Do all parties need the RC app?

2 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

My husband has never downloaded the app and it hasn’t been an issue. I do the muster video from my app and they just ask if we watched it. I have his sail pass in my app and I do all the reservations in my app. 

Ditto here, hubby does not have the app & his phone stays in the cabin safe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anton said:

Since the paper Cruise Compass is quickly becoming extinct having the app for both of you means you can each see the daily planner, dining menus, charges to your account and many other things.  However you will find a QR code for the online Cruise Compass in your cabin. 

It's not extinct yet.  Cruise Compass is delivered by the stateroom attendant daily, and also available at guest services.

After retiring 8 years ago, my phone stays home when I'm on vacation, as I'm just not that important of a person. If all continues to go well, I never will be either.

Note:  I apologize, as my reply was to Poocher (in regards to her husband not using his phone either).  For some reason it wanted the reply attached to your post.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Yes, RCI discontinued support for tablets last year.

Hummmmmm, that's too bad.  The last cruise I was on that I took my tablet was last May.  But, in Oct/Nov I was on a 4-nighter on the Independence of the Seas, I did not take my tablet for only a 4-nighter.  But, I could swear that there were many kids, teens and younger, running around the ship with tablets.  Now, what are the kids (by Kids I mean parents that want to keep their kids occupied without parenting them) going to do! <LOL

I wonder why they decided to stop supporting them.  Could it be too many devices for the system?  Again, I'm just an IT wannabe geek.  

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Could it be too many devices for the system?

No, just easier to support (fewer platforms/devices to worry about compatibility). If you have a tablet with an older version of the app, it may still work.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

No, just easier to support (fewer platforms/devices to worry about compatibility). If you have a tablet with an older version of the app and you don't upgrade to current version, it may still work.

LOL, that tablet I no longer own, it met its maker and I cremated it in my firepit like I do with all my devices that I no longer need or can use.  But, it was old and I never, as far as I remember, updated anything on it as I knew that it was going bad anyway.  Maybe that explains why some apps, just before it met its demise, wouldn't work or load properly.  

14 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Now, what are the kids (by Kids I mean parents that want to keep their kids occupied without parenting them) going to do!

It's only the RC app that wouldn't work. Biker wasn't saying tablets can't be used to connect to the ship internet at all.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

It's only the RC app that wouldn't work. Biker wasn't saying tablets can't be used to connect to the ship internet at all.

I was under the impression that you had to use the app to log in to access the Internet.  Pre-app we just went to a webpage-looking thing.  As I remember it, and I could be totally wrong, my memory isn't what it used to be, I just put "login" in the address bar or something like that and then logged in from there.  And experienced the World Wide Wait.  

19 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I was under the impression that you had to use the app to log in to access the Internet.  Pre-app we just went to a webpage-looking thing.  As I remember it, and I could be totally wrong, my memory isn't what it used to be, I just put "login" in the address bar or something like that and then logged in from there.  And experienced the World Wide Wait.  

No app needed to use the internet. You still just open a browser and if you're not automatically taken there you type in login or icafe or whatever that page is that we're both thinking of.

14 hours ago, poocher said:

Ditto here, hubby does not have the app & his phone stays in the cabin safe.

We are just one tiny step ahead (?) of you.  I downloaded the app to my SO’s phone several cruises ago.  It has never been used because his phone stays in the safe while he depends on me to take care of everything. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

It's not extinct yet.  Cruise Compass is delivered by the stateroom attendant daily, and also available at guest services.

After retiring 8 years ago, my phone stays home when I'm on vacation, as I'm just not that important of a person. If all continues to go well, I never will be either.

Note:  I apologize, as my reply was to Poocher (in regards to her husband not using his phone either).  For some reason it wanted the reply attached to your post.

YMMV.  It’s very much ship dependent now as to whether you get a paper compass daily without requesting it.   Even when I requested it on two recent cruises I was told it was allowed for me since I was a pinnacle.   At Guest Services you had to get them by asking at the desk.  They were not available in the self service racks.

4 minutes ago, Anton said:

YMMV.  It’s very much ship dependent now as to whether you get a paper compass daily without requesting it.   Even when I requested it on two recent cruises I was told it was allowed for me since I was a pinnacle.   At Guest Services you had to get them by asking at the desk.  They were not available in the self service racks.

