Montreal to Quebec how much time after landing

recia

Thinking of a Quebec to FLL cruise in Oct 2023.  I will be flying from CVG through LGA to Montreal.  Flight would land at 10:30 AM. Looking at VIA rail to Quebec.

Rail from Central Station leaves at 12:45 PM, would I have enough time to get through Customs , and get to Central Station on time?

There is train from Dorval station, (looks like a shuttle would take me there) it leaves at 11:55 AM

Any help and/or advice is appreciated.

3 minutes ago, recia said:

Thinking of a Quebec to FLL cruise in Oct 2023.  I will be flying from CVG through LGA to Montreal.  Flight would land at 10:30 AM. Looking at VIA rail to Quebec.

Rail from Central Station leaves at 12:45 PM, would I have enough time to get through Customs , and get to Central Station on time?

You'd be going through immigration rather than customs, but it's physically possible although would be very, very tight (did I mention very?). You are realistically 45-50 minutes from the airport to Gare Central downtown. If you budgeted an hour from landing to getting in the taxi/uber, that has you arriving at the station with about 20 minutes to catch the train. 

If the flight is on time or early, the lines for immigration are small, you have no issue with immigration, and you can get into a cab or Uber quickly, without much traffic than you physically could pull it off. There are so many variables in that though and it's pretty razor tight. Also, you are connecting through LGA-- another bottleneck that could easily delay your arrival in Montreal. 

If you could buy a refundable VIA Rail ticket you could apply to the next train that day in case then I would say give it a go and see if you get lucky. Worst case scenario is you have lunch and a few cocktails upstairs at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth before the next train to Quebec. You could easily make the 4:40 train which is the next one so getting to Quebec that day isn't an issue. 

What time does the ship sail from Quebec city ?

Are you flying in a day early ?

YUL to Central station Montreal  about 1 hr   

train from Montreal central  to Quebec   city 3+ hr

Flight from YUL to YQB   about  1 hr

Fly  from CVG to YQB    you will have  1 connection someplace  but  you will be in Quebec city  if that is where the cruise starts  without having to  get the trains etc.

7 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Any reason you're not flying onto Quebec City instead of the added train trip?

CVG-YQB.

Depending on where they are based, getting to Quebec City via air can be very expensive, with terrible connections, versus a direct flight to Montreal.

26 minutes ago, recia said:

There is train from Dorval station, (looks like a shuttle would take me there) it leaves at 11:55 AM

Any help and/or advice is appreciated.

That's too optimistic a schedule for clearing C&I in Montreal, then getting the shuttle to Via Rail Dorval.  Is there not an Air Canada itinerary available CVG - YYZ - YQB that would fit?  The connection through Toronto is pretty quick and painless with no need to touch luggage or leave the secure zone.

Just now, recia said:

I am looking at flying into Quebec also. How far is airport from cruise port.

The ship overnights in Quebec the first night. and sails the next day.

Have you looked to see if transportation from YUL to the port is an option through the cruise line?

I'm doing a Boston to Quebec cruise on Holland, and have booked transport from the ship to YUL through Holland. It was $54 a person, which is much cheaper than basically any other option. Yes, I know it will be a slow bus, but it gets us where we need to be.

14 minutes ago, recia said:

I am looking at flying into Quebec also. How far is airport from cruise port.

The ship overnights in Quebec the first night. and sails the next day.

Well  do you  mean Quebec CITY    as Quebec  is  a Province

If the ship leaves from Quebec CITY  look at flights  to  YQB    rather  than YUL    it will be less hassle  in the long run

check flight options  at

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/search

54 minutes ago, Rubyfisch said:

Depending on where they are based, getting to Quebec City via air can be very expensive, with terrible connections, versus a direct flight to Montreal.

I've done LAX-YQB and it worked out great. Right now I'm watching the same route for December to go to the Christmas Market.

9 hours ago, recia said:

Flight would land at 10:30 AM. Looking at VIA rail to Quebec. Rail from Central Station leaves at 12:45 PM, would I have enough time to get through Customs, and get to Central Station on time? There is train from Dorval station, (looks like a shuttle would take me there) it leaves at 11:55 AM

It is the same train that departs from Dorval at 11:55 a.m. that also departs from Gare Centrale at 12:45 p.m. After the train departs Dorval, it is scheduled to arrive at Gare Centralé at 12:15 p.m., and then sit in the station for half an hour before it departs for Québec. Best plan is to board at Dorval, not at Gare Centrale. For connections from international flights, it is ordinarily one hour minimum connecting time. You would have nearly an hour and a half to make it through customs and immigration and to ride the free shuttle between the airport and the Dorval station, or worst case get a taxi for the 5-minute trip between the airport terminal and the railway station. It should be doable, at least if everything goes right. The train would then arrive at the Gare du Palais in Québec at 4:18 p.m.

