Rate my cabin?

busyVoice

Hi all! Long time reader, third time poster, etc. Going on my first cruise ever with my parents, and we have booked the cabin: VB10019, which is right next to the cafe and pool on the Westerdam. I've heard that it's better to book a cabin with other cabins all around, rather than on a deck with Other Things on it, because of noise. Have I made a horrible mistake, and should I contact my travel agent ASAP? Or can I chill out, and it will be fun to be next to the cafe?

You are next to the Crow's Nest which will be quiet.  It is a nice place for a cup of coffee or a drink and to enjoy the scenery from a warm, comfortable chair.  The rest of the deck is an open deck that should not be a problem for you.  You are above the spa and should have no noise issues there either.  

Some don't like cabins that are far forward, but you may be just fine.  Relax and enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

VB10019 is on deck 10, one deck above and forward of the pool, and even further forward of the Lido Buffet. One end of your corridor exits to the Crow's Nest, the other end (near your cabin) exits to the outside deck where you can walk around. This is also where jogging is permitted.

The balconies are smaller than on lower decks.

Benefits, next to Crow's Nest for Coffee and Drinks, along with some activities. An elevator ride down to the Main Stage and other entertainment.

Otherwise, a bit of a walk to the Lido Buffet and the same with an elevator ride to the Main Dining Room.

@dfish posted at the same time!!

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 2

We almost always get the VB cabins on the this floor (10/11 depending on ship) that has the short hallways and is close to crows nest.  Great for early AM coffee runs.  And you are all the way back as far as you can be without having the last cabin (which can get some noise depending on the exterior deck door slamming at the end of hallways ) which should be the best for motion on that deck. 

i find these convenient to the elevators and much improved over being in a ship-length hallways that can get crowded with mobility devices and folks of various walking speeds on other decks. 

• Like 1

If you like to spend any time out on your balcony, you may not like the deck 10 veranda cabins.  The balconies are not very deep, some call them Juliet balconies.  They are just deep enough for a single chair.   Its really a personal choice depending on how much time and activity you plan to spend on your balcony.  Check out Cruise Deck Plans dot com.  You will be able to see the size.

Those are "add on cabins" put up there a few years back. The balconies aren't deep, but they do accommodate 2 chairs.  

I personally like the location.  My only issue was with the HVAC when we were on a cruise during warm months in a warm location. 

The HVAC seems to be scavenged from other areas, so it was woefully inefficient--these cabins have nothing above them to insulate them from the sun. Combine that with the balcony doors and boy, did it get hot.  We had to put a note on the curtains so that the stewards never opened them.  Keeping it buttoned up and with the thermostat as low as it would go, we could only get it down to about 82 degrees at night.  I complained multiple times and they tried to fix it, but nothing worked.

I'd definitely book one of these rooms again, but only traveling during cooler months and to cooler destinations.

To be honest I have never had one of these cabins but would not choose them for two reasons.

The balcony is considerably smaller then usual and you will/might be trying to sit there with three of you.

Secondly they are also much further forward  you might know the term “the more you pay the more you sway” not good for anyone prone to seasickness.

We always book the VB cabins aft on deck four which have some of the largest regular balcony cabins.