Venezia to sail from Port Canaveral

tidecat

16 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

And they have retractable roofs over the pool.  I'm booked for Jan, '24 on Venezia and I guess I'm in the minority because I was super excited CCL was coming back to NY in the winter.  Then again, maybe because of my circumstances-I'm about 20 minutes to the port and I'd gladly give up expense, time and hassle of flying to a port.  I realize 1 1/2 days down and 1 1/2 days back will be cold, but I'd be inside anyway at home.  There's plenty to do, "free food" I don't have to cook or clean up after, etc.  If CCL had a spirit class ship here in NY it would be the answer to my prayers!!!

They had the Miracle there for a few years, and like the Splendor, Carnival had trouble filling the ship during the winter sailings.

2 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

I would agree that advanced bookings weren't meeting Carnival's expectations, hence the decision.  A lot of capacity has been injected into the NYC market -- a few weeks ago I was looking at a weeklong MSC itinerary that priced out ~$550 per cabin (no single supplement) with plenty of availability in the fall & winter.  

Maybe we'll see further movement.  With Frontier and Spirit building up operations in San Juan, there's tons of direct flights and low fares in the market right now.  Maybe now's the time to restore some Southern Caribbean itineraries?  Then Carnival could kill the 8-day itineraries to the ABC islands on the Celebration and come up with some cheap, fuel saving itinerary a la Mardi Gras.

there are 2 airlines I won't fly on. 😲

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, jerseyjjs said:

They had the Miracle there for a few years, and like the Splendor, Carnival had trouble filling the ship during the winter sailings.

I don't recall Miracle sailing Winter time from NYC. I did sail on Splendor out of NYC in the Winter.  Regarding possible slow advanced booking on Venezia. Florida  cruises have many passengers flying to the port and book trips and flights further in advance. NY/NJ cruises have a lot more folks driving to the pier. Meaning they can book alot closer to when they want to sail. I only sail out of NY and rarely ever book more than 5 months in advance.

9 hours ago, NYcruzzer said:

I don't recall Miracle sailing Winter time from NYC. I did sail on Splendor out of NYC in the Winter.  Regarding possible slow advanced booking on Venezia. Florida  cruises have many passengers flying to the port and book trips and flights further in advance. NY/NJ cruises have a lot more folks driving to the pier. Meaning they can book alot closer to when they want to sail. I only sail out of NY and rarely ever book more than 5 months in advance.

From April 2012 to March 2013, Carnival Miracle sailed year-round from New York City, New York to the Bahamas and the Caribbean.[7]

I realize that lots of NYC cruisers live closer to port, but why have RCL and NCL sailed year-round without pulling out their ships but Carnival has had it's difficulties?

• Like 1

Sailing out of NYC in the winter is a loser proposition despite who else does it.  Lived there and sailing from there ensure 2 days each way of really lousy weather.  This winter she will sail 2/3 full at max.  Much better idea to head south for winter.  The northeast wants warmth those months and to get away from the cold.  Taking half your vacation to get to the warmth is a non starter.  Smarter heads prevailed in beards town.

• Like 2

The more I think about this, the more I think further change is coming and that the seasonal shift of Venezia might mean additional seasonal shifts as well. I suppose Carnival will first try to sell all those available berths in the two big Florida ports during the winter of '24-'25 and see how the numbers look. If that proves to be too much capacity, I can see some additional 'creative seasonal repos' and 'unusual Journeys' taking up some of the slack.  The Journeys especially go off at a premium price suggesting that Carnival has room to grow that product offering.  I do hope that they also consider San Juan but time will tell.

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Sailing out of NYC in the winter is a loser proposition despite who else does it.  Lived there and sailing from there ensure 2 days each way of really lousy weather.  This winter she will sail 2/3 full at max.  Much better idea to head south for winter.  The northeast wants warmth those months and to get away from the cold.  Taking half your vacation to get to the warmth is a non starter.  Smarter heads prevailed in beards town.

On top of that there is a significant risk of bad weather shutting down airports. I live right by Port Canaveral but if I lived elsewhere and had to fly to a port I would definitely choose a southern port over a northern port in the winter.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

And they have retractable roofs over the pool.  I'm booked for Jan, '24 on Venezia and I guess I'm in the minority because I was super excited CCL was coming back to NY in the winter.  Then again, maybe because of my circumstances-I'm about 20 minutes to the port and I'd gladly give up expense, time and hassle of flying to a port.  I realize 1 1/2 days down and 1 1/2 days back will be cold, but I'd be inside anyway at home.  There's plenty to do, "free food" I don't have to cook or clean up after, etc.  If CCL had a spirit class ship here in NY it would be the answer to my prayers!!!

