Possible to book a cabin with two 15-year olds in next door to use with Princess?

Russ Lomas

We usually cruise with RCCL and have always been permitted to have our twin daughters in the cabin next door to us (RCCL will even officially let you book a balcony cabin across the hall from the kids in an inside cabin).  I was told by a Princess phone representative that this is not permitted with Princess cruise lines.  From what I read online, you have to book with one adult and one teenager in each cabin on paper.  I read that if the two children are at least 16, you can book the cabin next to the adult cabin for them.  Our twins will be 3 weeks short of their 16th birthday when we plan to cruise Princess for the 1st time (the week we have to cruise because it is their March Break week off school and our week off work).

Has anyone been able to do this before with Princess?  I know that once on board, the two individuals can always just flip cabins, but I was hoping to book the Princess Plus package for my wife and I but did not wish to do so for the 2 kids.  

To op/ author:

Princess Cruise-Passengers under the age of 21 years must travel in a stateroom with a Passenger 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. We are unable to accept group reservations for student or youth groups that do not conform to our minimum age requirements. Each passenger agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any passenger in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Passengers under their supervision.

I think you would have to book two cabins -one adult and one child in each cabin ( probably?? You can switch sleeping arrangements and cabins when you get on board) ,but for the packages I don’t think you can book any other way .If you want plus package you would have to do it for both people in the cabin -the one adult and one child and the child would get soda package and the adult would get alcohol package. So you would pay for all 4 of you because that’s how you book the cabin.How about just a standard package and then add what you want , i.e. wi fi,drinks as you go?? You ( all of you)would need to have lots of sea days and consume a large amount of soda & alcohol to make plus worth the package, in my opinion. Only you can figure that out.

Someone else chime in if different than this

• Like 1

I have 2 cabins for an upcoming Alaska cruise, with one parent, one kid in one room, and one parent, two kids in the other. I called Princess, and they were able to give me the Princess Premium just for the 2 adults and to split between the rooms, so that I only paid for 2 total. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Novicecruiser74 said:

I have 2 cabins for an upcoming Alaska cruise, with one parent, one kid in one room, and one parent, two kids in the other. I called Princess, and they were able to give me the Princess Premium just for the 2 adults and to split between the rooms, so that I only paid for 2 total. 

Did they give you the Princess Premier Fare or the Premier Drink Package?  Everything I've read indicates that in order to purchase Princess Plus/Premier fare, the first 2 passengers in each cabin have to get it.  It really doesn't make sense for them to penalize large families.  It is bad enough we have to book 2 cabins!  I hope they gave you the $90/pp/day fare that includes tips, wifi, etc.  

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

PLUS for your wife only? or for both of you?

Both of us.  Not worth it for the kids since they would drink only non-alcoholic drinks and only a couple of them each day (if like their past cruises).

4 hours ago, Novicecruiser74 said:

If that is the case, then we will consider it.  If they force us to take it for all 4 of us (including the kids), the answer will be a hard no.  

Just now, Russ Lomas said:

If that is the case, then we will consider it.  If they force us to take it for all 4 of us (including the kids), the answer will be a hard no.  

Yes I would call them. I actually contacted them to try and connect my two rooms for excursions (which you can’t really do) but the agent was quite helpful. She was trying to sell me on the package and I was already considering it, so I told her I would only do it if I could get for just me and my husband. On top of that, I had some refund for some reason, so it worked out great.  After I hung up with her, it was updated on my princess app rather quickly.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TN-Mountains said:

Did they give you the Princess Premier Fare or the Premier Drink Package?  Everything I've read indicates that in order to purchase Princess Plus/Premier fare, the first 2 passengers in each cabin have to get it.  It really doesn't make sense for them to penalize large families.  It is bad enough we have to book 2 cabins!  I hope they gave you the $90/pp/day fare that includes tips, wifi, etc.  

Yes it was the premium drink package. Felt it was worth it as I could hook my kids devices on the wifi and we would be using the speciality dining, plus we don’t take many family photos so I will make them do that as well! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Novicecruiser74 said:

That's good to hear. Otherwise, I'd say it'd be easy for Princess to get 4 drink packages versus 2.

1 minute ago, Novicecruiser74 said:

Yes it was the premium drink package. Felt it was worth it as I could hook my kids devices on the wifi and we would be using the speciality dining, plus we don’t take many family photos so I will make them do that as well! 

Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know, but given your screen name I'll say double-check what they gave you.  The premier drink package does NOT include tips & wifi.  The naming convention is confusing.  There is a premier drink package that just includes drinks.  Then there is Princess Premier which includes the premier drink package, tips, wifi, specialty dining, photos, etc.  In my experience, some of the folks you chat with on the phone know this and others do not.  As I said previously, I really hope they gave you and your spouse the Princess Pemier Fare and not just the drink package.  This bodes well for me and my future family cruises.  I'm also curious to hear if they'll include family pictures since your kids don't have the premier package.  I would definitely consider upgrading to the premier package for hubby and me if they would give us family photos with my kids!

• Like 2

Just in case confusion between packages here’s the information .

Plus Beverage Package

Our Plus Beverage Package includes the classics: sodas, specialty coffees and teas, cocktails, wine and beer up to $15 each. Even hot chocolate, water to go, smoothies and an unlimited juice bar. Whatever you want – with tips included!

What’s included in the Plus Beverage Package?

The Plus Beverage Package includes beer, spirits, wine by the glass and cocktails up to $15 USD / $22 AUD, all non-alcoholic beverages including bottled water (500ml only), fountain sodas, the new Juice Bar, plus fresh juices (if available), specialty coffees and teas, frappes at Coffee & Cones, milkshakes (if available) and Red Bull energy drinks. Bar service charges are included in this package. The package includes the additional benefit of a 25% discount on the following excluded items: all bottles of wine, one-liter bottles of water and bottled juices. The package has a daily limit on alcoholic beverages of 15 beverages over a 24-hour period (6 a.m. to 6 a.m.).

Premier Beverage Package

Our beverage package that’s the best of the best. It includes everything our Plus Beverage Package does (including that unlimited juice bar!) as well as drinks up to $20 each with a premium selection of spirits, cocktails and wine by the glass. If you’re a top shelf kind of person, this is your beverage package.

What’s included in the Premier Beverage Package?

The Premier Beverage Package includes a premium selection of beer, spirits, wine by the glass and cocktails $20 USD / $30 AUD and under, all non-alcoholic beverages including bottled water (500ml only), fountain sodas, the new Juice Bar, plus fresh juices (if available), specialty coffees and teas, frappes at Coffee & Cones, milkshakes (if available) and Red Bull energy drinks. Bar service charges are included in this package. The package includes the additional benefit of a 25% discount on the following excluded items: all bottles of wine, one-liter bottles of water and bottled juices. The package has a daily limit on alcoholic beverages of 15 beverages over a 24-hour period (6 a.m. to 6 a.m.).

Princess plus fare-

Princess® dining, accommodations and entertainment

MedallionClass® experience

Plus Beverage Package

• (drinks up to $15 each)

Wi-Fi (1 device per guest)

Crew appreciation

NEW Premium desserts (2 per day)

NEW Fitness classes (2 per cruise)

NEW Unlimited juice bar

Princess Premier fare-

PRINCESS PREMIER℠

• Princess® dining, accommodations and entertainment

Premier Beverage Package
  • (drinks up to $20 each)

Wi-Fi (up to 4 devices per guest)

Crew appreciation

2 specialty dining meals per guest

Photo package
  • (unlimited digital + 3 prints)

Princess Prizes

NEW Premium desserts (unlimited)

NEW Fitness classes (unlimited)

NEW Unlimited juice bar

NEW Medallion accessory

NEW Reserved theater seating
  • (for production shows only)
Edited by arizonaperson

41 minutes ago, TN-Mountains said:

Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know, but given your screen name I'll say double-check what they gave you.  The premier drink package does NOT include tips & wifi.  The naming convention is confusing.  There is a premier drink package that just includes drinks.  Then there is Princess Premier which includes the premier drink package, tips, wifi, specialty dining, photos, etc.  In my experience, some of the folks you chat with on the phone know this and others do not.  As I said previously, I really hope they gave you and your spouse the Princess Pemier Fare and not just the drink package.  This bodes well for me and my future family cruises.  I'm also curious to hear if they'll include family pictures since your kids don't have the premier package.  I would definitely consider upgrading to the premier package for hubby and me if they would give us family photos with my kids!

No I appreciate the clarification, as I wasn’t aware of the difference. I did get the Princess Premier though that includes wifi, tips, etc..I didn’t think about that they may only allow my spouse and I in the photos. I travel at the end of July and will let you know. I do also recall when I was researching the Plus/Premier package that someone else commented on this board that they would let you do it when you got on board for just the two of us, so that was my original plan but glad I called!

Here’s what Princess.com says about photo package with Premier fare.

What is included in the photo package?

