Celebrity vs NCL have you sailed both

McFins

Hi!  Typically have sailed on NCL but considering Celebrity just to see what else is out there.   

If you have sailed on both cruise lines would love to hear your thoughts on some of the differences In onboard entertainment, daily activities and dining.

Thanks so much for any feedback you may be able to provide. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, McFins said:

Hi!  Typically have sailed on NCL but considering Celebrity just to see what else is out there.   

If you have sailed on both cruise lines would love to hear your thoughts on some of the differences In onboard entertainment, daily activities and dining.

Thanks so much for any feedback you may be able to provide. 

We found the entertainment better on NCL. I would say that is Celebrity’s biggest weakness. However, Celebrity wins hands down for service. I also enjoy the relaxing atmosphere with Celebrity, and fewer kids running around.  Many will say the food is better on Celebrity, but I liked it on both. It’s been several years since we’ve sailed with NCL though. I just don’t recall not liking their food.  

• Like 2

If you are traveling with children then NCL is the way to go.  There's not a lot for kids to do on a Celebrity ship.  I have sailed both lines and prefer Celebrity for the over all experience but there are things on NCL that I really like...I'll lay out a comparison with the things that are important to me when I cruise:

Thermal Suite:  NCL beats Celebrity..seven ways to Sunday...even on the E class ships.

Ship Atmosphere:  Celebrity is more quiet, laid back, serene.  NCL is loud, vivacious, sometimes                                           obnoxious

Food:  I think Celebrity used to be better but now I think they are about the same

Entertainment:  NCL is/was better.  I haven't sailed since before Covid.  Reports suggest NCL's entertainment has suffered since the restart.

Bars:  Celebrity's are better IMO.  More sophisticated

Service:  I've never had bad service on a Celebrity ship.  To my knowledge, they still offer twice daily cabin service, while NCL has gone to once unless in a suite.  In contrast, I have had bad service on NCL when I wasn't in the Haven

Overall, I'd book a Celebrity cruise over an NCL cruise.  I like a more refine atmosphere throughout the ship and my kids are grown so I don't need to worry about their entertainment.

• Like 2

We just sailed on NCL’s Encore in the Haven…hands down the very best suite experience we’ve ever had on a ship. Absolutely incredible and we felt very little desire to come out of the Haven area.   NCL’s entertainment tends to be better and can be better suited overall to families. Our personal preference is that we tend to like celebrity’s ships better- they’re more suited to our tastes. I do like NCL’s itineraries sometimes better than Celebrity’s. For a non- Haven, ship experience, we would prefer Celebrity. 

Edited by mickeysgal
  • Like 1

I agree with everything @dateacher and @Georgia_Peaches but the bars; while X is more sophisticated, the newer NCL ships more bars where each can have a different vibe

With all that being said, it does come down to which NCL and X ship?  Thew newer the NCL ship, the more venues/attractions you get such as for a fee go-carts, but most won't care about that.  With X, if you go on their newest ship, while it'll look a lot better, you'll most likely have a simular onboard experience to their oldest ship

Daytime entertainment, on X there isn't a ton going on, most sit by the pool to music, some just drunk and some read.  Best case scenario, there's a speaker on board and they have two 45mins talks.  They replay them on the stateroom TV all sailing long

• Like 1

Both are good for various reasons but try an NCL that goes to Harvest Cay in Belize.It is a private area for NCL and very nice large pool and just beautiful.

No free food but at least it is private pool and beach that X does not have

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Daytime entertainment, on X there isn't a ton going on, most sit by the pool to music, some just drunk and some read.  Best case scenario, there's a speaker on board and they have two 45mins talks.  They replay them on the stateroom TV all sailing long

I guess you missed the 2 or 3  trivia games a day,  Deal or No Deal, Officers vs guests Bocce or Pool volleyball, golf putting challenge, archery, dance classes not to mention the slot, blackjack and poker tournaments

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I guess you missed the 2 or 3  trivia games a day,  Deal or No Deal, Officers vs guests Bocce or Pool volleyball, golf putting challenge, archery, dance classes not to mention the slot, blackjack and poker tournaments

Despite these activities being slotted for 45mins, often they're cut short due to lack of participation.  It should also be noted that the OP asked about daily activities and most are offered only once per sailing, not daily

• Like 1

One and done with NCL. Sailed on NCL Spirit years ago. It’s a smaller ship, no Haven. Suite was nice, butler and cabin attendant were great, but they were both planning to quit. Service ship-wide was lacking. Staff seemed unhappy and indifferent. Didn’t like your meal? Waiter didn’t care. Food was sub-par.

Can’t comment on entertainment, have never been to the theater on any ship.

No such thing as a bad cruise? Nope. Couldn’t wait to leave the ship.

Overall we like the calmer experience that Celebrity provides.

Have done a few NCL cruises and they were good  , especially the Pride of America 

cruise of the Hawaiian Islands, they have an exclusive on that itinerary.

Sailed the Getaway from Miami once , a bit loud for us.

I guess you will know better if you do a Celebrity cruise to compare.

One tip about Celebrity, the Edge class ships seem to really cater to those who book suites with regard to public areas onboard.

The S and M class are more accommodating to the entire passenger population in that department.

Hope all goes well 🚢  for you.

We sailed primarily with Celebrity for over 25 years and loved it. We decided to try something different - NCL Haven on Gateway. We had wonderful experience in Haven - food and service were very good and having separate area to relax was the reason we booked it. 

We didn't like the ship.

We didn't like the perks - free at sea. Free internet is a joke ( 150 min). We paid for an upgrade and still service was spotty and slow. Beverage package does not include water. I have very simple taste in wine - Moscato. But they didn't have any and no substitute was offered. I don't drink mixed dinks or hard liquor.  $50 / cabin excursion voucher was useless to us, since we had no plans to take any tours.

Specialty restaurants were not any better than Haven restaurant.

Entertaiment was hit or miss. 

We wish Celebrity had a piano lounge, like back in good old days.

There is no place on NCL Gateway where you can sit down and  have a cup of tea or coffee, like Al Bacio on Celebrity. Nice Latte were available in Haven. We are not fans of Starbuck coffee.

Garden Cafe looked always busy, reminded me school cafeteria. 

Will we go back to NCL - probably, but only in Haven and for a right price and itinerary.

• Like 1