It's Time for a CELEBRATION!!! (with pics) - April 16th 2023

Jamman54

3 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I had no idea this place existed. And to the contrary, thanks to Patti’s pictures, I definitely feel like I need to stop here. I need more info. Why is this a thing? Who decided to do this here? Why isn’t this mini golf rated higher than the pirate place?! All the questions. 

I first stopped here when we used to drive down to Florida for Spring break back in the 70's. It was a dump even then. My son Ryan loved to get his fireworks here when we drove to our father/son cruises. 😎

• Like 4

Living in NC....and driving to FL lots and lots of times...plus sometimes we would go to Myrtle Beach that way...have never stopped!!!   but always liked looking at the signs coming and going....LOL....glad Patti got to visit and thanks for the pictures...it has always looked a bit sketchy to me!!

• Like 3

Some random thoughts and our plans for the future. 

On my very last post of the review, I noticed that I neglected to post the photos from our last dinner of this trip. Not wanting to leave anything on the table, let’s get these posted.

Once we’re settled in, we head over to Chili’s for some dinner…..

IMG_5206-X2.jpg

Patti had a Caesar salad and the potato soup…..

IMG_5207-X2.jpg

I had some southwest rolls and boneless wings…..

IMG_5208-X2.jpg

IMG_5209-X2.jpg

I feel better now!

Patti and I really enjoyed our cruise on the Celebration. The ship is nearly identical in almost every way to the Mardi Gras, which we also enjoyed. I think we liked The Gateway concept on the Celebration over the Mardi Gras French Quarter. No real reasons, just personal preference.

Once again, we never ate in the MDR except for the Diamond Brunch. There are just so many dining options there is no need to. There were a couple of days where we just wanted a quick meal up at the Marketplace. We had no problem finding something that we liked, and most of what was on the dining room menu that day, was available here.

We have to say that even with over 6,000 passengers on board we really didn’t run into many crowding issues, other than embarkation day where everyone heads to the Lido Deck. Yes, you had to line up for the 18+ comedy shows at the Punchliner, but the PG comedy shows at the Limelight Lounge were no problem. If you want a good seat at the Grand Spectrum Theater, get there a half hour early. Now the Center Stage is a different animal. There aren’t many seats on any deck that give you a clear view of any show. If you want one of those, get there an hour early. Patti being hearing impaired likes to sit as close as possible, so you’ll find us down on the floor amongst the props and set pieces. It’s pretty cool to sit down there, but even down there you can’t see everything. With the huge video screens, you feel like you’re “inside” the show, and during some of the shows the cast will interact with you. Pretty cool. Just one thing to know that if you sit down there, you can’t leave once the show starts. Well, you can, but there is a procedure that the crew will explain to you before the show. Our favorite shows this week were Celestial Strings, The Most Magnificent Circus, and We are One.

Our ports of call worked perfectly for us as we are cabana and all-inclusive people. We’ve been to these ports so many times that all we’re looking for is relaxation. Paradise Beach in Cozumel was A++, having a beach cabana at Mahogany Bay was A+, and the day at Costa Maya just walking around and having some cocktails, was the perfect day in between. That being said, with ships this size, there aren’t many port options in the Western Caribbean. There are too many passengers to go to any tender ports such as Grand Cayman or Belize. The Eastern & Southern Caribbean itineraries allow for a few more options.

We love the cabins on this class of ships, even if the bathrooms are a little smaller. On all three of our XL cruises, we had extended balconies on the “hump”. I believe that these are the only balconies on the ship that you can look down directly to the water. We have another one of these cabins when we are back on the Celebration in January.

As far as embarkation and debarkation went, it was as almost perfect as it could possibly be. I would highly recommend that you get passports if you haven’t already. Though not needed to travel on these cruises, getting through customs is a breeze if you have one. Step up to the facial recognition and you’re out of there. If not, you’ll have to wait in what could be a lengthy line to see an agent. Your choice.

Patti and I are not crazy about sailing from Miami anymore. For us, Port Canaveral is much easier, since most of the time we drive to Florida, and can save about eight hours of driving by cruising from there. I also know that it’s much easier to fly to Miami to board a ship, than it is to fly to Orlando for PC departures. Whatever works best for you.

