Grill’s Concierge Question

NE John

I’m reading on these posts how useless the My Voyage app is onboard and how stressed the Purser’s Office can be, so I’m wondering if the Grills Concierge desk can handle all the issues of the App and Purser’s desk. I don’t want to be spending my time onboard staring at a screen. 

This is my first time on PG coming up for a June TA. 

• Like 1

The Concierge on the QM2 was very nice. Her name Henrietta and was very response to all our needs.

We did give her enough time when we asked so she had time to accomplish the tasks.

She made calls to the Pursers Office without her waiting on line on the Second Floor 

• Like 1

We've found the QM2 PG/QG concierges to be good, and able to do anything we otherwise would have gone to the pursers desk for (when in rower class).  QV was a little more irregular, in our experience.  The desk was often unstaffed, so we typically pursued any queries through other means.  QE somewhere in between. 

Enjoy your TA, @NE John!

• Like 1

Just for clarification and having no experience of QM2 Grills, the Grills' concierges on both QE and QV have been for the most part, excellent at their jobs and there is no need to go down to the front desk for most things if the concierge is on duty. When I habitually compromised my room card, one concierge got her cardio work out when insisting on running down to get me a new one. The next time, I went down myself. 🙂

Concierge port days' hours are less than sea days.

I can only recall one who although her manner was delightful, wasn't as competent as her fellow concierges. I haven't seen her since.

• Like 1

I have always found the concierges pleasant, willing, and helpful, whichever ship. They can do whatever the Purser does, I think. Bu there is only one of them, so if three people happen to turn up at once, it might be quicker to go downstairs.

On our last cruise on QV in PG the concierge in Grills lounge was for the majority of the cruise somebody from Pursers desk taking it in turns. Don't know if there was a problem with concierge staff or just short staffed.

On one occasion on QM2, we popped in to the Concierge Lounge to ask for Planetarium tickets, but they were all gone. I said we would try earlier next time and left.

Two days later, the next showing, 2 tickets were delivered to our room.

The strange thing is that I hadn't even told them our names or room number.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, NE John said:

I’m reading on these posts how useless the My Voyage app is onboard and how stressed the Purser’s Office can be, so I’m wondering if the Grills Concierge desk can handle all the issues of the App and Purser’s desk. I don’t want to be spending my time onboard staring at a screen. 

NE John, you have paid a premium to 'cruise in style' , you don't need to be bothering with the  'My Voyage gadget app thing', put your i phone away, the concierge desk is your go to place.  Call me old fashioned but I prefer interacting  face to face with the wonderful crew members whenever I need anything, not only that I'm addressed by my name and nothing is too much trouble for them.    

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

On one occasion on QM2, we popped in to the Concierge Lounge to ask for Planetarium tickets, but they were all gone. I said we would try earlier next time and left.

Two days later, the next showing, 2 tickets were delivered to our room.

The strange thing is that I hadn't even told them our names or room number.

Well, I do remember as a teacher, the naughtiest pupils were the ones whose names i remembered. 🙂🙂🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2023 at 11:04 PM, NE John said:

My goal is not to have an App control my voyage and actually deal with humans. The only Apps I want to deal with are at meals. 

On 5/12/2023 at 9:06 AM, NE John said:

They handle everything.

• Thanks 1

We have almost always received excellent service from the Concierge on the QM2.  She or he has helped on countless things such as making dinner reservations, printing statements of room charges, printing attachments to emails, internet service problems, booking cars in ports, etc.  However on the QV we found the Concierge overworked, with many many PAX lining up for help with their problems.  It was hard to get the the front of the line.

• Thanks 1

When we were booked in Princess Grill Class, we had a very pleasant experiences with the Concierge.

She was pleasant and we always stopped by to say hello during the day also to see if there was anything special to pickup.

Also she did help solve a number of situations that we appreciated.

It is also quiet place to read and share a cup of tea and some sweets.

• 4 weeks later...

on a recent QE voyage it was my experience that the people at the tour desk are trained to sign you up and then completely ignore any requests for changes regardless of the situation ( i only asked at that location as i was down there for other purposes).  The concierge said he couldn't guarantee anything for my situation but he did come up with a very workable solution. 

So, yes, absolutely use the concierge.  And make that one of your first stops on the ship as they will absolutely get you signed up for all of the events that you may want to attend even if they have not been announced yet.    He kept trying to get a Commodore Club drinks tasting set up but they will only do that for 8-10 guests and at best only found 4. 

Yes! The Concierge Desk was very helpful during our TA. He insisted on personally signing in our phones for our daily WIFi WC credits we had and explained our charges, OBC, etc. The QM2 Concierge Lounge is not as soulless as I was expecting. Yes, there are no windows but the room is quiet and calm and I appreciated my visits there for a shot of espresso and a sweet. 

A+ experience. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Skyhigh said:

So, yes, absolutely use the concierge.  And make that one of your first stops on the ship as they will absolutely get you signed up for all of the events that you may want to attend even if they have not been announced yet.

Would that include a ship tour? Or would that still have to booked at the excursions desk?

That should include a potential ship tour.  I did not see one advertised on my recent voyage but some fellow non-grill guests mentioned that they finagled a tour of the bridge. Your concierge should make sure that you get in to whatever ends up being offered, and mentioning your interest in it to them will increase the likelihood that something does get offered.