Caution if using taxi to travel from the airport terminal to the railway station. There are two railway stations in Dorval, both called "Dorval." There is the station for commuter trains, known as Exo, located alongside the Canadian Pacific tracks. There is the station for intercity trains, known as Via Rail Canada, located alongside the Canadian national tracks. The Canadian Pacific tracks and Canadian National tracks parallel each other, a few feet apart, but are distinct, and while the two stations are close to each other, it is clumsy at best trying to walk between them. Be certain that your taxi driver brings you to the intercity Via Rail Canada station, and not to the commuter Exo station. If taking the free Via Rail Canada shuttle bus, the bus driver will bring you to the correct train station.

Alternatively, you could travel by Orléans Express motorcoach. The bus leaves the airport at 2:00 p.m., and arrives at the Gare du Palais in Québec at 6:15 p.m. (There's a bus two hours earlier, but it departs from downtown Montréal, and you would have to ride a transit bus--route 747--from the airport to the downtown Montréal bus terminal.)

Edited by GTJ

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

What is  the price difference  if you fly  CVG  to YUL   vs  CVG to YQB ?

Interestingly, the lowest fare on Via Rail Canada, from Dorval to Québec, is 42.00 CAD. From the Gare du Palais one can easily walk the several blocks to the port. If flying into Aéroport international Jean-Lesage de Québec, the uniform daytime taxi fare from the airport to the city centre is 41.40 CAD. In other words, the price for the train from Montréal to Québec is virtually the same price as the airport taxi fare entirely within Québec. If two people are traveling together, then there is some savings for ground transportation by flying to Québec instead of Montréal (compare two Via Rail Canada fares against one taxi fare).

21 minutes ago, GTJ said:

Interestingly, the lowest fare on Via Rail Canada, from Dorval to Québec, is 42.00 CAD.

Interesting  

another factor for the OP to consider trip between YUL & QC

FYI

I did not see any fare  that low  from Montreal to QC   on there date the OP was arriving  $42  is a lot less than the  $132  I saw for mid day trip

10 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I did not see any fare that low from Montreal to QC on there date the OP was arriving  $42 is a lot less than the  $132 I saw for mid day trip

I had looked at a random date in summer, without trying to ascertain the particular travel date. I have since searched and found a single itinerary from Québec to Fort Lauderdale in October 23, that being the Caribbean Princess (Princess Cruises), available for boarding on Thursday, October 19, 2023, and departing the next evening. As for Via Rail Canada fares on October 19, 2023, I do see the same 42.00 CAD fare available for coach service. The higher fare that you're quoting applies for business class service, a pleasant upgrade of course, but by no means necessary.

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 17-04-12 Select going trip - VIA Rail Canada.png

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GTJ said:

I had looked at a random date in summer, without trying to ascertain the particular travel date. I have since searched and found a single itinerary from Québec to Fort Lauderdale in October 23, that being the Caribbean Princess (Princess Cruises), available for boarding on Thursday, October 19, 2023, and departing the next evening. As for Via Rail Canada fares on October 19, 2023, I do see the same 42.00 CAD fare available for coach service. The higher fare that you're quoting applies for business class service, a pleasant upgrade of course, but by no means necessary.

Good  to know  

I had a different date  but the lower  seats were sold out

Hopefully the OP will find something   when she  get  things sorted out

Personally I would just fly to YQB  & not have to deal with all the  transfers  but that is me  😄🍷

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Personally I would just fly to YQB  & not have to deal with all the  transfers  but that is me

I don't see a huge difference between the two choices, at least with respect to comfort and convenience. A few hours on a comfortable train compared to a somewhat lesser amount of time on an uncomfortable aircraft and automobile. To me, it is an individualized choice where some have a preference for one, and others a preference for the alternative.

Cost could be a significant issue, however. Fares to and from Montréal can be reasonable, but oftentimes fares to and from Québec are much more expensive. More generally, big cities typically have more competitive airline fares compared to smaller cities. It could be cheaper to break an airline journey into two separate legs, one to Montréal, and a separate ticket from Montréal to Québec. Traveling by bus or railroad can be the same way: a through ticket from New York to Québec might be more expensive than separate tickets, New York to Montréal and Montréal to Québec (not to mention that a U.S. bus or railroad ticket agent might not even want to be bothered with selling a through ticket to Québec and refuse to sell one). Very fact specific, and one should investigate the various alternatives, including through tickets versus breaking the ticket in Montréal, and not making assumptions of one versus the other.

• 2 weeks later...

HELP....so many questions. Doing 2 New England cruises.  I think the first one is pretty much worked out.

Cruise 1:  FLL to Quebec.

Flight from YQB to YYZ to LAX with a 2 hour layover in Toronto.

Princess transfer from ship to airport.

Canada to Canada to US

Will I have to go through customs/immigration in Toronto? (I have Global Entry)

Will 2 hours be enough time?

