Best cruise line for Teenagers departing Brisbane

We are a few families wanting to take our grade 12 children on a cruise instead of schoolies. Only 1 will be 18. Wanting them to have as much fun as possible together. Are any of the 3 cruise lines departing Brisbane Nov/Dec better than the other?

7 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

For a group of teenagers, I would pick Quantum of the Seas.

Compared with the other Brisbane ships, she is far more action oriented.

I second that.

• Like 1

From days not that long ago, Carnival Australia (P&O, Carnival, Princess) added restrictions around schoolies to prevent a repeat of some problem cruises with underaged drinking. Prior to that, P&O used to promote schoolies cruises. I believe those restrictions have largely lifted, but they do still cap the number of under 18's across all cruises. The only concern there is that once the caps are full, you will no longer be able to book 17yo's. If other parents are thinking the same, those caps may also be close to full already.

P&O has the best teen programs, but I sense your kids will probably just want to hang out together. Their teen club is still a great amenity.

I would agree that Quantum also has more of a wow.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Not sure if your group is up to speed already, but anyone over 18 currently needs to be double jabbed. This may change by the time schoolies comes around, but it is currently in place until at least the end of August.

I always thought that the point of Schoolies is to have a holiday WITHOUT the parents. As nice as a cruise IS, perhaps the kids want to experience Schoolies with their mates 

11 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

I always thought that the point of Schoolies is to have a holiday WITHOUT the parents. As nice as a cruise IS, perhaps the kids want to experience Schoolies with their mates 

My younger daughter was only 16 so I took her overseas to avoid Schoolies. Schoolies is not for underage children.  She wasn’t keen, but her school friends thought she was mad.  I let her pick the itinerary.

I was on Ovation (same ship as Quantum of the Seas pretty much) with my boys 13 and 16 just last month. (both are over 6 feet tall)

They loved the table tennis competition (had huge turnout rate of at least 40 teens between 13-17), teen dodgeball and teen fireball (both also with massive turnout). Great fun with many teenagers getting to know each other more, and a lot of exercise. It was all done in the SeaPlex area which is great coz it's fully indoors unlike most other cruise ships. So it was on up till very late at night regardless of the weather outside.

My boys also liked the Teen Lounge (the living room) where they just hund out, lying on the couch playing on their phones, and even the odd chess with other kids there. Not sure if they had other programs there tbh.

Did the usual activities also like lots of swimming, rock climbing, bumper cars, ifly sky diving, watching couple of main shows etc. Quantum of the Seas has pop up escape rooms and laser tag which sounds fun also. (not on Ovation) So yeah, I think Quantum is definitely a good choice for active teens.

2 hours ago, buchhalm said:

I always thought the same until our December cruise on Ovation. Lots of groups of schoolies, but also their parents there in case needed. We sat near some groups at dinner and both teenagers and parents thought it was a great idea. I think they only met up for dinner, but support was always there. Wish I had thought of it 25 years ago when my son went to Bali!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kenolly said:

Thank you

I look into Quantum ASAP

I believe they can’t get a cabin without us parents

They are happy as long as they are all together having fun.

Correct, for all 3 options.

• Like 1

The fine print for the Carnival brands (Carnival, P&O, Princess) is harder to spot than it used to be, but there is still a restriction in play for schoolies and the holiday season that follows.

For cruises operating in Australia: All guests under the age of 18 must travel with a guest age 18 or older. Age-restricted cruises: For cruises departing from an Australian port between November 1st and January 7th, any guest under 19 years of age on the day they board the cruise must travel in the same stateroom as a responsible adult 19 years or older. In addition, from January 8th to January 31st, there is a limit on the number of guests under 19 years of age who can travel unaccompanied. Once the limit is reached, a responsible adult 19 years or older must travel in the same stateroom. We can advise you at the time of booking whether the limit applies to your booking. Princess Cruises can waive the responsible adult Australia & New Zealand 9 requirement at its discretion. The responsible adult is accountable for guests under 19 years of age in their stateroom for the duration of the cruise, and the ‘Rights of the Captain’ will be applied to anyone who displays disruptive behaviour.

The difference prevents 18-year-old schoolies from becoming the "responsible adult" in the cabin, which could affect the 18yo in your group. I am not aware of Royal Caribbean's Quantum having similar restrictions.