Mariner Medical Emergency

Onboard Mariner of The Seas 4 night to Labadee. We left PC yesterday and the Ship turned around this morning. Currently in Port Everglades for medical emergency. Waiting to hear update from Captain. Pretty sure Labadee is out of the question at this point. 

We just came out onto the beach just north of Port Everglades and saw Mariner and wondered what was going on. We knew there were no arrivals or departures schedules today at PE. There appears to be a Coast Guard ship heading that way now. IMG_5398.thumb.jpeg.89cf529b209d281ceef185576f2681b8.jpeg Praying for the person affected🙏

4 minutes ago, topnole said:

How can you say it is unacceptable when you agreed to the terms of something like this being acceptable.  This is part of cruising and your take on it is very inconsiderate as clearly this involves a life threatening situation.   Unfortunate? Yes.  Sucks for a lot of people?  Yes.  Unacceptable?  Sorry but you are flat out wrong on this.  

Because they are one of those entitled folk.     

Edited by Cruise5life
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I have no idea whether the number of medical emergencies are increasing, but -- assuming this is true -- I have a couple thoughts: 

- Ships are getting bigger.  More people = more opportunity for an accident or emergency.  

- Most cruisers are American, and the American population is growing older.  Could this play into more medical emergencies?  

I doubt it is happening more.  Just more reporting on it.  Medical emergencies  are nothing new and have been happening frequently for a long time.  

It is just random stuff that happens.  One trip a passenger died in labadee and I watched them doing CPR.   No change in itinerary because he passed right there.  If he had survived or it happened at sea and he survived we may have changed itinerary.  Another cruise I was on we had to change course and schedule.   Both 10+ years ago.  It just varies.  Always very sad, but nothing new.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, topnole said:

I doubt it is happening more.  Just more reporting on it.  Medical emergencies  are nothing new and have been happening frequently for a long time.  

It is just random stuff that happens.  One trip a passenger died in labadee and I watched them doing CPR.   No change in itinerary because he passed right there.  If he had survived or it happened at sea and he survived we may have changed itinerary.  Another cruise I was on we had to change course and schedule.   Both 10+ years ago.  It just varies.  Always very sad, but nothing new.  

I agree. 

We sailed Alaska last year, and missed a port due to turning around for a medivac.  We had our most important excursion booked at that port.   Were we disappointed?  Absolutely. Did we expect compensation?  Of course not, it wasn't RCI's fault.  We were thankful however, that the man with a burst appendix, who was picked up by the Canadian Coast Guard, survived and was doing well after surgery.  At sea, things can happen to affect the situation.  If someone can't go with the flow (so to speak), land vacations are recommended.    

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, TheBucketLister said:

Right, but nor is it the other 4250 passengers.

I am not going to attack your opinion. The medical emergency resulted in a change of venue.

If there was no medical emergency and the cruise line had to change venue, what would you think the compensation should be in all fairness?

You are still getting all of the amenities except the highly rated island is being substituted for one you could care less about.

What percentage of the cruise fare, regardless of the cruise contracts, would you feel adequate to compensate for this change? Try to think of how your cruise experience was reasonably damaged by this change of venue.

I have yet to be compensated for any change of venue on any ship I have sailed.

If change of venues get to be a common recurring thing on a higher percentage of cruises, cruisers will have to weigh the inconvenience against the cost and experience of cruising.

I am not sure how many cruises you have been on but the experienced members of this blog know there is nothing to do about it but not cruise or pick another cruise.

Regards,

1 minute ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I am not going to attack your opinion. The medical emergency resulted in a change of venue.

If there was no medical emergency and the cruise line had to change venue, what would you think the compensation should be in all fairness?

You are still getting all of the amenities except the highly rated island is being substituted for one you could care less about.

What percentage of the cruise fare, regardless of the cruise contracts, would you feel adequate to compensate for this change? Try to think of how your cruise experience was reasonably damaged by this change of venue.

I have yet to be compensated for any change of venue on any ship I have sailed.

If change of venues get to be a common recurring thing on a higher percentage of cruises, cruisers will have to weigh the inconvenience against the cost and experience of cruising.

I am not sure how many cruises you have been on but the experienced members of this blog know there is nothing to do about it but not cruise or pick another cruise.

Regards,

To answer your question, anything more than zero would be fair.  I am not implying that they should give some large amount back in a form of a refund like some here think I am suggesting. I would have be fine with a $25 per stateroom OBC, which costs RC next to nothing to give out.  The issue that I have is that they keep doing this stuff because they can.  Customer service and goodwill goes a long ways, and any gesture of it would be acceptable to me.

4 minutes ago, TheBucketLister said:

To answer your question, anything more than zero would be fair.  I am not implying that they should give some large amount back in a form of a refund like some here think I am suggesting. I would have be fine with a $25 per stateroom OBC, which costs RC next to nothing to give out.  The issue that I have is that they keep doing this stuff because they can.  Customer service and goodwill goes a long ways, and any gesture of it would be acceptable to me.

What about the other 3900 people on board.    That’s close to $100,000 now that’s more than next to nothing.   
you really need to just stop trying to justify your entitlement.    

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TheBucketLister said:

No, they keep doing this stuff because they HAVE to.   Whether it's medical emergency or weather, it's beyond RCI's control.  I think that's the difference. 

I will agree if there's something WITHIN RCI's control that forces an itinerary change, THEN passengers would be entitled to something. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TheBucketLister said:

Actually incorrect, just like your crew number.

1641 (approx) x $25 = $41,025

Then you figure that a majority of this will be spent onboard with food and drink where there is a huge margin, so thus it would be substantially lower.

Your focus on money is truly unpleasant. 

Teddie

• Like 1