Well, this is disconcerting…

HUNKY

Just read that MSC Seaside failed their latest CDC inspection.

67 out of 100, the fourth lowest score in the past twenty years of all CDC inspections.  UGH!

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, HUNKY said:

67 out of 100, the fourth lowest score in the past twenty years of all CDC inspections.  UGH!

Eventually, corporate policies (management structure/style) and/or being too short staffed will catch up with you...

Agreed though... UGH !!!

What does a failure mean  (from a guest and crew standpoint), and I assume they'll be fast tracked for a follow-up?

Tom

52 minutes ago, HUNKY said:

This is quite concerning as it is a utter disaster for MSC.  They might not feel it is but if this gets publicized more it could be bad for them.  MSC needs to get on this and get more staff on this ship.  In reading the report, a lot seems to do with a lack of staff.  They need to self correct and get that grade up.  

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Eventually, corporate policies (management structure/style) and/or being too short staffed will catch up with you...

Agreed though... UGH !!!

What does a failure mean  (from a guest and crew standpoint), and I assume they'll be fast tracked for a follow-up?

Tom

Too long out of the US, too long between inspections. The Health and Safety Officer clearly did not have the staff prepared to return to US sailings and the scrutiny of the CDC. So much of this report was stuff you would expect to see in a poorly maintained hospitality/food service operation ashore; inexcusable on a cruise ship. It will be interesting to read the Corrective Report from Seaside when it’s posted on the CDC website.

2 hours ago, Elkins45 said:

My wife and I are scheduled to cruise on this ship in October. It’s her first MSC cruise. I suppose I’d better stock up on Imodium.

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2023/05/articles/disease/msc-seaside-flunks-usph-health-inspection-with-score-of-67/

We are scheduled to be on the ship on Sunday 😢.  I will not count on boarding the ship at the usual time.

If ships work like hotels, the Head Chef is responsible for every element of the kitchen.  Hopefully who ever s/he is on the Seaside doesn't represent the same lack of operational discipline on other MSC ships.  If other ships get a similar rating MSC will have a bunch of work ahead of them and PR damage to clean up (no pun intended).

I did laugh where it said "MSC didn't respond to the report."  That's not a shock to those of us who travel with them frequently and have to deal with their shambolic processes and half ass answers; if they answer at all. 

• Like 1

What will happen next?  We are supposed to sail on the Seaside this Sunday, May 7.  My guess is that there will be another inspection that day and we can count on a delayed embarkation. What are the chances of the cruise being canceled while there is some intense training and cleaning being done?

Seaside will continue to sail, a No Sail Request/Order would take a continuing issue that threatens health or safety of passengers or crew, e.g. last year when Margaritaville at Sea got delayed a day or so.

Most issues are addressed immediately.  There will be another unannounced inspection soon, in the meantime crew will be tired from a lot of extra preparation work.

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/desc/about_inspections.htm

• Thanks 1

Ships are subject to these inspections twice per year - only if they are stopping in US ports.  Seaside only  recently returned to Port Canaveral when Meraviglia left to New York.

They also surprisingly didn't file a corrective action report showing what they will do to prevent this in the future or argue the specific violation was unjust/incorrect. 

I will keep an eye out for other MSC ships making US port calls and their inspections. 

As someone who spent years reviewing field reports from field inspectors, I would be recommending that perhaps the (PHS officer?) inspector needs some training on how to report the observations made on the ship.

Many of the violations are reported several different ways (I'll get you, my Pretty, and your little dog, too" style of reporting) and could have appeared only once.

There is probably some phone lines buzzing between the headquarter reviewing office, the field office and MSC.

Seaside will continue sailing.

• Like 4

Why are there so many coffee machines hidden in lockers?

What an uncomfortable read 😞 

However, I believe the best time to get on a ship is after such an inspection.    She will be cleaned to within an inch of her life I would guess!!

• Like 2

The report is very interesting to read. Some of the issues are bad (melons and chicken being stored at unacceptably high temperatures - both immediately corrected, FYI), while others are kind of silly. (lack of a depth indicator for the pool? Come on!)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Yea, only a 'dimwit' would dive into a pool head first.

Well, if they weren't "dim" to begin with, one shallow dive might do the trick...

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

while others are kind of silly. (lack of a depth indicator for the pool? 

Hence my post about reporting in this inspection.

It can take a while to develop  the commonsense known as regulatory discretion.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Well, if they weren't "dim" to begin with, one shallow dive might do the trick...

Tom

For some reason this calls to mind something that apparently happened either on the Seaside or another MSC ship. The ship was designed for the American market but built in Europe, so the marker for the deep end had been painted something like "5 feet 12 inches." 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1