The photo package includes all digital photos of all guests in a stateroom from their voyage, including 3rd and 4th guests. The package also includes three physical prints of up to 8x10 size per guest you can redeem on board at the Photo Gallery. Digital photos are available for download through the MedallionClass app or transferred to a USB device on board at the Photo Gallery before disembarkation. Physical prints and digital photos are not available after the cruise ends.

shared items-

What items in Princess Premier can be shared across all guests in the stateroom, even if 3rd and 4th guests don’t have Princess Premier?

The following items can be shared across all guests: Wi-Fi for 4 devices per Princess Premier guest, two specialty dining meals per Princess Premier guest, and the digital photo portion of the Photo Package. The meals shared with the 3rd and 4th guests will be counted towards the total four specialty dining meals included for the 1st and 2nd guests in Princess Premier. With the new Premier package that goes into effect 12/14/22, reserved theater seating and free shipping for Medallion® devices and accessories will also apply to all guests in the stateroom.

Edited by arizonaperson
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

We usually cruise with RCCL and have always been permitted to have our twin daughters in the cabin next door to us (RCCL will even officially let you book a balcony cabin across the hall from the kids in an inside cabin).  I was told by a Princess phone representative that this is not permitted with Princess cruise lines.  From what I read online, you have to book with one adult and one teenager in each cabin on paper.  I read that if the two children are at least 16, you can book the cabin next to the adult cabin for them.  Our twins will be 3 weeks short of their 16th birthday when we plan to cruise Princess for the 1st time (the week we have to cruise because it is their March Break week off school and our week off work).

Has anyone been able to do this before with Princess?  I know that once on board, the two individuals can always just flip cabins, but I was hoping to book the Princess Plus package for my wife and I but did not wish to do so for the 2 kids.  

Forget all the previous stuff above.  There is a simple solution available now that Princess allows purchase of the cruise fare packages upon embarkation.  Saves on trip insurance cost and you can use any OBC to off-set the cost. 

You are perfectly fine to book one parent and one child in each of two cabins.  Once you get on board, visit guest services and make the swap you desire (age is not a factor).  At the same time, add on the Plus or Premier Fare package for the same price as you would pay pre-cruise and there is no issue since now you and spouse are aligned in the same cabin.  If you so choose you can leave the teens with no package or there is a non-alcoholic drink package (not a cruise fare package) that you could consider adding on.  Subtract out the Crew Appreciation cost and see if the difference make sense.

I would also upgrade one parent's MedallionNet included in the Plus package from 1-device to 4-devices and no need to purchase separate MedallionNet packages for the teens.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Forget all the previous stuff above.  There is a simple solution available now that Princess allows purchase of the cruise fare packages upon embarkation.  Saves on trip insurance cost and you can use any OBC to off-set the cost. 

You are perfectly fine to book one parent and one child in each of two cabins.  Once you get on board, visit guest services and make the swap you desire (age is not a factor).  At the same time, add on the Plus or Premier Fare package for the same price as you would pay pre-cruise and there is no issue since now you and spouse are aligned in the same cabin.  If you so choose you can leave the teens with no package or there is a non-alcoholic drink package (not a cruise fare package) that you could consider adding on.  Subtract out the Crew Appreciation cost and see if the difference make sense.

I would also upgrade one parent's MedallionNet included in the Plus package from 1-device to 4-devices and no need to purchase separate MedallionNet packages for the teens.

Thanks for the input.  I go on vacation to disconnect from the world, so I have no use for the internet for the week.  The kids can use the adults' internet.  We just go on the last day of the cruise to check in for our flights home.

I know you can unofficially put the kids in a cabin next door to the parents once checking in.  Does Guest Services permit you to do this on Princess once you board officially (like they do on RCCL)?  Is the price of the Princess Plus the same as pre-cruise?  On RCCL, the package prices go way up when you board the ship.

10 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

Thanks for the input.  I go on vacation to disconnect from the world, so I have no use for the internet for the week.  The kids can use the adults' internet.  We just go on the last day of the cruise to check in for our flights home.

I know you can unofficially put the kids in a cabin next door to the parents once checking in.  Does Guest Services permit you to do this on Princess once you board officially (like they do on RCCL)?  Is the price of the Princess Plus the same as pre-cruise?  On RCCL, the package prices go way up when you board the ship.

Yes, GS will accommodate.  I mentioned this in my first post.

Yes, price is the same on board.  I mentioned that as well.  Princess announced this not too long ago. 

Your MedallionNet plan works because anyone you share credentials with can login and use it.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, GS will accommodate.  

