Has anyone else wondered this?

Funny thing...a week ago hubs was in hospital with diverticulitis...while I sat and looked around his room, I made mental note of all the filth,.I kid you not.  They may mop, but they leave so much dirt behind around and under the floor cove it's unbelievable!  While contemplating all this, I looked down and under my hubs knees on the metal foundation of his bed was a crust of white bread!  How it got there is anybody's guess!!  I told the nurse about it and laughed, but it was cement.  So I knew nobody ever wipes down the bedframe.  Hospital yet!  It's a wonder we don't all die if ever you're admitted!  It was a good laugh though.

On 5/18/2023 at 9:39 AM, BecciBoo said:

I wouldn't get my panties in a wad...nothing is really sterilized, even hospitals are filthy.  If it bothers you, take a canister of Clorox wipes and have at it, I've done it plenty of times!  Don't forget that phone and the TV control, dirtiest things in any cabin.  And WASHY WASHY!

Thanks for the input about the clorox wipes. Will make sure to take a very large supply on our summer Oasis sailing!!!

15 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Your immune system attacks bacteria just as it does viruses. Why would you say that it would not beef up your immune system?

I guess I thought it would just pass through with salmonella and not necessarily help with immunity.  Thank you for letting me know.  I find it fascinating that with all the bad germs and bugs out there the human race is still chugging along. 

• Like 3

Just a quick thought:  Covid is mostly not passed by touching contaminated surfaces.  So wiping things down thoroughly does not help prevent Covid.  It is mostly short range air borne transmission.

Norovirus is completely different and wipe down with disinfectants will help with that.  How it spreads is really pretty gross.

49 minutes ago, marvelous35 said:

So wiping things down thoroughly does not help prevent Covid. 

we have been wiping down cruise cabins and airplane seats/buckles long before Covid. Actually, we started doing so when we started traveling with DS.

Covid is not spread by fomites, but they didn't know that at first.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Once when we boarded Liberty right after one of their chartered Swinger cruises, I was getting "anal" about germs.,  was looking at the metal entry door in our cabin (unfortunately, didn't get a pic of that!)

but to the side of it with the light coming in the balcony shawn on it, it was totally covered in gross smears of "something".  That was also the cruise the crew had a few choice stories to tell.   I wiped that cabin down 2 or 3 times!

Then one cruise out of Los Angeles on a Princess ship, my MIL found a used condom in a drawer, called GS immediately and they were moved to a Suite!  That's true!  But don't carry a dead condom with you guys!!!!🤣 

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

I guess I thought it would just pass through with salmonella and not necessarily help with immunity.  Thank you for letting me know.  I find it fascinating that with all the bad germs and bugs out there the human race is still chugging along. 

What is fascinating is the complexity of the human immune system not to mention the rest of the body. It is incredible that we have existed at all. And that applies to other complex life forms at well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2023 at 11:03 PM, PWP-001 said:

According to the "washy, washy" attendant stationed on Freedom last weekend, they are prohibited from saying as you quoted.  According to him, "guests didn't like it and complained."  

I agree it is rude to say that!

42 minutes ago, cruiseboy89130 said:

I agree it is rude to say that!

Yes, I'm sure everyone on your team got a trophy.  

I come from a thicker skinned generation that doesn't wilt and fall to pieces in an emotional wreck over a simple rhyme most likely devised by a clever employee trying to make the best of position as they fight entitled guests who refuse simply because they don't like anyone telling them what to do. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Once when we boarded Liberty right after one of their chartered Swinger cruises, I was getting "anal" about germs.,  was looking at the metal entry door in our cabin (unfortunately, didn't get a pic of that!)

but to the side of it with the light coming in the balcony shawn on it, it was totally covered in gross smears of "something".  That was also the cruise the crew had a few choice stories to tell.   I wiped that cabin down 2 or 3 times!

Then one cruise out of Los Angeles on a Princess ship, my MIL found a used condom in a drawer, called GS immediately and they were moved to a Suite!  That's true!  But don't carry a dead condom with you guys!!!!🤣 

So I got as far as "... chartered Swinger cruises," and given the subject, a part of me screamed to myself:  "STOP!  Do not read further!"  But just like others, I love a train wreck.  

Just last week on Freedom, when laying down during the day for a nap, when the filtered sunlight hit the wall closest to the side of the bed, I could see a smear and the line of some long ago dried liquid than ran down the wall a good 10 inches.  

Standing up, the stain wasn't visible.  so I'm not surprised a cabin steward couldn't see it to wipe away.

I'm buying a black light to have before my next cruise on Friday!

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

So I got as far as "... chartered Swinger cruises," and given the subject, a part of me screamed to myself:  "STOP!  Do not read further!"  But just like others, I love a train wreck.  

Just last week on Freedom, when laying down during the day for a nap, when the filtered sunlight hit the wall closest to the side of the bed, I could see a smear and the line of some long ago dried liquid than ran down the wall a good 10 inches.  

Standing up, the stain wasn't visible.  so I'm not surprised a cabin steward couldn't see it to wipe away.

Needless to say, based upon that "spotting" on the wall, there wasn't a condom in the room.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Be sure to post photos. 🙃

Ordered and arriving from Amazon later today.  Cruise next weekend is on Freedom, so perhaps my room will light up like an episode of CSI:  Miami.  If so, I'll post the pics.... and be sleeping on the balcony.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

I wouldn’t buy that black light. You won’t like what you find…. It is what it is. Same with any hotel

1 hour ago, PWP-001 said:

Ordered and arriving from Amazon later today.  Cruise next weekend is on Freedom, so perhaps my room will light up like an episode of CSI:  Miami.  If so, I'll post the pics.... and be sleeping on the balcony.

We sail on Freedom in July. Please post your cabin number too please. 😂

40 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

I wouldn’t buy that black light. You won’t like what you find…. It is what it is. Same with any hotel

Well actually my curiosity is piqued, so I'm going to make good use of the black light.  Worst case, I won't want to walk bare foot in the room.  The sheets always have that strong bleach smell (Becci:  don't EVEN go there) ... of Clorox, so I'm comfortable there, provided there isn't any hair or bed bugs 

I think you'd be shocked at how poorly staterooms are cleaned. They make them look tidy but sanitization...nope, I'm sure. sterilize everything - not for COVID protection but to reduce the yuck factor. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

It is scary.  I use a blacklight in hotel rooms but I learned to only use it on the bedbug-likely areas.  

On 5/18/2023 at 12:23 PM, orville99 said:

Just a presumption on my part, but based on your statement, you probably have never done a B2B cruise. Since we only do B2B or longer cruises, we see the cabin turnaround process firsthand, and the cabins are completely stripped of linens, towels, trash, and anything else that isn't bolted down and then cleaned thoroughly. Typically there are at least 2-3 staff working on each cabin as soon as the guests leave (sometimes well before 6AM, and they are still working those cabins when we get back on board around 10:30 after clearing customs. They also wipe down every surface in the corridors that are touchable by passengers (handrails, door handles, railings, etc. (word of caution - if you do a B2B, it is probably a good idea not to grab any of those surfaces if you go back to your cabin unless you have a towel handy to dry your hands off.

So a question for you on this 

Are you saying that on a B2B you are allowed to go back to your cabin ?

Cheers

On 5/18/2023 at 6:48 PM, Keksie said:

I just wonder if any of you ate dirt or drank out of a garden hose growing up?  I figure a few germs now and again just keep my immune system humming along which is why I haven't gotten sick with anything for any years.

Yes exactly !

• Like 1