Norwegian Joy: Weight and Height requirements

Looking at booking a large group for a family cruise for the Norwegian Joy - All sorts of ages involved - Can anyone share the weight and height requirements/limits for those interested in enjoying the slides and the race carts? 

Thank you! 

47 minutes ago, smashedpumpkins said:

NCL is usually pretty strict on these height requirements correct? I have a child that is just barely too short when barefooted but tall enough with shoes on. Can he where water shoes by any chance?

Review that link I provided above. It should give you information on if shoes are allowed. NCL is strict on the limits. My husband was a pound over and they would not allow him to ride a slide. 

2 hours ago, smashedpumpkins said:

NCL is usually pretty strict on these height requirements correct? I have a child that is just barely too short when barefooted but tall enough with shoes on. Can he where water shoes by any chance?

Closed toed shoes are required on the go-carts, such as sneakers.  Flip flops are not allowed. Water shoes will only be allowed if they are fully closed toed.

So kids/teens that are under 130 lbs can only do the Aqua Racer? That's a bummer for my thrill seeker kid! 

Do they both require suits with no metal, or is that just for Ocean Loops?

20 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

My husband was a pound over and they would not allow him to ride a slide. 

"Jumped back in my lowrider
Comin' out feelin' about ten pounds lighter
" - Ice Cube

Free DSC removal to the 1st person who names the song. 😁

30 minutes ago, carohs said:

130 lb minimum to do a ride? That's crazy. I'm 5'6" and until COVID I only ever went over when I was pregnant. Why would they make a ride that excludes so many?

Because folks like the drop slides that only work if you are over a certain weight. I’m guessing more are excluded for being over weight limits.

2 hours ago, Monica887 said:

They're strict about limits, in my experience with my thrill seeking 9 year old. 

Just off the Joy last month, The drop down slide that goes over the side they are strict on everything. Nothing in your pockets, absolutely no jewelry, also no metal or plastic on your swimsuit, even the plastic things that wrap around the draw strings i was turned away for. 

22 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Review that link I provided above. It should give you information on if shoes are allowed. NCL is strict on the limits. My husband was a pound over and they would not allow him to ride a slide. 

Have him go to the gym, 😉 What was the weight limit? (1 lb over doesn't seem like much, actually)

Edited by DCGuy64

28 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Have him go to the gym, 😉 What was the weight limit? (1 lb over doesn't seem like much, actually)

Haha, eh he's well under the limit now. We've both shaved off a few pounds since that cruise. I think it was the September one. Anyway, it was Getaway where all the slides (I think) have a hefty 300 pound weight limit. What can I say? We're big ole cows. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Haha, eh he's well under the limit now. We've both shaved off a few pounds since that cruise. I think it was the September one. Anyway, it was Getaway where all the slides (I think) have a hefty 300 pound weight limit. What can I say? We're big ole cows. 

Well, that may be why there's a limit, just saying. No cows allowed! (obviously being sarcastic here). 👍

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, carohs said:

130 lb minimum to do a ride? That's crazy. I'm 5'6"

but funnily enough, min height is 48". Does anyone know a 48" person who weighs more than 130#? My kid was 48" and 55# at 6, and he was actually tall and heavy for his age. He is 5'3 now and 120#, and he is still under the limit????

He was able to enjoy the water slides on the Getaway in 2018, and he was about 60# then.

That is wild about the 130 lbs. We were on the Prima in December and I don't recall there being a minimum for the drop slides but I guess there was. My son is 6 feet tall and only now weighs 135 lbs. (Yes, skinny. One of those.) He was probably right at 130 lbs in December when he did the drop slides since he's grown a couple inches since then. They didn't weigh him. I guess when they see tall they assume you weigh the minimum. 

I was just grateful they didn't put me on the scales at the go karts or anywhere. Talk about humiliation. No one wants to be weighed in public!!!!

Edited by njsmom

If you don’t mind me piggybacking on the thread, I had a couple size questions about the Joy, as well. The little man is 4, but tall at over 42” and is around 41 lbs. now. I know the slides and go karts are out of the question, and he has grudgingly accepted this (DH is a car guy and LM, who is following in daddy’s footsteps, is pissed he can’t do go karts lol). My questions are: do the Galaxy Pavilion attractions require guests to be a certain size? And, the laser tag just says the person must be able to hold the equipment…anyone know how heavy/cumbersome it is? He really wants to try it. Thanks in advance for any info!

On 5/9/2023 at 2:21 PM, cruiseny4life said:

@Dorhead1230, here's my earlier post. Galaxy Pavilion has a 36" height requirement. Little man doesn't need to worry about that maximum weight. 🙂 

We didn't try out the laser tag when onboard, so can't answer that one. Sorry! 

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

@Dorhead1230, here's my earlier post. Galaxy Pavilion has a 36" height requirement. Little man doesn't need to worry about that maximum weight. 🙂 

We didn't try out the laser tag when onboard, so can't answer that one. Sorry! 

Thank you so much! I’m such a ditz…I’ve looked at that info on the NCL site before and forgot it says a height for the Galaxy Pavilion. Did you guys try anything in there when you went? I can’t remember from your review?

Edited by Dorhead1230

1 hour ago, Dorhead1230 said:

Thank you so much! I’m such a ditz…I’ve looked at that info on the NCL site before and forgot it says a height for the Galaxy Pavilion. Did you guys try anything in there when you went? I can’t remember from your review?

Unfortunately not. At that time both of us were over 300....now only I am. There were some cool looking games/rides/what are they? I think the F-1 Racer required a taller height than the rest. 

• Thanks 1