Our LEGENDary B2B to Bermuda & New England / Canada (w/pics) - 8/28/22.

Jamman54

Ahoy, Cruise Critic family! My wife Patti and I just returned from B2B cruises aboard the Carnival Legend. When we heard that the Carnival Legend was replacing the Carnival Pride, a ship that we love, in Baltimore, we knew that we wanted to check her out. We had been on the Legend three times before, but the last time was in 2006, so we wanted to see how the old girl has aged.  We also saw an opportunity for a somewhat unique B2B. The first cruise would be a 6 day cruise to Bermuda, followed by an 8 day cruise to Boston, Portland, Saint John, and Halifax.

As usual, our reviews start and end at home and cover everything in between. Our format will remain the same as our past reviews with a day by day account. As always, there will be many, many pictures with plenty of explanations and details. For those that are wondering, our go to camera is our new Canon PowerShot XS740 HS, which Patti will be using for the first time, and our water camera is the Fuji FinePix XP60.

So, let’s get this party started! We strive to make you feel that you are cruising right along with us, so grab yourself a DOD, and hop on board with us and join the fun!

Now, as you probably have read, cruising to Bermuda and Canada can be a pain in the butt because of the extra hoops you need to jump through. Here is the email we received in regards to Bermuda…..

IMG_4050-X2.jpg

IMG_4051-X5.jpg

Bermuda also charges you $40 per person for the privilege of stepping foot on their soil. I guess we can’t complain since it was $75 per person last year!

Here is the email we received in regards to Canada. At least they aren’t charging us any extra!

IMG_5376-X2.jpg

IMG_5377-X2.jpg

So, about thirty days before the cruise, we applied for the Bermuda Travel Authorization, and ten days before we sailed the Authorizations arrived…..

IMG_4053-X2.jpg

A day later we received this email from Carnival about the internet packages we had purchased for both cruises. It doesn’t look good for having the internet these cruises……

IMG_4052-X2.jpg

Well, let me give you the end game right now. As promised, the first day of each cruise, our account was credited for the internet packages that we purchased pre cruise. On both cruises I purchased the value package for the first day only. Our account was never charged, and our internet remained on the entire cruise. That meant we had free internet for all fourteen days, and except for a few short spurts, the internet worked perfectly fine!

To be continued…….

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Pre-cruise – 8/26/22  -  Testing day and Baltimore bound!

Normally when we cruise out of Baltimore, we drive down the day we sail since it’s only a three hour drive to the port of Baltimore from our home in New Jersey. Since we had the time, Patti suggested that we go down a couple days early and spend some time at the Inner Harbor. Great idea! We had spent the previous couple of days packing so we are about ready to go. However, there is one more thing we need to do before we leave, and that is to get tested.

They recently opened a new Urgent Care just a few blocks from our house, so we figured we would give them a try. About three weeks prior I made appointments for us right when they opened at 8 am……

IMG_4059-X2.jpg

We were very pleased on how they handled our paperwork and testing. So much so, that if we have any medical needs in the future, we will use them. By 8:30 am we were walking out of there with our printed “NEGATIVE” results…….

IMG_4060-X2.jpg

We stopped at our favorite diner for breakfast before heading home to load up the car. When we were ready to go at 11 am, Ryan took our obligatory departure picture…..

IMG_4062-X2.jpg

We were soon heading down the New Jersey Turnpike…..

IMG_4065-X2.jpg

Crossing the Delaware Memorial Bridge into Delaware…..

IMG_4067-X2.jpg

IMG_4070-X2.jpg

IMG_4072-X2.jpg

The sign says this way to Baltimore…..

IMG_4075-X2.jpg

It’s funny, but it only takes about 20 minutes to drive through this part of Delaware and into Maryland. We stopped at Chesapeake House for a pit stop and gas…..

IMG_4082-X2.jpg

A short time later we are approaching the Fort McHenry Tunnel…..

IMG_4095-X2.jpg

Coming out of the tunnel you immediately pass the Cruise Maryland Terminal. We will be back here Sunday morning to board the Carnival Legend!

IMG_4102-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 17

Shortly after 2 pm, we have arrived at the Best Western Plus in Arundel Mills, Maryland. We have stayed here prior to cruises several times and know the area…..

IMG_4134-X2.jpg

IMG_4135-X2.jpg

IMG_4133-X2.jpg

IMG_4136-X2.jpg

The Stained Glass Pub is just across the parking lot…..

IMG_4132-X2.jpg

We were able to check in right away and were given room 315…..

IMG_4115-X2.jpg

IMG_4114-X2.jpg

IMG_4112-X2.jpg

IMG_4113-X2.jpg

IMG_4109-X2.jpg

IMG_4110-X2.jpg

To be continued…….

• Like 13

Here is a quick tour of the hotel. Vending and ice machines were located on every floor…..

