Luggage Tag Holders

I know there are M A N Y luggage tag holders out there (the kind you put your paper tag in that you print off)  but I was wondering if there is a better kind? 

I have a couple that have those wire circle type fasteners and 1 of mine broke and I can't find JUST the fastener. So, I thought I might just be purchasing different ones. I was thinking of a carabiner fastener but then thought those might detach. 

Anywho....what do you all use?

If you still have the holder but not the wire, just use a cable tie.  They’re cheap, come in all lengths and colors… just cut it off when you need to change the tag.  EM

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 4

I have a small laminator at home -- very handy!  Highly recommended!  I laminate my printed tags and attach them with cable ties.  Because I already own the little machine, this costs me pennies.  I've been making two tags per bag (just in case), but they're plenty sturdy, and I don't really need to do this.

No need for holders. Our preferred cruise line provides pretty much “indestructible” self contained printed/plasticized tags. These are relatively new having replaced the former airline type luggage tags still used in most airports.

1 minute ago, mammajamma2013 said:

One of our plastic tags is without the original loop, we use what is essentially a very large rubber band. We tie it onto the tag with a lark's head knot, then loop it onto the suitcase with another lark's head knot.

No matter what knot you use, any kind of readily available “rubber band” (or string or yarn) is subject to breaking quickly, particularly if caught in any mechanized luggage mover at an airport.

Cable ties are as close as you’ll come to the most useful “jury rig.”

23 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No matter what knot you use, any kind of readily available “rubber band” (or string or yarn) is subject to breaking quickly, particularly if caught in any mechanized luggage mover at an airport.

Cable ties are as close as you’ll come to the most useful “jury rig.”

True. OP is asking about the tags for the ship, though, not the airport. We don't leave these luggage tags on once luggage is going to the airport. We carry our luggage off ourselves and the only tags on the bags at that time are the ones specifically for the airport.

I suppose they could come off going through the ships machinery, but then they would already be on the ship. We'd have to go down to customer service when we see that not all are bags are at our room. That would be inconvenient. I've used my very sturdy "rubber band" for the last four cruises with no problem. If a problem does come up, we'll deal with it.

On 5/20/2023 at 12:14 PM, CruisingLover said:

I have a couple that have those wire circle type fasteners and 1 of mine broke and I can't find JUST the fastener. So, I thought I might just be purchasing different ones. I was thinking of a carabiner fastener but then thought those might detach. 

Anywho....what do you all use?

I use a zip tie  you can get a bundle of them at the Dollar store

I also put our address etc  as well as the ship name/itinerary   in an outside pocket of the case  & also on the inside

Might be overkill but then  they have no excuse  to say they could not contact us

We do not put the cruise line  tags on until we are leaving the hotel & heading to the ship

On disembarkation I remove  any tags  other that our personal  one before  handing it over  at the airport

also watch for the  bar code stickers some airlines put on your cases

21 hours ago, shorne said:

Amazon sells those loops of wire in batches of a few dozen. I have a whole package of them here; I'd happily give you one if I could.

I actually looked for just the loops on Amazon but had no luck 😔

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2023 at 11:03 PM, ldubs said:

Google "cable rings".  Should pop right up.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E4SQNLS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I just bought these for my father for father's day.  They came in yesterday and look pretty sturdy.  I usually just cover the entire tag in packaging tape them punch a whole in it with a pair of scissors and use a zip tie, however I am thinking about buying another set of these tags for me. I cruise Carnival and they look like they would work.

Edited by sydney dog
  • Like 1