Increased Medallion Wifi Rates

mikjr

8 hours ago, mikjr said:

how many days is your cruise??   Shorter cruises are cheaper, our Hawaii is 16 days, so it's more... but as mentioned, we took the same cruise in March at it was $150 for both of us!!  The price has doubled!!  

Naturally shorter cruises mean less dollars paid out, but the price is the same for short and long voyages because they charge by the day - same as previous pricing.

Single Devices went from $10/day to $15/day.  50% off if you are eligible.

Four Devices went from $20/day to $40/day.  50% off if you are eligible.  TBH, the former price for 4 devices was a steal compared to single device and was really miss-priced.  Now you need 3 people to justify sharing a 4-device plan.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rj59 said:

One of the drawbacks of one-level of wifi and more people getting it through Plus, is that more people are using it, expecting streaming-level quality, and so that slows down things for everyone, particularly in areas with poor wifi coverage, like Alaska.

Maybe people are expecting streaming level quality is because that is what Princess is promising to deliver.

From the Princess web site:

MedallionNet®
The Best Wi-Fi at Sea

Fast. Reliable. Unlimited. Affordable. Now on all ships.

Wi-Fi Wherever You Are

Access the internet everywhere on board so you can text, post photos, video chat and stream your favorite shows, movies, music and sports with ease. Read on to learn just how revolutionary MedallionNet Wi-Fi is and how popular it is with our guests.

Fast and Reliable Internet

MedallionNet Wi-Fi sets the industry standard for internet at sea. FaceTime your pooch in the morning. Stream your favorite shows by the pool in the afternoon. Post your Chocolate Journeys dessert from your dinner table. Thanks to state-of-the-art technology, you can now stay connected with Wi-Fi coverage as you sail.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, mikjr said:

I think that's the whole deal... they are raising the individual prices on items, trying to force people into the PLUS packages.   Problem is...  I drink very little alcohol, and don't drink sodas.  So the packages are a waste of money for me and my wife.  It's still cheaper for us to prepay gratuities and buy and Wifi package, so we'll continue with that for now.

That's exactly what Princess is doing, trying to push people to Plus or Premier based on the perceived value ("It's only $X more than what I was going to spend a la carte anyway to get all those benefits!").  Princess still comes out ahead because the amenities have minimal marginal cost (wifi and exercise classes) or a huge markup from cost to a la carte prices (alcohol, especially swill wine) or are just something that most just don't want or are only going to try once (premium desserts).  

They break even or lose money on people like me who can put away 10-15 drinks a day on a cruise but have to be netting more from the average cruiser than they would by just selling a la carte, otherwise there's no reason to sell Plus or Premier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

I have never understood the need to pay for more than one device anyway.  Just log off whatever device you were using before logging on to the next device you want to use.  It literally takes a moment, and because the wi-fi is so crappy, there's no way I'm dropping that kind of cash for subpar internet.  
And Princess is charging that because they know there are people who will pay it.  More's the pity.

You don't even have to log off.  Just sign on with the second device and it will step you through logging off the previous device and sign on with your current device.  Easy-Peasy

• Like 5

11 hours ago, mikjr said:

We'll just get one device this time and not get plans for our IPADS....  

Keep in mind that you can use as many devices as you like with the "single device" plan...just not at the same time.  When you try to connect the next device the system automatically detects this and logs off the previous device.  Easy!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mikjr said:

It shows the price for 4 devices is $640, now $320 with Elite discount, and 1 device is $240, new $120 with discount.   Last time we had 2 IPAD and 2 IPHONES on the plan at $150 for 15 days.   We'll just get one device on the plan this time.   

IMG_934A7C622602-1.jpeg

Oh, I now see that! 

However, if you do the math, that’s only $5 a day per device.  Those prices are actually cheap when comparing to other cruiselines.  We were just on Celebrity and the WiFi was useless.  To upgrade to the high speed, it was another $18 per day per device and that was also with our elite discount.  While MedallionNet can be problematic, it is much better and a lot cheaper than most WiFi out there.  

You can always swap out one device for the other unless you have to have all four running at the same time.  If you find you need the four device package, you can upgrade once onboard via the app and it’s prorated for the remaining days.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

You can always swap out one device for the other unless you have to have all four running at the same time.  If you find you need the four device package, you can upgrade once onboard via the app and it’s prorated for the remaining days.  

If you are spending a great deal of time using the four devices at one time, then the bigger expense is the cruise fare which makes the cruise an expensive traveling Internet Cafe.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

And can somebody explain the need to be connected when you are on a cruise?  Not the WANT, but the NEED?

I was able to talk my daughter into coming on a 15 night cruise with me. She can work remotely, and there are a lot of sea days. She will be able to work from the ship on those days. She probably couldn't have come with me if she had to take more than 2 weeks off of work! So she definitely needs that wifi!

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

And can somebody explain the need to be connected when you are on a cruise?  Not the WANT, but the NEED?

If you are unable to imagine why some people "NEED" to be connected, then I don't  think any responses will help you better understand.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2011mom said:

I was able to talk my daughter into coming on a 15 night cruise with me. She can work remotely, and there are a lot of sea days. She will be able to work from the ship on those days. She probably couldn't have come with me if she had to take more than 2 weeks off of work! So she definitely needs that wifi!