As @Steelers36 says they will accommodate, we did it with our kids many times  when they were about the same age as OP mentions.  Additionally, you can ask to have your Medallion set up so it opens your cabin door and the kids door as well. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

To op/ author:

Princess Cruise-Passengers under the age of 21 years must travel in a stateroom with a Passenger 21 years or older who shall assume responsibility for their care during the cruise. For family groups booking multiple staterooms, the minimum age for each stateroom is 16 years of age, provided they are traveling with a parent or legal guardian. We are unable to accept group reservations for student or youth groups that do not conform to our minimum age requirements. Each passenger agrees and warrants that he/she will supervise any passenger in his/her care at all times to ensure all policies, along with all other rules of the Carrier and ship, are strictly adhered to by all Passengers under their supervision.

I think you would have to book two cabins -one adult and one child in each cabin ( probably?? You can switch sleeping arrangements and cabins when you get on board) ,but for the packages I don’t think you can book any other way .If you want plus package you would have to do it for both people in the cabin -the one adult and one child and the child would get soda package and the adult would get alcohol package. So you would pay for all 4 of you because that’s how you book the cabin.How about just a standard package and then add what you want , i.e. wi fi,drinks as you go?? You ( all of you)would need to have lots of sea days and consume a large amount of soda & alcohol to make plus worth the package, in my opinion. Only you can figure that out.

Someone else chime in if different than this

Your type is a bit big.  LOL.  DON

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I can see how this should work for 15 year old teenagers, but would this work for those of us with younger kids (10,11 & 12) without connecting rooms? 

4 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

Just in case confusion between packages here’s the information .

Plus Beverage Package

Our Plus Beverage Package includes the classics: sodas, specialty coffees and teas, cocktails, wine and beer up to $15 each. Even hot chocolate, water to go, smoothies and an unlimited juice bar. Whatever you want – with tips included!

What’s included in the Plus Beverage Package?

The Plus Beverage Package includes beer, spirits, wine by the glass and cocktails up to $15 USD / $22 AUD, all non-alcoholic beverages including bottled water (500ml only), fountain sodas, the new Juice Bar, plus fresh juices (if available), specialty coffees and teas, frappes at Coffee & Cones, milkshakes (if available) and Red Bull energy drinks. Bar service charges are included in this package. The package includes the additional benefit of a 25% discount on the following excluded items: all bottles of wine, one-liter bottles of water and bottled juices. The package has a daily limit on alcoholic beverages of 15 beverages over a 24-hour period (6 a.m. to 6 a.m.).

Premier Beverage Package

Our beverage package that’s the best of the best. It includes everything our Plus Beverage Package does (including that unlimited juice bar!) as well as drinks up to $20 each with a premium selection of spirits, cocktails and wine by the glass. If you’re a top shelf kind of person, this is your beverage package.

What’s included in the Premier Beverage Package?

The Premier Beverage Package includes a premium selection of beer, spirits, wine by the glass and cocktails $20 USD / $30 AUD and under, all non-alcoholic beverages including bottled water (500ml only), fountain sodas, the new Juice Bar, plus fresh juices (if available), specialty coffees and teas, frappes at Coffee & Cones, milkshakes (if available) and Red Bull energy drinks. Bar service charges are included in this package. The package includes the additional benefit of a 25% discount on the following excluded items: all bottles of wine, one-liter bottles of water and bottled juices. The package has a daily limit on alcoholic beverages of 15 beverages over a 24-hour period (6 a.m. to 6 a.m.).

Princess plus fare-

Princess® dining, accommodations and entertainment

Plus Beverage Package

• (drinks up to $15 each)

Wi-Fi (1 device per guest)

Crew appreciation

NEW Premium desserts (2 per day)

NEW Fitness classes (2 per cruise)

NEW Unlimited juice bar

Princess Premier fare-

PRINCESS PREMIER℠

• Princess® dining, accommodations and entertainment

Premier Beverage Package
  • (drinks up to $20 each)

Wi-Fi (up to 4 devices per guest)

Crew appreciation

2 specialty dining meals per guest

Photo package
  • (unlimited digital + 3 prints)

Princess Prizes

NEW Premium desserts (unlimited)

NEW Fitness classes (unlimited)

NEW Unlimited juice bar

NEW Medallion accessory

NEW Reserved theater seating
  • (for production shows only)

Note that when it says the drink package has tips included, it means tips just for the drinks. Tips for cabin staff and dining staff are not included with the drink packages.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TN-Mountains said:

I can see how this should work for 15 year old teenagers, but would this work for those of us with younger kids (10,11 & 12) without connecting rooms? 

Yes.  I have not seen this to be a problem.  Parents Medallion can be programmed to open both rooms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1