What Would You Do?

Vertygo

My sister & her husband were on Nautica Tokyo to Singapore, visiting a temple on an Oceania excursion. My brother-in-law saw a guy in their group take a gold ball (larger than a golf ball) & place it in his bag. As they headed back to the bus he told the guy he should return what he’d taken. The thief responded “oh yeah?” & got on the bus.

They decided not to report the jerk to the tour guide & make a scene, so the ugly American got away with the theft. He was wearing an Oceania ball cap with gold lettering, so likely cruises often.

What would you have done in their situation?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vertygo said:

What would you have done in their situation?

From the distance and safety of an internet discussion forum (and with a work background in the criminal justice system), I'd like to  say that I would have reported him to the guide and put up with the scene and inconvenience to all on the excursion that would have inevitably ensued.

In reality, I'd probably have done nothing as it would have been likely to interfere with my afternoon tea (or whatever the next O meal was going to be). And then I'd have felt ashamed with myself, not least whenever I saw this arsewipe on the ship.

• Like 2

That is a fascinating question.  I would have reported it to the tour guide and let them handle it.  That way, the monkey is off my back.  However, I can imagine being shocked at the audacity of the thief and his reaction to being caught, which might cause me to be unsure how to act.    

• Like 2

I would have loudly told the guide and everyone else on the tour, and a security guard if one was around.

I bought an alabaster carving in Luxor at an alabaster workshop.  I was pulled aside and questioned at the airport in Cairo when they saw the sculpture in the X-ray machine to make sure it was not an antiquity as some are priceless.

I hope he is caught and arrested upon attempting to fly home.  Stealing is one thing and wrong but stealing something sacred to another culture in their country deserves major consequences.

What an ass!!!

• Like 9

Thanks all for your replies. My sister later told me they were so shocked that someone would do this they didn’t report the thief after their confrontation. I hope I would have told him to return it or I would report him, then follow-up as needed.

Love the thought of him getting picked up at the airport as “more ports” mentioned.