberspace any differently than you would real life.

The fundamental concept is that you should NOT totally rely upon the information or opinions you read. Rather, you should use what you read here as starting points for doing independent research on cruise lines, ships, hotels, shore excursions and bargain-hunting techniques. Then judge for yourself the merits of the material that has been shared in our forum."

I think we're all relieved that the 2 month guess turned out to be incorrect and mostly understand that a short cruise to fill the gap is a reasonable thing to do in the circumstances. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2