Platinum and Diamond VIFP Party on 5+ day sailings featuring complimentary drinks

TacAlert

On our upcoming cruise, we will be platinum.  As gold level members, we enjoyed the free drink we got on the last day, we are not big drinkers.  In lieu of the party, can we just get the drink instead on the last day if anyone knows.

Thank you.

Since we are talking about the platinum party...sorry I don't mean to high jack your thread.  I'm guessing non platinum/diamond spouse can't go to the party. It'll be 4 years since we've cruised and wondered if anything has changed. 

4 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Since we are talking about the platinum party...sorry I don't mean to high jack your thread.  I'm guessing non platinum/diamond spouse can't go to the party. It'll be 4 years since we've cruised and wondered if anything has changed. 

The spouse of a Plat/Diamond can go.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Each Platinum member is allowed ONE guest.  So a Platinum member could take her non-Plat husband........ or the pool boy; her call. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

No. You get the party and a drink during sea day brunch as Platinum. The drink on the last day is only offered to Gold.

Which I always thought was stupid.  I know "why" they do it (putting limitations on it makes it more likely to not be used and saves them $), but why not just give you the coupon and let you get it when you want.

Also, I always thought the Gold was better, at least you didn't HAVE to be in the dining room for brunch to use it.  I don't hardly drink let alone at 10am when I am having brunch LOL!  Would rather be able to enjoy it in the evening the last day.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, wemjam said:

Which I always thought was stupid.  I know "why" they do it (putting limitations on it makes it more likely to not be used and saves them $), but why not just give you the coupon and let you get it when you want.

Also, I always thought the Gold was better, at least you didn't HAVE to be in the dining room for brunch to use it.  I don't hardly drink let alone at 10am when I am having brunch LOL!  Would rather be able to enjoy it in the evening the last day.

My understanding is on the Excel class ships that is what they do, they give you a glass of wine during the party and put another drink on your account.

So do they always have these? What if half the ship is platinum?  We are leaving in a few days on our first platinum cruise and haven't gotten anything about our platinum benefits.  I want to be sure and go to the party if they offer one.  I am all about FREE DRANKS!!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

So do they always have these? What if half the ship is platinum?  We are leaving in a few days on our first platinum cruise and haven't gotten anything about our platinum benefits.  I want to be sure and go to the party if they offer one.  I am all about FREE DRANKS!!!

Yes, they will always have it. They generally hold them in the main lounge so plenty of room. They usually do a quick video of Carnival's history, the CD gives a brief speech, often some entertainment like the onboard band comes on for a few songs, the captain used to come but not sure if they've brought that back yet (during COVID the captain remained in a bubble). You will receive an invitation onboard to the party. Have fun!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mz-s said:

My understanding is on the Excel class ships that is what they do, they give you a glass of wine during the party and put another drink on your account.

Wow, that's a bummer.  We'll be on Mardi Gras next week. 

Just sailed Freedom a few months ago and they had a great Platinum / Diamond party.  Beer, wine, cocktails and anything you wanted to order from the bar for an hour!  It was like the old days without the finger foods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

If you log into your account, go to Benefits.  ALL your benefits will be listed there.  It will also indicate where to "get" them if need be.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eli_6 said:

DH and I attended Magic's P&D party in January and there were so many P&D's they had to have two parties in the theatre.  I'm flashing tip money and hardly got any attention. This last party on Sunshine last week, I had more drinks than you could shake a stick at.  I like the FREE DRANKS too😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wemjam said:

That's what I am getting at.  We don't want the party and we don't always go to the brunch.  We just like getting a free drink on the last night at the shows.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, TacAlert said:

That's what I am getting at.  We don't want the party and we don't always go to the brunch.  We just like getting a free drink on the last night at the shows.

There's an old song that Mick Jagger sings you might like.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, wemjam said:

The reason Gold gets the free drink on the last night is because originally they were invited to the P&D party. It was called the past guest party at the time. The parties got too large, hard to find a seat sometimes, too many people fighting for too few drinks. When that changed, I guess about 8 or 9 years ago at this point, they gave Gold a free drink on the last night to make up for it. P&D kept the party.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mz-s said:

No. You get the party and a drink during sea day brunch as Platinum. The drink on the last day is only offered to Gold.

We are platinum and our invitation was for 4pm on the last day of the cruise and it said we could get 1 free drink at any bar starting at 3pm.

Didn't get the free drink nor did I go to the party.

8 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

We are platinum and our invitation was for 4pm on the last day of the cruise and it said we could get 1 free drink at any bar starting at 3pm.

Didn't get the free drink nor did I go to the party.

yes that’s how they do it on excel class ships because they don’t serve drinks during the party, just a glass of wine.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mz-s said:

yes that’s how they do it on excel class ships because they don’t serve drinks during the party, just a glass of wine.

oh ok. Like I said I don't partake in the parties. Have them at an inconvenient time and not big drinkers.

Think I had 2 beers all week. (hiccup) lol

• Haha 1

On the Dream Journey this past January I know they had at least 3 P&D parties in the main theater. This, among many other reasons, is why the Rewards program needs a complete overhaul in my opinion. I will say that being Dia/Plat on a typical 5 nighter to the Bahamas or Cozumel is still meaningful.  The problem is when 50% of the ship qualifies.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jsglow said:

On the Dream Journey this past January I know they had at least 3 P&D parties in the main theater. This, among many other reasons, is why the Rewards program needs a complete overhaul in my opinion. I will say that being Dia/Plat on a typical 5 nighter to the Bahamas or Cozumel is still meaningful.  The problem is when 50% of the ship qualifies.

Why is it a problem? I get that things like priority embarkation are challenging when everyone has priority (and having your room ready but Carnival fixed that by just not doing it anymore), but scheduling the P&D parties doesn't seem like a huge issue.

Just now, mz-s said:

Why is it a problem? I get that things like priority embarkation are challenging when everyone has priority (and having your room ready but Carnival fixed that by just not doing it anymore), but scheduling the P&D parties doesn't seem like a huge issue.

The P&D party isn't the issue at all. I agree. It's the whole concept of when everyone has priority, nobody does.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, jsglow said:

The P&D party isn't the issue at all. I agree. It's the whole concept of when everyone has priority, nobody does.

Right but as you point out, it works for the vast majority of the sailings every year.

• Like 1

On my last cruise (May 8-13 on Sunshine) I saw lots of blue, red and gold cards especially at Alchemy.  I felt like the "unicorn" with my Platinum card.  I think 5 day and under cruises are light with P & D's.  It will be interesting to see the breakdown on my 10 day October cruise out of Rome.

• Like 2