Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour (need help!!!!!!!!)

LoveCruise71

I am going to Alaska and I will like to take this tour.  If you did in the past, would you recommended it?  What time???  7:45am or 12pm???  Please help, I dont know which time to pick.

I will be in Ovation of the Sea, planning to book directly with Royal Carribean, how far do you have to walk from the cruise ship? I know there are in Beth 4, what Beth does Royal Carribean park?   Thanks in advance!

Here is the port schedule for KTN. Cruise Ship Schedule Calendar Combined Ports (claalaska.com)

Then Ktn map. downtown-ketchikan-map | Cruise Stories (mycruisestories.com)

We like early because you can do more things after crab tour. We would do 0745. Make sure you know how to use the sports setting for fast motion on your camera for when they feed the eagles. Practice with bird shots at home. Walking up Creek St is a nice walk. sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR

We just did this tour last week.  Absolutely loved it.  

I would recommend arriving early so you can chose where you want to sit.  We sat 2nd row in front of the fish tanks.  There is also seating upstairs.  They do offer large/x-large warm/raincoats.  I did use one as a lap coat.

I liked @SightCRR suggestion of knowing how to use the sports setting on your phone.  The crew suggested it, but I couldn't figure it out.

There was king Crab offered in the galley - $42 for 1/4 lb, and $72 for 1/2 lb.  My spouse and I share the smaller size.  It was so good.  It was a little awkward eating it out of a clamshell food container while sitting in our seats, but oh, so good.  I you are interested in that, I would head to the galley when they announce that it is available.

You will love this tour! 

12 hours ago, SightCRR said:

Here is the port schedule for KTN. Cruise Ship Schedule Calendar Combined Ports (claalaska.com)

Then Ktn map. downtown-ketchikan-map | Cruise Stories (mycruisestories.com)

We like early because you can do more things after crab tour. We would do 0745. Make sure you know how to use the sports setting for fast motion on your camera for when they feed the eagles. Practice with bird shots at home. Walking up Creek St is a nice walk. sightcrr

Hey sightcrr, been practicin with camera usin the sports scene. Went out & shot some cars on Sunday, an it worked!!! Gonna shot some squirrels & birds soon.

• Like 1

Agree completely with all the above. We just did this tour (again) this past September. Our RCI Serenade was docked right across (a few feet) from where the entrance was to board. Line up early and agree middle 2nd row was the best. Our two grandkids (6 & 10) were the only kids onboard and the Captain invited them up to the wheelhouse for pictures with him. The crew onboard gave so much special attention to the boys and they loved this tour.

• Like 1

Booked over the phone.  👍😊

A little less $$ than the cruise ship’s excursion.   A VIP ticket for additional $$ is also offered directly, but not on the cruise ship excursion. So with that it totals a little more.

23 minutes ago, roupa said:

Booked over the phone.  👍😊

A little less $$ than the cruise ship’s excursion.   A VIP ticket for additional $$ is also offered directly, but not on the cruise ship excursion. So with that it totals a little more.

What is the "VIP" have done their tour twice and never heard of this.

It includes a specific seat in a covered area, some food ( crab, I’m pretty sure), a beverage, some sort of souvenir.

You are also met at the cruise ship pier.

A previous post mentioned $$ for some crab purchase while on a cruise ship excursion.

They have the cruise schedule so they know arrival times.

You “have done their tour twice,” so I feel even more confident it’ll be good!!

It includes a specific seat in a covered area, some food ( crab, I’m pretty sure), a beverage, some sort of souvenir.

A previous post mentioned $$ for some crab purchase while on a cruise ship excursion.

1 hour ago, roupa said:

We're usually first in line and have always had our choice of seats (2nd row middle) and dock right across from the entry no need for someone to meet us. This whole VIP thing including crab is new and wasn't offered on our most recent tour which was this past September.

Of course I believe you could have purchased something but wasn't necessary for us and our extended family.

The only refreshments offered (comp) was hot chocolate and at the end a bag of "goldfish crackers" 😄

You're going to have a great time...enjoy !!!

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey Ashland, got an email from alueutian ballard company, an they said the tours are almost sold out for Sept. Any suggestions?

It can and does sell out so book it either with your ship or directly with them where you can get the best price. Best of luck.