HIA vs Early booking HIA help?

Shmoo here

Regarding the crew appreciation part.  On the regular HIA it's not included, but on the early booking HIA it is.  The details on the early booking HIA info says (bolding mine)

"Gratuities for other services, including bar, dining room, wine accounts and spa/salon services are not included." 

On other cruiselines (maybe HAL, also?) the crew appreciation typically cover room host and dining service team. Is this not true on HAL?

If not, how do I know how much the gratuity is for room host, vs dining servers?

Edited by Shmoo here

• Shmoo here changed the title to HIA vs Early booking HIA help?

The crew appreciation that is sometimes included in HIA is the $16 per day per person that is automatically added to your cabin account for each day of the cruise. Yes, this crew appreciation is split between all crew members, including those behind the scenes.

When the fine print mentions the other gratuities, they are referring to any other services outside of HIA that you might use - for example if you were to order an upgraded meal item in one of the dining rooms (like a lobster dinner), you would be charged an additional 18% on the upcharge.  Or if you went to a specialty dining restaurant outside of HIA, you would pay the fee for that dining option plus 18% service charge.  Does that make more sense?  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Laurie22 said:

The crew appreciation that is sometimes included in HIA is the $16 per day per person that is automatically added to your cabin account for each day of the cruise. Yes, this crew appreciation is split between all crew members, including those behind the scenes.

When the fine print mentions the other gratuities, they are referring to any other services outside of HIA that you might use - for example if you were to order an upgraded meal item in one of the dining rooms (like a lobster dinner), you would be charged an additional 18% on the upcharge.  Or if you went to a specialty dining restaurant outside of HIA, you would pay the fee for that dining option plus 18% service charge.  Does that make more sense?  

Yes, it does.  Thank you.  

Another question, how do I know with the "Early Booking" time ends?

Hmmm, I don't know. Unless it is posted on the website for each sale... I noticed that the "Anniversary Sale" has been extended to May 31, but I don't know about Early Booking.  I would call and ask.  

6 minutes ago, Laurie22 said:

Hmmm, I don't know. Unless it is posted on the website for each sale... I noticed that the "Anniversary Sale" has been extended to May 31, but I don't know about Early Booking.  I would call and ask.  

OK, thanks.

23 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Yes, it does.  Thank you.  

Another question, how do I know with the "Early Booking" time ends?

I believe it is 60 days - there was something in small print when I was looking at my cruise.  I didn’t see it as I was booking but a fellow CC member who toyed with waiting a few weeks saw the expiry date.

I believe it was 60 days from when the cruise was announced.  When I went to look at the cruise, I didn’t realize it had just come out until I saw the special.  The HIA included the premium internet and the Elite beverage package as well as the crew incentive and all of the other usual stuff.    So overall, it’s a nicer HIA.  Plus OBC

Just now, kazu said:

I believe it is 60 days - there was something in small print when I was looking at my cruise.  I didn’t see it as I was booking but a fellow CC member who toyed with waiting a few weeks saw the expiry date.

I believe it was 60 days from when the cruise was announced.  When I went to look at the cruise, I didn’t realize it had just come out until I saw the special.  The HIA included the premium internet and the Elite beverage package as well as the crew incentive and all of the other usual stuff.    So overall, it’s a nicer HIA.  Plus OBC

Where was that "small print"?

When we booked last Sept, for this Aug cruise, the HIA included everything. That sale was over around end of Oct, and replaced with lesser deals since. I was told it was the best sale HAL ever has, and it doesn't come around very often. (Included: wifi, Sig Beverages, 2 Shore Excursions, 2 Specialty restaurants, prepaid Crew Grat. 50% deposit, Sale price, OBC all per person). I continue the "watch"....lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Where was that "small print"?

I didn’t see it - I suspect there is a Terms and Conditions or something?

My friend found it, sorry.  

3 minutes ago, 3Shelaghs said:

When we booked last Sept, for this Aug cruise, the HIA included everything. That sale was over around end of Oct, and replaced with lesser deals since. I was told it was the best sale HAL ever has, and it doesn't come around very often. (Included: wifi, Sig Beverages, 2 Shore Excursions, 2 Specialty restaurants, prepaid Crew Grat. 50% deposit, Sale price, OBC all per person). I continue the "watch"....lol

That was an excellent sale and kept being extended.  I took advantage.  I have notice HAL starting to raise prices significantly in the past few weeks.  It seems they have fully implemented dynamic pricing. 

Just now, kazu said:

I didn’t see it - I suspect there is a Terms and Conditions or something?

My friend found it, sorry.  

That's OK.  Just trying to figure out how much time I have to make a reservation.  

11 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

That's OK.  Just trying to figure out how much time I have to make a reservation.  