My mind has gone blank, so if you have any questions at all we’ll be more than happy to answer them for you. If I think of anything else, I’ll be sure to post it.

And now for our future cruise plans. On September 23rd we will be boarding the Carnival Venezia from our homeport of New York for B2B cruises. The first cruise is a 6 day cruise to New England and Canada, and the second cruise is a 15 day Journeys cruise to the Eastern & Southern Caribbean. 21 days on the same ship is a record for us and seeing the early pictures from several “live” reviewers here on the TA has us really excited!

On January 14th 2024, we will be on the Celebration from Miami again for a 7 day cruise to the Eastern Caribbean. This will be even more special as its “The Tribe” cruise, so we’ll be meeting up with a whole bunch of the Cruise Critic Family. Can’t wait!

On April 14th 2024, we will be back in Port Canaveral for B2B cruises on the Vista to the Eastern and Southern Caribbean. We have the same Havana inside cabin booked for both legs. Two weeks of the “Havana Experience”. Sweet!

Finally, on September 8th 2024, we will be boarding the Pride in Baltimore for a 14 day Journeys cruise to Greenland and Canada. This will be our 6th time on the Pride, and to all ports that will be new to us. The Pride, just out of dry dock is looking good!

We haven’t booked anything for 2025 yet, as we are waiting for the Europe and Med itineraries to be posted. Also in the works is a mega road trip that may include Galveston, New Orleans, and/or Mobile. Stay tuned for that! Will any of you be sailing with us? If not, we’ll be bringing the cruise to you!

Before I end this, I have to thank my wife Patti. I couldn’t do these adventures, or these reviews, without her. She is my best friend, my rock, and a heck of a photographer!

Speaking of photography, the photos you see on these reviews are only a small portion of all the photos Patti takes during our cruises. If you would like to see the whole package, there is a link in my signature for our Cruise and Vacation albums. Feel free to check them out if you are so inclined.

So, until next time, may you have blue skies and calm seas!!!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 11

Thanks again Jeff and Patti for another stellar review. I was excited about Celebration before but now seeing all of these great pictures has really ramped up the anticipation. I so look forward to meeting you both in January! 🍻🥰

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Thank you and Patti, both for this stupendous review! Always love “sailing” along with you through reviews. Can’t wait for “The Tribe” cruise to meet y’all and get into some shenanigans. 

It's going to be epic for sure! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 8

Jeff, great photos and review. I will say it again that Carnival needs to pay you and Patti to cruise and do reviews. Thanks for your labor of love in doing these reviews. Looking forward to your next great adventure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you again, you and Patti between the two of you cover everything and I mean everything about a ship. Even though I have Celebration booked it wasn't my first choice when I booked. I was going to wait for Jubilee but circumstances changed.

After this review I find myself actually excited now and honestly can't wait! This way if I love it I can book Jubilee also, win/win YAY.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dmet0225 said:

Pulled out the Celebration deck plans and re-read your review so that I could follow along for my upcoming cruise.  Thanks again for the very detailed review.

Your very welcome! Enjoy your cruise on the Celebration. We're looking forward to going back in January. 😀

On 6/2/2023 at 3:08 PM, LatinaInTexas said:

Thank you again, you and Patti between the two of you cover everything and I mean everything about a ship. Even though I have Celebration booked it wasn't my first choice when I booked. I was going to wait for Jubilee but circumstances changed.

After this review I find myself actually excited now and honestly can't wait! This way if I love it I can book Jubilee also, win/win YAY.

That's a great plan! 😁

2 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

At this point, the Tribe Cruise is the next thing I've got booked... I can't wait to be back on board the Celebration, and with a bunch of Cruise Critic members to boot!...

It's going to be a blast! Looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the gang on board! 😀

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 5

On 5/20/2023 at 2:08 PM, Jamman54 said:

In no time at all we were off the ship and heading to baggage claim. Patti took these shots of Terminal “F” as we walked by…..

Does the port in Miami have a ramp for debarkation like Port Canaveral does for Mardi Gras or do you have to use escalators?  That certainly makes things go much smoother in PC, especially for self-assit.

11 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

Does the port in Miami have a ramp for debarkation like Port Canaveral does for Mardi Gras or do you have to use escalators?  That certainly makes things go much smoother in PC, especially for self-assit.

Escalators. Sorry. ☹️