Avalon Tulip Time Tranquility II April 30, 2023 - semi live

YoungDubFan

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

YoungDubFan was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

I’m getting ready to head to the airport for my Avalon Tulip Time cruise on the Tranquility II. I booked the cruise with 1 day in Amsterdam, since I always fly in a day early anyways. I have the Avalon Go app and was able to view the first of the newsletters. We have a welcome reception tomorrow night at 5 pm to meet our cruise director and have a drink. Than on Sun. Morning, we have a behind the scenes walking tour that leaves the hotel at 8:45 am. Our bags will be picked up and taken to the ship. We are supposed to get to the ship around 11:45 for lunch, then we can explore some that afternoon on our own. Some people may have signed up for the Zanse Schans (sp?) optional excursion but I’ve already done that one my 1st Avalon cruise back in 2012. I will try to post daily but no promises. I also won’t post pictures until I get home because I don’t want to be bothered trying to figure out how to do that. I’ll try to answer questions that anyone has.

• Like 1

Have a great trip, we just got our seats booked for our cruise in Sept, so getting excited here. I hear the app is great, and when you get the whisper things for the tours, they also work as hot spots for internet and are great.

Made it to Amsterdam. I was lucky to be one of the 1st off the plane. There was no line at Customs so that was easy. Once I had my luggage, I decided to take a cab to the Hotel Jakarta. Of course rooms aren’t ready yet but I can leave my bags and go explore. I’m doing the Vermeer exhibit at 12:30 and will just walk around until then. We have a 5 pm welcome reception tonight.

• Like 1

Had a very full day. Left the hotel and took bus to Central Station. Walked around a bit. Joined a walking tour at 10:30, then Vermeer exhibit at the Rijksmuseum at 12:30. Lunch outside the museum in the beautiful sunny weather. Tram to Central Station, bus back to hotel and luckily my room was ready. Given a glass of Prosecco at check in. Now to rest and shower before 5 pm cocktail meeting with Avalon rep. 

• Like 2

Sounds as if you got lucky at the airport...first post on another group I belong to was a picture of masses of people lined up waiting to get through security at Schiphol....and then finally getting there only to find out that there were only 3 officers on duty. Mind you, it was the day after King's Day, so maybe there were a few calling in unable to cope? 🙂

Glad to hear you are having great weather, hope it lasts for you.

At Schiphol anything can slow security down, I was wearing my admittedly brand new Timberland walking boots and it was when you had to take off your shoes the security lady went completely do lally called all her friends to see them hence a hold up just because they all liked Timberlands and had never seen the style before. I do like the Dutch. Wearing my boots saves weight in my suitcase.

This morning we left the hotel at 8:45 am and took a 10 min bus ride for an Off the Beaten Path walking tour of the Western Islands. This was about 2 hours in total with a 30 min coffee / tea stop in the middle. Then we took the bus to the ship for lunch in the lounge. My cabin was ready around 12:20 so I was able to unpack. Those taking the Zaanse Shanz excursion left at 1pm. The weather is so beautiful here that I think I’m going to spend the afternoon up on the sun deck, relaxing and reading my book. It’s too nice of a day to be in a museum. 

• Like 4

There are only 89 of us on board, which is great. Great first day. Drinks flowed freely during orientation talk / happy hour. Luckily for me the same waiter from the bar was my waiter at dinner so the wine flowed freely as well. We were informed that the Tranquility has to go into dry dock on Tues to get a propellor repaired. They are changing the half day at Keukenhof to a full day at Keukenhof. They are also adding a morning excursion in Rotterdam along with an afternoon excursion to Kinderjkik for anyone not doing Keukenhof. No one can stay on the ship. We are also being given 30€ each for lunch. Avalon knows how to take care of its passengers when there are issues. I’m off to bed soon since I’m doing the flower auction tomorrow morning It leaves at 6:15 am. 

Feel free to ask any questions about the tranquility or Avalon. 

Please remember to pack your adapters. The number of passengers who didn’t bring one and were surprised that one is needed is surprising. I even gave one of the passengers one of my extra ones. 

• Like 1

The included excursion to the Aalsmeer flower auction left at 6:15 am this morning. It was about a 40 min drive from the ship to the auction house. Then we had way too much time to walk through and look at the flowers being moved around. All bidding is now done virtually so we were not able to see any of that occurring. We were able to watch the flowers being moved around which was fascinating. After the auction, we went to a local hotel / restaurant in Aalsmeer for breakfast. We were back at the boat around 10:35 am. Now I’m taking a nap before the option excursion to Muiderslot castle at 1 pm. 

• Like 1

Keukenhof is very special, and its good that you have a chance to stay longer.

The gardens are large, but still fill up quickly.  If you  have the chance to either stay, or return later in the afternoon, the crowds seem to clear up a bit.

OR, no idea if you could swing it (taxi with your new friends), Leiden is 10 minutes from Keukenhof, and their Botanical garden was founded in mid 1550's, and they were huge in cultivating and popularizing tulips.  I went from the crowds of Keukenhof one day, to the tranquil Botanical gardens the next, chilling on a bench w/ a book, surrounded by nature in their sunken fern garden, when a cat decided to sit on my lap and visit.  Well worth a visit, as is the town of Leiden itself.

• Like 1

Just back from the excursion to Muiderslot castle. It was about a 30 min drive from the ship. We left at 1pm and were back on board around 4:25 pm. Nice excursion. After we toured the castle, we walked into the town of Muirden and had a drink and a piece of apple pie at a local pub. While we were walking, a few boats were going through the lock system so we got to see the locks work and the bridge swing closed to cars and open to boats. Our guide says most of his trips don’t get to see that. We had a bit of light rain at the castle but the sun is out and it is a bit windy. Having a great time. 

• Like 1

A full day at Keukenhoff, I'd love that!  We got there about 1:30, and had to leave again around 5:00. Could have spent a lot more time, however DH says if we are over again and it's on, we would go back, so guess that's a good thing. Really hope you have a good day for it.

Love hearing how Avalon looks after it's guests.

• Like 1

Spent the full day at Keukenhof gardens. The tulips are in full bloom along with many other flowers. It was absolutely gorgeous. Pictures do not do it justice. I’ll post some once I’m home. I understand we needed to spend most of the day there so the ship could get repaired but I felt it was a bit too long. I did buy a pair of wooden clogs. They were a great deal at under €40. I was looking at a pair 11 years ago when I went to Zaanse Schans and didn’t get them because they were almost €100. We’re going to do a cruise around Rotterdam harbor before dinner. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YoungDubFan said:

I understand we needed to spend most of the day there so the ship could get repaired but I felt it was a bit too long.

You can easily spend a day without seeing all of Keukenhof, but speaking personally my body was worn out after half a day!  We were glad that we were able to do another half day at the end of our trip – got to see almost all of Keukenhof, got to see how it changes as different flowers bloom, and got to spread out the exercise over two days!