Will I have to pick up my luggage and go through security again (all booked through Air Canada)?

Cruise 2:  Quebec to FLL

Flight from San Diego to Montreal (non stop)

2 days in Montreal

Now...trying to get from Montreal to Quebec

Option 1:  Train (VIA RAIL)

No baggage service/luggage needs to be loaded into passenger compartment/4 hours

Option 2:  Flight from Montreal to Quebec

Airport wait time/1 hour flight/

How to get from train station or airport to cruise terminal?  How far?

Option 3:  Scratch Montreal and fly directly LAX to Quebec.  There is no direct flight.  Same issues as Cruise 1....

Will I have to do immigration at first point of entry?  

How much time do I need between flights?

Will I need to pick up luggage?

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Now...trying to get from Montreal to Quebec

Option 1:  Train (VIA RAIL)

No baggage service/luggage needs to be loaded into passenger compartment/4 hours

Option 2:  Flight from Montreal to Quebec

Airport wait time/1 hour flight/

How to get from train station or airport to cruise terminal?  How far?

There is a free shuttle bus from the airport in Montréal to the Dorval train station. A quick ride, about 5 minutes away. Trains depart Dorval at 8:11 a.m. (weekdays only), 11:55 a.m., 3:55 p.m., and 5:44 p.m. These trains arrive Québec at 12:22 p.m. (weekdays only), 4:18 p.m., 8:26 p.m., and 9:56 p.m.

Travel on Via Rail Canada from Dorval to Québec, and alight at the Gare du Palais. From the station it is about one kilomentre to the Terminal de croisière, about 13 minutes walking. If you use a taxi, it will take about 3 minutes.

If you travel by air, then you will alight at the Aéroport international Jean-Lesage. From the airport it is about 18 kilometres to the Terminal de croisière, about 20 minutes by taxi.

• Thanks 1

I really need to look at a map.  I will be staying in Montreal City for a couple of nights.  Will need to either get back to the airport or train station.  There are several train depots.  Is there only one for VIA RAIL?

I was told by agent that they don’t have baggage service, but someone would help me get my heavy suitcase on the train car.  

Edited by cr8tiv1

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I really need to look at a map. I will be staying in Montreal City for a couple of nights. Will need to either get back to the airport or train station. There are several train depots. Is there only one for VIA RAIL?

That you will be staying Montréal does make a difference. There are multiple railway stations in and around Montréal. The two stations most important are Dorval and Montréal (Gare Centrale). The Dorval station is at the airport. The Montréal (Gare Centrale) station is in the city centre. Were you to have planned direct travel to Québec, using Montréal only as a transit point, then Dorval would have been the best station. Dorval would also be a good station is you are planning to stay at a hotel near the airport. But if you're staying in the city centre, then Montréal (Gare Centrale) would be the best station. And if you're staying in the suburbs of Montréal, then it is possible that yet another station could be more convenient. I should note that the vast majority of passenger railway stations in and around Montréal are used by Exo commuter trains. A much smaller number of stations are used by Via Rail Canada intercity trains.

I should also note the Gare d'autocars de Montréal, on the east side of the city centre, from where frequent motorcoach service is operated to Québec. Should the Via Rail Canada railway schedule not work out to be convenient, the Orléans Express motorcoach schedule might work out better. Orléans Express also has a stop at the airport and several stations in the suburbs; Orléans Express operates to the Gare du Palais in Québec.

Should you elect to fly from Montréal to Québec, the local public transportation agency, Société de transport de Montréal, operates a quick and convenient express bus service between the city centre and the airport. This service has a readily-memorable route number: no. 747.

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I was told by agent that they don’t have baggage service, but someone would help me get my heavy suitcase on the train car.

Trains on this route do not carry separate baggage cars, but unless you're carrying a huge amount of baggage, it should not ordinarily pose any issues. The carry-on policy is as follows.

Free allowance

1 personal item, max 17 x 6 x 13 in., 25 lbs., plus

1 large item, max 62 linear in., 50 lbs. or 2 small items, max 21.5 x 15.5 x 9 in., 25 lbs., plus

Pillow, blanket, clothing

Excess baggage: additional 40.00 CAD fee (except no additional fee for business class passengers)

1 large item, max 62 linear in., 50 lbs.

Although Via Rail Canada discontinued its red cap service several years ago, it does provide assistance with carry-on baggage on request.

Should the Via Rail Canada baggage policy pose an issue, then consider as well the baggage policy of Orléans Express:

Free allowance

1 personal item, carry-on, no explicit limitations on dimensions or weight, plus

2 checked baggage items, max 24 x 24 x 36 in., 50 lbs. each

(Heavier items will be accepted, but passengers must load those items themselves)

Excess baggage: additional 30.00 CAD + taxes per item

Up to 2 checked baggage items

Additional excess baggage may be sent by express, charges based on size and weight

Edited by GTJ
  • Thanks 1