19 cruises since the restart…never a problem here. 

So this is an app, which is free?  The app has all the important ship info on it, including a cruise compass ete.  It has the menu for dinner.  your account balance etc.  So no you don't need it, but why ask the question?  This is the 21st Century.  Your smart phone, is not a phone, but a tool you carry with you.  Camera, newspaper, daily info, clock, ship clock, messages among your group, ship map, etc.  When I go on vacation, I pull away from my daily life, but that doesn't mean I dissappear and my phone is my 21st century tool to staying informed.  So if you don't want to be connected to the world, fine, and if you don't need to know what is happening on the ship, then fine also.  You don't need it.  Lock it up.  But it costs nothing for the app. 

6 hours ago, Joseph2018Baltic said:

So this is an app, which is free?  The app has all the important ship info on it, including a cruise compass ete.  It has the menu for dinner.  your account balance etc.  So no you don't need it, but why ask the question?  This is the 21st Century.  Your smart phone, is not a phone, but a tool you carry with you.  Camera, newspaper, daily info, clock, ship clock, messages among your group, ship map, etc.  When I go on vacation, I pull away from my daily life, but that doesn't mean I dissappear and my phone is my 21st century tool to staying informed.  So if you don't want to be connected to the world, fine, and if you don't need to know what is happening on the ship, then fine also.  You don't need it.  Lock it up.  But it costs nothing for the app. 

Exactly!

No you don't need it, but I, personally would always use it. One per stateroom. Easier, faster and fun too.  You can go back to the app-less days, but be prepared for delays.

Edited by BecciBoo

15 hours ago, LVinTennessee said:

My husband’s phone is too old and can’t download the app. He got by just fine without it.  I checked us in, we did muster videos on my phone (I believe I was able to check his name that he watched it), etc. 

1990's Rare Motorola CelluLink Mobile/Cell Phone with Bag | Etsy

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ret MP said:
5 hours ago, Ret MP said:

1990's Rare Motorola CelluLink Mobile/Cell Phone with Bag | Etsy

Prior to this old phone, he had a flip phone.  I had to talk him into a newer device so we could text.  He rarely has his phone with him to receive my calls or texts so I’m not sure my plan is working. 😂

• Haha 1

On 5/21/2023 at 5:13 PM, Anton said:

Since the paper Cruise Compass is quickly becoming extinct having the app for both of you means you can each see the daily planner, dining menus, charges to your account and many other things.  However you will find a QR code for the online Cruise Compass in your cabin. 

That stinks, I saved all of my cruise compasses from every cruise so far (9 to date) I have each " cruise" in a separate  folder and all the folders are in a zip bag ( the kind a blanket comes in😉). Every now and then I go through and relive the memories 🙃

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

This is the first time we will be onboard with smart phones (iPhones).  Do we need to pay to use them if we are accessing the RCL App?  

We have only had smart phones for a couple of years and everything we do is new.  Many thanks.

Kathy  

24 minutes ago, tomko2 said:

This is the first time we will be onboard with smart phones (iPhones).  Do we need to pay to use them if we are accessing the RCL App?  

We have only had smart phones for a couple of years and everything we do is new.  Many thanks.

Kathy  

No Kathy, there's no charge for using the app, and you don't need to have an internet package.

23 minutes ago, tomko2 said:

Kathy  

No need to pay if you just want to chat with your group, check your account, or check the activities, dining, etc. 

I am shocked at some of the judgmental responses.  Not everyone uses their phone the same way and that is OK.  For some people their phone is their end-all-be-all, and that is OK.   I know people that don't have a home computer because they do everything they need on their phone.   I know several other people that use flip phones.  The only reason DH doesn't use a milspec flip phone anymore is that the batteries became too expensive.   For me I use my phone for calls, texts, camera and audiobooks.   For our phones I've made them 'a little dim', for security purposes.  It was amusing during the lockdown when waiters were confused that QRcodes don't work on our phones to get the menu, and therefore we needed a paper menu.   

I already have the app, so I'm not anti-app but there is no call to dump on people that don't want to use their phone for everything.  

7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

No Kathy, there's no charge for using the app, and you don't need to have an internet package.

That's great.  So we can just leave our phones on AirPlane Mode and not get any charges.