Hopefully...your cruise will have acceptable WiFi performance.  Many people have posted that WiFi was abysmal on their particular cruise.  If she absolutely MUST be connected...you might want to do some research!  What ship/itinerary>

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Hopefully...your cruise will have acceptable WiFi performance.  Many people have posted that WiFi was abysmal on their particular cruise. 

Yeah she's aware. She doesn't have to be online all the time, she can do a lot of work offline then send it in, so we're hoping it's good enough for that! It's not until next year, maybe they'll improve the wifi by then too.

9 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Not a necessity... but we have new grandchildren, and it's nice to keep in touch with them, send and receive photos, etc.   BUT the real need is, we are self employed and get emails and phone calls requesting info on our business.  And the reason I stay in business at age 75??  It's so I can CRUISE more....  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

o View and pay bills: Credit cards, home utilities, etc.

o Communicate with vendors of independent shore excursions on the cruise

• Like 3

17 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I took care of a sick parent for 20 years. I had to be connected if something happened.

• Like 1

interesting replies to my question about staying connected.  So what did we all do before cellphones and wifi?

I'll admit, I'm old school.  In the hierarchy of needs, staying connected on a cruise is way, way  down there for me.  Long retired.  I set up automatic payments for bills when I'm traveling. Previous generation is gone thanks to cholesterol and tobacco, so no need to worry there. We've trained the next generations to get by without constant contact from the parents/grandparents. I can use the internet cafe to check in for the airline if need be, but we usually stay over at least one night and fly the day after the cruise.  I order drinks when a waiter comes around, and a dollar or two extra keeps them coming around.

So, in my case, I really have no NEED to be connected, and very little WANT. 

To each his own.

19 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

interesting replies to my question about staying connected.  So what did we all do before cellphones and wifi?

I'll admit, I'm old school.  In the hierarchy of needs, staying connected on a cruise is way, way  down there for me.  Long retired.  I set up automatic payments for bills when I'm traveling.

I do have automatic payments on some utilities (cable, electricity), but the payments go to credit cards which must get paid.

Although credit cards can also be set up for autopay, I would never pay a credit card bill sight unseen due to the possibility of fraudulent or incorrect charges. 

Sure on a short cruise of two weeks or less I would be home in time to pay any bills, but on a trip longer than that, I would have to pay while on the trip.

19 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I can use the internet cafe to check in for the airline if need be

And in the days before anyone had one or more Internet devices, ships only had Internet availability via an Internet Cafe and, in Princess's case, a computer in each full suite.

So back then I would purchase Internet minutes to do what was essential while traveling.

Even with free Platinum/Elite Internet minutes, I would use the Internet less than 10 minutes a day.

(By the way, back before anyone had one or more Internet devices, the Platinum/Elite benefit was for unlimited Internet minutes in the Internet Cafe.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I'll admit, I'm old school.  In the hierarchy of needs, staying connected on a cruise is way, way  down there for me.  Long retired.  I set up automatic payments for bills when I'm traveling. Previous generation is gone thanks to cholesterol and tobacco, so no need to worry there. We've trained the next generations to get by without constant contact from the parents/grandparents. I can use the internet cafe to check in for the airline if need be, but we usually stay over at least one night and fly the day after the cruise.  I order drinks when a waiter comes around, and a dollar or two extra keeps them coming around.

So, in my case, I really have no NEED to be connected, and very little WANT. 

To each his own.

And there is nothing wrong with the way you like to enjoy your cruise!!   

Edited by mikjr

20 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You forgot to mention your need/want for a wee dram or two in the evening.  😉

And I don't need a cellphone for that!  Just like the olden days, the waiters seem to find me when I'm dry 

It's also amusing to watch them wander around with food or drink trying to locate the person who ordered it with their cellphone.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, 2011mom said:

As long as she doesn't have to work over VPN.  I wouldn't count on the wifi signal being strong enough for that. 

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

And I don't need a cellphone for that!  Just like the olden days, the waiters seem to find me when I'm dry 

It's also amusing to watch them wander around with food or drink trying to locate the person who ordered it with their cellphone.

I have to go to the bar anyway since I don't believe they have added option to order a drink not on the pre-set menu.  The only time I have ordered a drink (a rare event for me anyway) on the App was when they were giving us first drink free pre-Covid days.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 2:08 PM, SargassoPirate said:

Having access to Wi-Fi has opened up lots of options, especially for people to take longer trips. The ability to check-in on work email or review and pay bills as examples are game changers if you want to be gone more than a couple of weeks.

I personally want to be able to communicate with my family pretty regularly although it certainly isn’t a “need”. I wouldn’t normally go more than a couple of weeks without being in touch. Knowing that I can be reached, especially in case of an emergency is also important to me.

On 4/27/2023 at 4:19 PM, mikjr said:

WOW.... can't believe the Wifi rates doubled!   As Elites, we paid $150 (4 devices) for 15 days to Hawaii back in March of this year.   Taking the same cruise in July (16 days), the cost is now $320.00 for 4 devices!!  UNREAL! 

for a couple just book 2 individual wifi. Elite discount would be 7.50 each per day. or 240 for a 16 day cruise. Even cheaper would be 1 individual wifi which would be  $120 and share that connection. When the second  connects it disconnects the first person. Just coordinate who is going to use it when.