I did an NCL cruise last winter (2022) and it was fine.  Yes, you can't do the outdoor things, but one thing CCL excels at is the "things to do" department.  They could just plan more indoor activities, covered pools etc.  It can be done well.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

I realize that lots of NYC cruisers live closer to port, but why have RCL and NCL sailed year-round without pulling out their ships but Carnival has had it's difficulties?

RCI of course sails out of Bayonne as well as Celebrity.  The ease of getting to Bayonne as well as the cheaper parking could possibly be why it's not as complicated as embarking from Manhattan or Brooklyn.

But that would still leave the question as to why NCL has done better out of NYC than Carnival has.  It'll be interesting to see how the MSC Meraviglia does out of Brooklyn a year from now after the initial excitement goes away.

The logistics and cost of sailing out of New York is a bear. Its easier to supply the ships in Fl. Getting to the ship in New York can be a hassle if the weather is bad. Not to say that hurricanes in Fl. are much better. 

47 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

RCI of course sails out of Bayonne as well as Celebrity.  The ease of getting to Bayonne as well as the cheaper parking could possibly be why it's not as complicated as embarking from Manhattan or Brooklyn.

But that would still leave the question as to why NCL has done better out of NYC than Carnival has.  It'll be interesting to see how the MSC Meraviglia does out of Brooklyn a year from now after the initial excitement goes away.

Actually, as a NJ resident, taking the NJ Transit train directly to NYC Penn Station and then a 10 minute cab to Manhattan Cruise Terminal is much easier than driving the NJTP, driving across the backed up Bayonne bridge and waiting in line to pay $25/day for Cape Liberty terminal parking.  But, I still look forward to my RCL cruises too.  

3 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

Actually, as a NJ resident, taking the NJ Transit train directly to NYC Penn Station and then a 10 minute cab to Manhattan Cruise Terminal is much easier than driving the NJTP, driving across the backed up Bayonne bridge and waiting in line to pay $25/day for Cape Liberty terminal parking.  But, I still look forward to my RCL cruises too.  

It all depends on where you live as to the perspective you have.  We are in southern NJ and have a 7 day on the Meraviglia in July out of Brooklyn and a 10 day on the Venezia out of Manhattan next May.  Both times we have to drive and pay tolls and 45 per day for parking.  A car service RT would be substantially higher.

So for us, Bayonne is easier.

18 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

We have taken NJ Transit buses to Port Authority and then a cab from there.   It's worked out fine.   Last two times we parked.  it's expensive, but a bit more convenient.   For my summer cruise, which leaves on a Tuesday, I'm thinking about the bus or train again since there will be weekday traffic, and, with the new surge pricing for commuters going into effect, that's even more of an expense.

22 hours ago, TequilaJane said:

The logistics and cost of sailing out of New York is a bear. Its easier to supply the ships in Fl. Getting to the ship in New York can be a hassle if the weather is bad. Not to say that hurricanes in Fl. are much better. 

Hurricanes making landfall in florida is not common despite what everyone thinks. After Wilma in 2005 I think the next time we had a Florida landfall was 2017 and it barely clipped north Florida. They usually go south into the gulf or up the coast into the Carolinas. Now dodging them in the caribbean is a whole different story.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 7:44 AM, jsglow said:

The more I think about this, the more I think further change is coming and that the seasonal shift of Venezia might mean additional seasonal shifts as well. I suppose Carnival will first try to sell all those available berths in the two big Florida ports during the winter of '24-'25 and see how the numbers look. If that proves to be too much capacity, I can see some additional 'creative seasonal repos' and 'unusual Journeys' taking up some of the slack.  The Journeys especially go off at a premium price suggesting that Carnival has room to grow that product offering.  I do hope that they also consider San Juan but time will tell.

Also see that Miracle is doing cruises, from Galveston, beginning next year, in October.

On 5/18/2023 at 1:41 PM, wayne_trisha said:

Hurricanes making landfall in florida is not common despite what everyone thinks. After Wilma in 2005 I think the next time we had a Florida landfall was 2017 and it barely clipped north Florida. They usually go south into the gulf or up the coast into the Carolinas. Now dodging them in the caribbean is a whole different story.

I live in Ft Myers and gotten WHACKED (as in the worst in Florida’s history, which includes Andrew, Charlie and Michael, but I digress) this past September from IAN (many of trillions in loss and will be 5 years plus to recover, def not a clipping) and couple years ago from Wilma and before that from Charlie.  I can go on, but the point has been made.

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I live in Ft Myers and gotten WHACKED (as in the worst in Florida’s history, which includes Andrew, Charlie and Michael, but I digress) this past September from IAN (many of trillions in loss and will be 5 years plus to recover, def not a clipping) and couple years ago from Wilma and before that from Charlie.  I can go on, but the point has been made.

Your side of the state has certainly received the majority of storms and they have been very strong storms. 

• Like 1