LIVE * Prima * April 30 – May 7, 2023 * Aft OS

HBCcruiser

23 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh!!! You've got me looking. I love that itinerary. If I can just convince our bank account for this one. Oooolalala, we might be cruising together! We can build our own garbage plates. 🙂

George and I are also on this cruise in fact I'm coordinating the M&G & LCR. Another person is doing the Slot Pull. Book and then come join the roll call. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

Indulge for us ended up being Inedible

Yeah, I know food is extremely subjective, but we absolutely loved Indulge Food Hall.  By comparison, we found most of the specialty restaurants kind of a "blah", bland, been-there-done-that food experience.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

really glad to hear you say it was an upscale experience. That's what it's being sold as, so it needs to offer this to customers in all levels of staterooms! And, thanks for your observations. I'm really glad I could read about one of your cruises. 🙂 

I thought of you when I got the burrata salad. The burrata was larger than a baseball.

IMG_5154.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Case in point.  How long did it take them to dump the return to in-person Musters?  I think it was about two weeks' worth of surveys.😀  I complained about them in February and they were gone by my April cruises.

The in-person musters were supposed to be continued through April 1. We sailed March 28, so I resigned myself to doing in-person. We were pleased to find that all that was requires of us was to watch the video (and they sent us multiple e-mails to remind us😵) and check in at the muster station to scan our cards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh!!! You've got me looking. I love that itinerary. If I can just convince our bank account for this one. Oooolalala, we might be cruising together! We can build our own garbage plates. 🙂 

That would be great!..I have a feeling that as more and more people discover that itinerary a goodly number of folks here on CruiseCritic will be jumping at that cruise...the more the merrier!

• Like 1

Thanks for your through review.  I had the same reservations on this room but didn’t want to sour your opinion.  Seems you had the same issues with the stateroom.  We were in a haven penthouse for 10 nights prior to moving into your stateroom for the TA.  The penthouse we had was incredibly noisy with non rectifiable ceiling noises that necessitated us sleeping in a room down a couple of decks in a nice quiet balcony room.  Luckily your stateroom just had the one comparatively quiet creak in the bedroom ceiling. It was on our ta segment that husband and I got COVID. It was right before they ended the covid protocols and testing.  I think we were the last mandated sailings to be tested before sailing. We were allowed to stay onboard and be treated /quarantined in the stateroom.  So despite all the flaws with this room I was so thankful we had spent extra for this room with the balcony and hot tub.  I did eventually get pretty stir crazy even in this suite and can tell u every little flaw with this room.  I think the two top category suites are better equipped.  This room seems like an afterthought design that just doesn’t work - right down to blowing the entire power to the suite and surrounding area each time I used the hardwired hairdryer in the bathroom.  I told the engineers that something was definitely correlated and initially they told me it couldn’t be but 100% of the time i used it the power blew.  I wonder if they subsequently just removed the hard wired hairdryer or fixed the issue. 

I wasn’t crazy about the Haven (except loved the Haven restaurant) but I absolutely loved the rest of the Prima.  I think I’d either book non haven or one of the two top suites and seeing how expensive the aft hot tub suites are on 13, 14 and 15, I’m pretty sure I’m ok with non haven, specialty dining and extras such as spa pass on this class. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2023 at 9:38 AM, HBCcruiser said:

We couldn’t leave the ship until 8:45. Then I was red flagged because I needed to collect $12! I had cashed out yesterday but they had made some sort of error. Luckily David took care of it quickly.

We are hoping we can make our flight. The city is a cluster with all of the road closures. Some bike race. Ugh! People coming and going from/ to the ship may have delays as well. 🙏

Yes there were 32,000 of us biking 40 miles through the 5 boroughs of NYC. 6th Avenue was closed to cross traffic at almost every street most of the morning, so that was no doubt a huge issue getting out to the airport.   

Pro Tip for future cruisers:  This tour has occurred for the past 45 years, so don't sail out of NYC where the return debarkation is on the first Sunday in May and if you have an early flight home.  😉

Edited by McGarrett5oh
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, littlelulu01 said:

right down to blowing the entire power to the suite and surrounding area each time I used the hardwired hairdryer in the bathroom.  I told the engineers that something was definitely correlated and initially they told me it couldn’t be but 100% of the time i used it the power blew.  I wonder if they subsequently just removed the hard wired hairdryer or fixed the issue

Wow! It’s a good thing I brought my own because the hairdryer was still there! I’m glad you had a good time on the Prima. It is a very pretty ship. Getting COVID on a ship is no fun. Glad to see you handled it in style. 

Do I need a double bathroom sink on a cruise? Rather have the counter space if there are no towel hooks/ racks.

It's like buying a Mercedes with crank windows🤣

Edited by NJGeorge
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, McGarrett5oh said:

How did you like Los Lobos and Le Bistro?

Food was fantastic in Los Lobos but we went on Cinco de Mayo so it was jammed. Reservations were about 20-30 minutes delayed. We already had our entrees and still did not have the "made at the table guac" so DH cancelled it. We did make it out in time for the fantastic Donna Summer show.

Le Bistro was great as usual. I had the tenderloin which I always seem to order. It was melt in your mouth good!

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, curlstravel said:

I loved Los Lobos when I was on the Prima.  We didn’t expect it go be so good.

I second that!...Los Lobos was by far our favorite dining experience!!...We also didn't expect it to be so good 🙂

On 5/9/2023 at 9:48 AM, Red-Sol said:

Heading back your way! While Prima wasn't our favorite cruise there's a 15 day cruise out of NYC in November on Getaway (Wish it was a Plus ship but I digress 🙂) Just too good of an itinerary to pass up even if there's visible areas of cutbacks.

I've been eyeballing Haven cabins on ANY of the Away+ ships.  They're steep.  But, I'm bound and determined to find a "deal" eventually.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I've been eyeballing Haven cabins on ANY of the Away+ ships.  They're steep.  But, I'm bound and determined to find a "deal" eventually.

Ask in the other place, I have a good link for searching that....

• Like 2

On 5/8/2023 at 9:09 PM, HBCcruiser said:

In case you are wondering WTH we are talking about re the hand towels, in this photo you can see that there is very little counter space and nowhere to leave a hand towel. 

Call me silly, but what about this bar right here to drape them over?

image.png.5fbacf76f077b1ebac61d1be7cc2a4f5.png

On 5/9/2023 at 11:08 AM, Quencups said:

I know to some it sounds like we are knit-picking and complaining, but when you pay a ridiculous amount of money for luxury, you really shouldn't have to live out of a suitcase.  I believe the cabin design is flawed.  For example four people could shower in the master bathroom shower, but there is no storage space for toiletries.

Again, call me silly - but I would prefer a 4 person shower to a walk-in closet every day of the week. Between closets and drawers, I put my stuff away and otherwise use that space for 5 mins a day. But a nice car wash shower - I would stay in there forever if I didn't have anywhere else to go.

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Lucky for you, I have a good record of finding good deals for other people so I can live vicariously through them with my lack of PTO to go myself.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Call me silly, but what about this bar right here to drape them over

I thought about that but it’s way too low and it holds the other towels from falling on the floor.