Well, this is disconcerting…

HUNKY

2 minutes ago, skipsaur said:

There's a place to get wings on MSC? 😯 Wings are one of our favorite parts of cruising with NCL.

Are these included free or extra? I assume from your comment they're not typically available at the buffet?

I keep an eye out for them as well - and the only place I saw them was at the Sports Bar (extra cost - can't recall how much though).

Tom

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I keep an eye out for them as well - and the only place I saw them was at the Sports Bar (extra cost - can't recall how much though).

Tom

Thanks from a fellow wing-lover! That's too bad they're an extra cost. I'm glad they're available and I'll still happily try them but it's a little annoying being nickel and dimed.

1 hour ago, 4sallypat said:

How do MSC European ships fare with food safety since they will never get inspected by a US or state health dept ?

The EU has their ShipSan sanitation program, but it relies on each member nation enforcing it in their port cities, and there is no central reporting agency.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Also, @chengkp75, I was under the understanding temps were checked on serving lines to keep out of the growth zones.  I could be wrong, the four hours you mentioned I always understood to be  for room temperature.

No, the USPH uses temperature control when food is held/prepared in something where the temperature can be monitored/guaranteed, like a "hot box" warming cabinet, or a reach in refrigerator.  Once it goes out of temperature control, even if a hazardous food goes into the "hazard temperature zones", by discarding at the 4 hour mark, the potential for toxin growth is not great enough to present a hazard.  And, once a food has gone into "time control", even if the food is not placed on the buffet line until just before closing (say 5-10 minutes), it can never go back under temperature control (meaning it has to be discarded, and not put back into a refrigerator or warming box).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, skipsaur said:

Thanks from a fellow wing-lover! That's too bad they're an extra cost. I'm glad they're available and I'll still happily try them but it's a little annoying being nickel and dimed.

Heading out on the Carnival Celebration tomorrow, and their room service wings are not bad at all (a far cry from when they introduced them initially several years ago). They're a few bucks but, because of the cabin we're in, we get everything on room service at NC. You can bet there's an afternoon coming with a few wing orders and a couple of beers.  🙂

Tom

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, skipsaur said:

There's a place to get wings on MSC? 😯 Wings are one of our favorite parts of cruising with NCL.

Are these included free or extra? I assume from your comment they're not typically available at the buffet?

Apparently they used to be free but now there is a $5 charge. At least that’s what it was on Divina last year 

20 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Heading out on the Carnival Celebration tomorrow, and their room service wings are not bad at all (a far cry from when they introduced them initially several years ago). They're a few bucks but, because of the cabin we're in, we get everything on room service at NC. You can bet there's an afternoon coming with a few wing orders and a couple of beers.  🙂

Tom

Sounds like a great time, have a few for me and enjoy!!

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

Apparently they used to be free but now there is a $5 charge. At least that’s what it was on Divina last year 

Thanks for the info! That's not a bad price at all but I suppose I'm just cantankerous about $5 here, $10 there all day. I miss when cruising was more of an all-inclusive experience for the simplicity.

12 hours ago, gizfish said:

Norovirus has nothing to do with the things that resulted in such a record low score.  Flies, improper temps, even touching raw chicken and not washing won't cause or add to a noro outbreak.  I just don't get why you do not see the severity of this historical low almost unheard of score.  

Exactly. So no one got sick from the low score on Seaside. Because the score is a snapshot in time. Corrections began immediately and a reinspection the next day would probably be 100%. 

14 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Exactly. So no one got sick from the low score on Seaside. Because the score is a snapshot in time. Corrections began immediately and a reinspection the next day would probably be 100%. 

How do we really know that someone didn't get sick as a result of this? We really have no idea. Let's just say, if the staff kept everything to the standards which they should, at least foodborne illness would be far less likely.

Tom

12 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

How do we really know that someone didn't get sick as a result of this? We really have no idea. Let's just say, if the staff kept everything to the standards which they should, at least foodborne illness would be far less likely.

Tom

Because that's not accurate, sir. And if anyone became ill after/during that cruise how do you know that they were not infected in an elevator, from a railing, or any of a multitude of more likely possibilities. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Because that's not accurate, sir. And if anyone became ill after/during that cruise how do you know that they were not infected in an elevator, from a railing, or any of a multitude of more likely possibilities. 