IMG_4117-X2.jpg

This is the breakfast area. Best Western supplies a free hot and cold breakfast every morning that is pretty good…..

IMG_4120-X2.jpg

IMG_4121-X2.jpg

IMG_4122-X2.jpg

IMG_4131-X2.jpg

Here are a couple of lobby views…..

IMG_4123-X2.jpg

IMG_4124-X2.jpg

They have a nice indoor pool…..

IMG_4125-X2.jpg

IMG_4130-X2.jpg

This is the gym and dry sauna…..

IMG_4126-X2.jpg

IMG_4127-X2.jpg

IMG_4128-X2.jpg

IMG_4129-X2.jpg

Around 3:30 pm we went over to the Arundel Mills Mall. I hung out at Buffalo Wild Wings while Patti walked around the mall. We decided to have dinner there. We shared the pretzel bites appetizer. I had the BBQ chicken pizza, and Patti had an order of boneless wings. We were back to the hotel for the night by 7 pm.

Coming up next:  Baltimore’s Inner Harbor.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

First to the party! Thanks for following along! :classic_biggrin:

She's my new Baltimore ship.  I'll be sailing on her for the first time in March.  I respect your insights and opinions and look forward to gleaning knowledge as well as just plain ole enjoyment from cruising along with you on this one.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SenatorsFan said:

I've been watching for your review, Jeff and  Patti's pictures, and will be happily following along. 😀 

Hey Heather! Glad to have you along again. It wouldn't be the same without you! Go Devils!!! :classic_biggrin:

19 minutes ago, blarko said:

Yay!!!! I’ve been looking forward to this!!!

Glad to have you back once again! :classic_cool:

Pre-cruise – 8/27/22  -  The Inner Harbor.

We were up at 6 am to a beautiful sunny day. The temps will reach the 90’s later today. Around 8 am we made our way downstairs to partake of the Best Western’s free breakfast, and it sure hit the spot!

A little after 9 am we left the hotel for our twenty minute drive over to the Inner Harbor. We got off I-95 onto I-395 which takes you right there….

IMG_4143-X2.jpg

On our way in we pass Oriole Park at Camden Yards…..

IMG_4147-X2.jpg

Here’s where we parked. We paid $28 for the day…..

IMG_4148-X2.jpg

From the parking garage it was a two block walk down to the water. The first thing we saw was the National Aquarium…..

IMG_4149-X2.jpg

IMG_4150-X2.jpg

IMG_4151-X2.jpg

IMG_4159-X2.jpg

This 9/11 Memorial is at Baltimore’s World Trade Center. You can visit the Top of the World Observation Deck on the 27th floor……

IMG_4157-X2.jpg

IMG_4158-X2.jpg

To be continued…..

• Like 7

Looking across the harbor to Federal Hill Park……

IMG_4205-X2.jpg

IMG_4201-X2.jpg

It was becoming brutally hot out, so it was at this point that I was in need of a Husband Day Care. Patti dropped me off at a nearby Hooters, and then continued on her picture tour. Here are some more random views as she made her way around the Inner Harbor…..

IMG_4165-X2.jpg

IMG_4167-X2.jpg

IMG_4168-X2.jpg

IMG_4169-X2.jpg

IMG_4170-X2.jpg

IMG_4171-X2.jpg

IMG_4172-X2.jpg

IMG_4173-X2.jpg

To be continued……

• Like 5

Patti passes the Tir Na Nog Irish Bar & Grill, Mason’s Lobster Rolls, and The Cheesecake Factory on her way to Hooters…..

IMG_4206-X2.jpg

IMG_4207-X2.jpg

IMG_4208-XL.jpg

Patti has arrived at Hooters…..

IMG_4213-X2.jpg

IMG_4210-X2.jpg

IMG_4211-X2.jpg

We decided to have lunch there. Patti had the boneless wings, and I had the buffalo shrimp. We shared and order of waffle fries and cheese.

Afterwards, we took a nice slow walk back to the car, and then made our way back to the hotel. We passed the M&T Bank Stadium, home of the Baltimore Ravens, on the way out of the Inner Harbor…..

IMG_4216-X2.jpg

IMG_4217-X2.jpg

We got back to the hotel a little after 3 pm and just relaxed until around 6 pm when we decided to go to dinner. We walked across the parking to the Stained Glass Pub. I had the seafood gumbo which was very good, and Patti had a turkey sandwich on a pretzel roll. Afterwards, we went back to the room to get ready for tomorrow.

Coming up next:  We board the Carnival Legend!

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, princess76021 said:

I'm glad I'm not late!!  Got my new favorite dod, an old fashion!  

I hope you and Patti don't mind me tagging along 😁😁

Hugs from texas!!

I've got my double Bacardi & Coke. Always happy to have you along for the ride! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1