Carnival Passport Question

LadyL

Our daughter has decided to join us on our eastern caribbean cruise next April. Her passport is in her maiden name, no biggie, but expires on 10/13 and we'll get back on 4/14, so 1 day short of the 6 month requirement. Do you more seasoned cruisers think this will be okay? She did book under her maiden name because of the passport. TIA to all.

Edited by LadyL

When I extensively inquired about the six month thing what I was told is that there are some countries that won't let you in unless you have six months left on your passport. Those countries are usually the ones that also require a visa.

But none of that is true for Caribbean and Central American countries. Carnival still has the blanket recommendation for six months, but it is just a recommendation and they don't "enforce" it unless one of the port countries requires it - and none in the Caribbean require it.

You don't have a problem.

• Like 3

Though, if she's not traveling between now and next April, might as well renew it before hand.  It can take a few months to get these days, so it's better to get it earlier, when you know you have the time.

Being good for 10 years, there isn't much difference getting the new one this year or next.

• Like 3

Yep you are all good, I think they always say good for 6 months is because they want you covered for an unexpected contingency.  Say someone is seriously hurt and has to spend months in a foreign country/port before they are well enough to return home... that kind of thing. 

36 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Yep you are all good, I think they always say good for 6 months is because they want you covered for an unexpected contingency.  Say someone is seriously hurt and has to spend months in a foreign country/port before they are well enough to return home... that kind of thing. 

Yes, but also some countries (including greenland) require the 6 months. So, to make things simpler, they recommend it for all cruises. 

Well first hand experience, they didn't stop us.  We booked a last minute October cruise last Fall and our Passport expired in November.  I took our birth certificate with us just in case.  Lady at desk stopped for a second and made a comment, "I thought for a second these were expired, but you are still good for another month."  Off we went on our merry way 😉

On 4/23/2023 at 10:25 PM, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Though, if she's not traveling between now and next April, might as well renew it before hand.  It can take a few months to get these days, so it's better to get it earlier, when you know you have the time.

Being good for 10 years, there isn't much difference getting the new one this year or next.

As stated, for this cruise, there is no reason to renew 18 months early. And if she did renew now, I presume it would be with the name change and create a problem for her current booking. Unless she expects travel next summer she would need it for, she can renew after this cruise and have plenty of time.

1 hour ago, bluesman0711 said:

Our daughter has a passport that expires in July, we’re cruising with her in May, her birth certificate has her maiden name. Will she have any issues?

As I stated above, my first hand experience is you are fine.  I boarded a cruise in October with only 4 weeks left on my passport.

I did take my birth certificate and copy of marriage license (because of the last name being different) - JUST in case... never needed it.  They accepted my passport with only 4 weeks left on it.