Nevermind...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Corrections began immediately and a reinspection the next day would probably be 100%. 

If the "reinspection" was done by ship's supervisors, I'm sure it would be.  I can guarantee that given the initial inspection report, that a USPH inspection the next day would likely be passing, but nowhere near 100.

43 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If the "reinspection" was done by ship's supervisors, I'm sure it would be.  I can guarantee that given the initial inspection report, that a USPH inspection the next day would likely be passing, but nowhere near 100.

So what? Do you stop going to your favorite restaurant at home because they had a low score last month, but the reinspection is a 90? Mountain being made out of a mole whole.

19 minutes ago, 4sallypat said:

I'd be more worried about catching Norovirus than worry about food handling....

.. from Mayo Clinic website ..

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/norovirus/symptoms-causes/syc-20355296

“ Norovirus infection can cause severe vomiting and diarrhea that start suddenly. Noroviruses are highly contagious. They commonly spread through food or water that is contaminated during preparation or through contaminated surfaces. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 4sallypat said:

I'd be more worried about catching Norovirus than worry about food handling....

It's simply because of the USPH requirements that food borne illness is so rare on cruise ships. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

It's simply because of the USPH requirements that food borne illness is so rare on cruise ships. 

That's very good to know that your cruise food is safe in the US but how about Europe - are they as foodborne illness conscious as Americans ??

19 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

There are more pathogens that are spread by non washing hands.

https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/microbiolspec.IOL5-0007-2015

TABLE 1 Infectious pathogens and diseases of potential risk on cruise ships

Gastrointestinal infections

 Noroviral infections

 Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli

 Salmonella gastroenteritis

 Shigella species

 Vibrio species

 Clostridium perfringens

 Campylobacter jejuni

 Staphylococcus aureus enteritis

 Cyclospora species

 Cryptosporidium species

 Trichinella spiralis

 Hepatitis E

 Hepatitis A

Respiratory infections

 Influenza (A and B)

 Rubella

 Measles

 Legionella species

 Diphtheria

Skin infections

 Varicella

 Hot tub folliculitis

 Community-acquired methicillin-resistant S. aureus folliculitis

Infections that may be acquired at ports of call

 Malaria

 Meningitis

 Yellow fever

 Typhoid

Just do not know which ones are spread by non washing of hands ?

I specifically said touching raw chicken and not washing hands meaning in that order, which doesn't cause noro.  I was not referring to general not washing hands.

12 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Do you really think minimizing this again, historically low almost unheard of score is going to make it go away?  While the inspection happened at one point in time, a score this low is indicative of a much larger, long term problem.  And frankly you have no idea that no one got sick or a new inspection would merit 100%.  The inspector was not out to get Seaside.  There wasn't a conspiracy to give Seaside a low score.  It's not fearmongering to bring up this serious situation. 

Personally, if I were booked on the very next cruise, I would not cancel because obviously the ship's officers are going to take such an awful score seriously, immediately. But a score that low certainly merits mention and discussion here.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 4sallypat said:

That's very good to know that your cruise food is safe in the US but how about Europe - are they as foodborne illness conscious as Americans ??

As l said before,  the EU has the ShipSan program, which is very similar to the USPH VSP.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Any idea if the Seaside has opened up food options again in the Sports Bar? On our 4/27 sailing, we went there for wings, but they were not serving any food (bartender said they were too short on staff).

Tom

I know the wings are available.

22 hours ago, skipsaur said:

This is the current menu....

Screenshot_20230520-100428_Drive.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, gizfish said:

Do you really think minimizing this again, historically low almost unheard of score is going to make it go away?  While the inspection happened at one point in time, a score this low is indicative of a much larger, long term problem.  And frankly you have no idea that no one got sick or a new inspection would merit 100%.  The inspector was not out to get Seaside.  There wasn't a conspiracy to give Seaside a low score.  It's not fearmongering to bring up this serious situation. 

Personally, if I were booked on the very next cruise, I would not cancel because obviously the ship's officers are going to take such an awful score seriously, immediately. But a score that low certainly merits mention and discussion here.

So your weak theory is that they will clean it all up spic and span, and then let it all go to hell again? How ridiculous is that.