KISSING THE BLARNEY STONE

Hello, searched & couldn't find info on wait times. I'll be doing a ship tour & understand you have to get on your back & lean to kiss the stone. Can anyone offer insight on how long the line will be on a weekday the first of June? It sounds scary but I don't want to do the tour & not kiss the stone 

There are signs near the castle entrance that say 60 minutes from a certain point.  Consider that if you're on a ship's tour (of which there is probably more than one bus), you could be #1 of 50, or #50 of 50.  Of course, not everyone will want to kiss the stone but you're also contending with other tourists and your shipmates on private tours.  Walk fast.  It's quite aways from the coach drop off.  I went end of last August but with a private tour company (Paddywaggon).  Our busload was able to leave the port and get to Blarney Castle before the ship excursions.  Got to the top of the castle and there were maybe 15 people ahead of me.  I didn't want to kiss the stone though so didn't wait.  Just wanted to see inside the castle and the view from the top.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We took a ship's excursion and I was pleasantly surprised with the excursion.    The grounds around the castle are beautiful.    (Also, The clothing store on site was really nice, with high quality clothing at reasonable prices, I thought.....)

We did kiss the stone, but I would not be too disappointed if you don't.   We made a bee-line to the castle from the bus and beat the crowd.   We waited only 15 min or so.   On our way down, however, the line had grown to 2+hours if the signs were correct.    So the answer is... it is hard to tell but the wait could be significant.  I would not wait 2 hours.

You not only have to lie on your back but you need to slide down a bit head first.   You are safe from falling,  but it can be quit uncomfortable.  If you have any back issues, I would not recommend.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, CCJack said:

We took a ship's excursion and I was pleasantly surprised with the excursion.    The grounds around the castle are beautiful.    (Also, The clothing store on site was really nice, with high quality clothing at reasonable prices, I thought.....)

We did kiss the stone, but I would not be too disappointed if you don't.   We made a bee-line to the castle from the bus and beat the crowd.   We waited only 15 min or so.   On our way down, however, the line had grown to 2+hours if the signs were correct.    So the answer is... it is hard to tell but the wait could be significant.  I would not wait 2 hours.

You not only have to lie on your back but you need to slide down a bit head first.   You are safe from falling,  but it can be quit uncomfortable.  If you have any back issues, I would not recommend.  

Thank you. I'm on MSC & they don't tell you the time of the excursion until you are on the ship so I hope it's early. I do walk fast & have no back issues (but height issues, haha). Hearing about this made a big impression on me as a child so I would like to attempt

3 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Thank you. I'm on MSC & they don't tell you the time of the excursion until you are on the ship so I hope it's early. I do walk fast & have no back issues (but height issues, haha). Hearing about this made a big impression on me as a child so I would like to attempt

Yes, you may want to be first off the ship, in the first bus, etc.... in case there are more than one excursion bus going there.....     

• Thanks 1

It's one of those travel experiences that can't be duplicated. I did it when I was a teen (and frankly found it a bit terrifying hanging upside down with someone clutching my legs....). Not something I've ever forgotten. If you want to do it I hope you're able to do so. 😁

we will be in Cobh in August and our plan is to get off ship early. Grab the train to Cork and then the bus to Blarney. Apparently gardens are lovely. If we arrive prior to Blarney castle opens and are able to get up to top that is great. Will not kiss stone but will get photo from top anyhow.  Then check out Cork and train back to Cobh and see sights there. We dicked 7 to 6. Hate to be in that part of world and not at least see the legendary Blarney castle.  We avoid ship tours. Hate waiting for all the stragglers and dropped at shops I am not interested in.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

It's one of those travel experiences that can't be duplicated. I did it when I was a teen (and frankly found it a bit terrifying hanging upside down with someone clutching my legs....). Not something I've ever forgotten. If you want to do it I hope you're able to do so. 😁

I had a similar experience in my mid-20s.  Except that I think the guy was clutching a bit more than my legs. 😂

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was just there end of May.  We waited 40 mins to kiss the stone. The line moved fairly well. The actual stone kissing takes roughly 2mins per person.  You have to lean back holding the railings and kiss it.  There are to guys to help one holds your legs and one takes your picture which is available at the gift shop for 10 pounds. (You can have a friend take your own picture for free.)  Hardest part is getting back up.  They do wipe the stone after each kiss. The views are quite nice.  Keep in mind the staircase up is quite small & narrow and steep. You can access the Castle without kissing the stone.  If you don't fancy kissing the Blarney, I highly recommend the gardens.  They are beautiful. 

• Like 1