Changing Cabins

36 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Has anyone changed their cabins after booking? Is this even possible?  

Usually you can upgrade but not downgrade on carnival. Your experience may vary. Depends what kind of cabin change you want. 

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Usually you can upgrade but not downgrade on carnival. Your experience may vary. Depends what kind of cabin change you want. 

7 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

We like to be as high and forward as possible.  All we could get this time was deck 9 forward.  Since the cruise is a year out, I was wondering if I should call periodically to see if anything higher has opened.

1 hour ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We like to be as high and forward as possible.  All we could get this time was deck 9 forward.  Since the cruise is a year out, I was wondering if I should call periodically to see if anything higher has opened.

Eventually you may see available upgrade offers on your Carnival.com cruise manager or via email.

Although we usually book a balcony cabin we will be happy with, there have been a few times I have seen a "better" balcony cabin open up - better location, larger balcony, etc.  I call my pvp and she moves me to that cabin - no problem.  Sometimes I have to pay a few $$ more, but it is well worth it to me to get a better cabin.

Yes, you can make a lateral move or upgrade, they do not let you downgrade usually (at least without penalties).  It also depends on your rate code (some do not allow changes at all without incurring penalties)

Most times you can make a lateral move to the same exact cabin type (ex: 8A, 6C, etc.) at anytime regardless of rates, etc. as long as you are staying in the same exact cabin type you can just pick a different room number.

Most times you can "upgrade" to a new higher cabin type as well at anytime.  (ex you are in an 8A and want to go to an 8B, 8C, etc.)  However, keep in mind that you will pay any difference between your current rate and new rates.  You also potentially face losing an "perks" associated with the rate you are booked under.  Example:  You booked a rate that included $50 OBC, but when you decide to move to a new room that rate is no longer available so you could have to pay more AND lose your OBC.

16 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Has anyone changed their cabins after booking? Is this even possible?  

Yes you can. But you need to call, you can’t do it yourself that I know of. They’ll let you do lateral moves and upgrades, but you cannot downgrade. So for instance you can’t go from a suite to a balcony since that’s considered a downgrade. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

You also potentially face losing an "perks" associated with the rate you are booked under.  Example:  You booked a rate that included $50 OBC, but when you decide to move to a new room that rate is no longer available so you could have to pay more AND lose your OBC.

We booked with a $200 OBC. Not sure we want to give that up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We booked with a $200 OBC. Not sure we want to give that up.

Ya that's the kicker. A lot of people have changed not realizing if you do you loose ALL perks associated with your original rate.  You don't get to keep pieces of the first rate and pieces of the new rate... 

• Like 1

We also hear reports of people moving from one rate that was reduced deposit to a different rate that required a full deposit. That additional deposit is due immediately, and if it is not paid the cruise will be cancelled and the initial deposit is forfeited. That can take quite some time on the phone to resolve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

We also hear reports of people moving from one rate that was reduced deposit to a different rate that required a full deposit. That additional deposit is due immediately, and if it is not paid the cruise will be cancelled and the initial deposit is forfeited. That can take quite some time on the phone to resolve.

I moved from a reduced rate to a less reduced rate deposit and got cancelled. I was early saver and put in for a cruisefare decrease. I was originally on a $50 deposit and went to another decreased deposit during the night and within 2 minutes it came back thru and cancelled my booking. I was on the phone the next morning and we had to get a new booking number, couldnt get it back. 

I filled out the form online ..assuming I'd have time to add to the deposit or get a notice and just pay it. It wasnt 2 minutes in between emails. Congrats we gave you the lower price, to your booking is cancelled due to payment due. 

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I moved from a reduced rate to a less reduced rate deposit and got cancelled. I was early saver and put in for a cruisefare decrease. I was originally on a $50 deposit and went to another decreased deposit during the night and within 2 minutes it came back thru and cancelled my booking. I was on the phone the next morning and we had to get a new booking number, couldnt get it back. 

I filled out the form online ..assuming I'd have time to add to the deposit or get a notice and just pay it. It wasnt 2 minutes in between emails. Congrats we gave you the lower price, to your booking is cancelled due to payment due. 

An example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing when they approve the price adjustments. They should recognize the additional money due and call/email to get that settled before sending the price adjustment through.

1 minute ago, mz-s said:

An example of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing when they approve the price adjustments. They should recognize the additional money due and call/email to get that settled before sending the price adjustment through.

Lol I think was automation .. no hands looking and no hands involved? Next time I'll know to look and not just see it's still a lowered deposit. Check first and pay the higher amount in advance before putting in for a price match on the ez saver form.

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol I think was automation .. no hands looking and no hands involved? Next time I'll know to look and not just see it's still a lowered deposit. Check first and pay the higher amount in advance before putting in for a price match on the ez saver form.

I am sure they have a crew who process those requests manually, but they don't take the time to check if the deposit owed is different.

Yes, this is possible.

When we booked on the dream back in December, I had discovered that I booked a cove balcony directly under the galley area where I definitely didn't want to be. I had done a mock booking and seen quite a few coves open still, so I called and asked nicely and the rep was able to move my room.

Granted, I had paid a bit more upfront to be able to choose my room in the first place, and I wasn't trying to change categories or upgrade my room or anything- it was a direct switch.

On 5/18/2023 at 1:41 PM, Butterbean1000 said:

Did you book on your own or with a PVP? Sometimes my PVP can see cabins that I can't see on my own on the Carnival website (especially for a cruise over a year out). You could call and there might actually be some available now that you just can't see.

17 minutes ago, amypintx said:

Did you book on your own or with a PVP? Sometimes my PVP can see cabins that I can't see on my own on the Carnival website (especially for a cruise over a year out). You could call and there might actually be some available now that you just can't see.

Yes, we used a PVP. She spent a lot of time searching for us.  We actually looked at another cruise that our son and family booked. Our perfect cabin was available.  The promo under which we booked was still available, but our deposit is non transferable.  That was a deal breaker fir us. Oh well. Regardless of where our cabin is, we'll have a great cruise. 

• Like 1