Which sailing is it?  If you don’t mind to say - I don’t mind to take a peak and see if I can see it 

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Which sailing is it?  If you don’t mind to say - I don’t mind to take a peak and see if I can see it 

35 day voyage of the vikings July 2024.  Out of Boston.

Edited by Shmoo here

The date information is usually in the Terms and Conditions but as this screen shot shows this time they seem to be intentionally vague about when the promotion expires. If you wish to read them all you can find them here https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise.html?ICID=INTHWEB20221208ED89RFXFBS#fareType=fare_USD_anonymous:(N2*)

IMG_5311.png

20 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

35 day voyage of the vikings July 2024.  Out of Boston.

I looked and don’t see anything with the date on T & C or anywhere else.  The Mariner early booking bonus is on for 90 days - that much I was able to ascertain so I’m wondering if they match now?

I think your best bet is going to be either use the chat function (that way you can get a screen shot) or call HAL and ask when it expires or your TA / PCC if you use one.  iSorry, was sure my friend found it - she might have gotten the info from her PCC - she wanted to wait until she was on board her next cruise to book but would have been past the expiry date so she proceeded.

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

I looked and don’t see anything with the date on T & C or anywhere else.  The Mariner early booking bonus is on for 90 days - that much I was able to ascertain so I’m wondering if they match now?

I think your best bet is going to be either use the chat function (that way you can get a screen shot) or call HAL and ask when it expires or your TA / PCC if you use one.  iSorry, was sure my friend found it - she might have gotten the info from her PCC - she wanted to wait until she was on board her next cruise to book but would have been past the expiry date so she proceeded.

That's fine.  I appreciate you trying.  After talking to my husband, I think we're going to book soon.  It's still available today, but the number of available rooms is quite small, from what I can see.  Hope that doesn't mean it'll end within the next 2 days.

17 hours ago, kazu said:

We got the early booking premium HIA with our Volendam cruise for August next year, we booked in February and my sister and BIL decided to join us last week and they also got the Premium HIA, HAL said it was available for 90 days after a cruise is released. It is a nicer HIA and it is offered at the same price as the standard HIA when the early promo ends.

I booked the Rotterdam TA for October 2024 yesterday just to be sure I locked in the HAI Early Booking bonus.  I just got back last Tuesday and didn't really want to put out a $600 deposit (plus Club Orange) but I was afraid to wait.

18 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

I just booked a July 2023 sailing a couple of weeks ago with the HIA, pre-paid crew gratuities, and $200+ in OBC at a very nice price. It's a 7-night sailing, so we only get one specialty restaurant (which we will use) and one excursion (which we won't use). Was I just lucky?

I generally book in short time – like 90 days out or less. Would I do better to book a farther out? I'm still learning the cruise pricing game. I always book a guarantee because I don't mind walking, and I generally don't have a strong preference for cabin location, so getting a prime pick of cabins isn't important to me.

I'm in Europe, but I have a US address and book through a US-based TA.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

We got the early booking premium HIA with our Volendam cruise for August next year, we booked in February and my sister and BIL decided to join us last week and they also got the Premium HIA, HAL said it was available for 90 days after a cruise is released. It is a nicer HIA and it is offered at the same price as the standard HIA when the early promo ends.

thanks for clarifying on the expiry 👍 

This thread made me go check our HAL Oosterdam cruise this September which we booked when it came out - so we got the "better" early bonus HIA (with crew grats) as well as additional OBC for Mariner early bonus for newly released cruises. We came in at about CAD$5300 and the same category (inside GTY) is now CAD$7400 (and without that additional OBC and crew grats).

Super happy we booked that one out of the gate, although any thoughts of trying for an upgrade have been greatly diminished - haha. 

2 hours ago, rodndonna said:

we got the "better" early bonus HIA (with crew grats) as well as additional OBC for Mariner early bonus for newly released cruises.

Just booked our cruise today and we did get the early booking HIA, but was told our particular cruise was not one of the "select cruises" that qualify for the Mariner Early Booking bonus.  

16 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Just booked our cruise today and we did get the early booking HIA, but was told our particular cruise was not one of the "select cruises" that qualify for the Mariner Early Booking bonus.  

As long as it is within 90 days of the launch - it should be an eligible booking. It's not automatic - I had to ask to have it added after booking.

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 4.30.05 PM.png

16 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

As long as it is within 90 days of the launch - it should be an eligible booking. It's not automatic - I had to ask to have it added after booking.

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 4.30.05 PM.png

That's what we did.  Our TA called back to HAL about a minute and a half after she hung up the call making the reservation and specifically asked about the Mariners OBC and they came back that our cruise didn't qualify.  I don't know when the 90 days started for our cruise so I can't refute the answer.