No address on NCL luggage tags?

bomabound

After checking in online I printed luggage tags and the instructions tell you to fill in your name and address.  But then this week I received official luggage tags from NCL in the mail.  I’d prefer to use them since they are bright and shiny and will hold up better than printed paper ones, but they do not include an address or any space to write one.  Would you use both?  Just the mailed ones?

I NEVER write my address on luggage tags.  This is for safety reasons.  Someone could see your address, realize you are away from home and who knows what could ensue. 

I do have a piece of paper inside the zipper pocket on the outside of my suitcase with my name and contact number.

What matters to NCL for luggage delivery is that your cabin number is on the luggage tag. (We do carry on only so don’t use the luggage tags.)

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, bomabound said:

After checking in online I printed luggage tags and the instructions tell you to fill in your name and address.  But then this week I received official luggage tags from NCL in the mail.  I’d prefer to use them since they are bright and shiny and will hold up better than printed paper ones, but they do not include an address or any space to write one.  Would you use both?  Just the mailed ones?

Instead of printing your home address on the tags, you may want to just list your email.  That way someone who locates a misplaced bag can notify you, but no potential burglar will learn the address of your temporarily vacant house.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I NEVER write my address on luggage tags.  This is for safety reasons.  Someone could see your address, realize you are away from home and who knows what could ensue. 

I really don't see this as a problem.  There's no reason to put the tags on your luggage until  you arrive at the port.  It's very difficult to believe that a significan threat exists at this juncture.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

When I travel any checked luggage gets one of these tags (not in this color).  The tag has to be removed in order to see the address, only the name shows through without any effort.  It's also somewhat uncommon so I'm pretty well assured that the first bag with one of these that I see on the carousel is going to be mine.

https://www.conair.com/en/swivel-identification-tag-–-orange/TS245RGX.html?lang=en_US

2 hours ago, bomabound said:

and will hold up better than printed paper ones,

In the future, if you're not staying in a cabin where these get mailed to you (not all cabins get them), I'd use a luggage tag sleeve that attaches to the bag with a metal loop. I still wouldn't put them on until in the port city, mine go in my carry-on until I get to the port city.

• Like 1

You can always just take the paper tags and reinforce them with clear mailing tape and then staple them on.  The front desk of any hotel can always hand you a stapler for a minute.  I never put my address on a luggage tag.  Two of our daughters still in the house so that's more of a worry than just being robbed.  (Burglars shouldn't assume a household has no other members!)  Anyway, there is nothing to be gained by putting more info than your cell phone number and email these days.  They can contact you better with those things.  What are they going to do with your address anyway?  Mail a letter to your house while you are away???

• Like 3

14 hours ago, bomabound said:

Use the shiny tags unaltered. They only thing that they care about is your room number. If you are flying, you are required to have your name and address on you bag (covered). 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

If you are flying, you are required to have your name and address on you bag (covered). 

Initials, last name, cellphone and/or email address meets the requirements from most airlines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrumpyNor said:

Initials, last name, cellphone and/or email address meets the requirements from most airlines.

That's all they've ever gotten from me.  Never an issue.  Years ago (before cell phones and internet) we simply used my husband's office address rather than our home address.

• Like 1

First initials, last name, state/zip code (destination), WhatsApp number (WiFi/VoiP friendly) and unique, disposable email address that's global travel friendly to use/be reachable on the go ... not our/my primary email.  

And, if we are dropping bags with porters at the pier and getting our carry-on/larger 24" spinners checked - place an Apple AirTag inside so that it can be "pinged" & usually tracked in real time, unless it's wheels up & airborne somewhere - extra "insurance".  Do this in a somewhere tampered proof way, by putting the AirTag inside the luggage, contact info - in a clearly marked & visible way - inside a sealed envelope.  If it's opened or broken for "TSA" alike inspection, you'll know someone has open the bag(s) looking for information.  P.S.  have your AirTag's serial numbers recorded & saved securely somewhere.  

PXL_20230420_132717498_093027.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Do this in a somewhere tampered proof way, by putting the AirTag inside the luggage, contact info - in a clearly marked & visible way - inside a sealed envelope.

I attach a second, more conventional, luggage tag to some interior part of the suitcase.  Lesson learned from when all exterior tags were torn off my bag on my first cruise, have some kind of identification inside as well.

• Like 2

i put my mailing info on my luggage tags ( i have a POB, so no mail goes to my home anyway).  I don't put any additional info inside my bags.  My clothes are not expensive and I never pack needed items. So if someone takes my suitcase ( or it gets lost), so be it.  I will buy clothes if needed.  Im a really good thrift store shopper.

• Haha 1