Haircuts for Men on a Round the World Cruise?

Smokeyham

For men who have been on a round the world cruise - Do you have get your haircuts on board or do you find a barber ashore?  Haircuts on board seem expensive but having a haircut ashore would eat into precious shore excursion time. 

On both previous World Cruises I have had 1 haircut onboard about mid-cruise, as time ashore is too valuable to waste on a haircut.

In future, I will bring the clippers and do it myself, as I do these days at home. 

• Like 1

A friend of mine said a haircut he had in India was the most amazing one ever.  The cut was good and came with a scalp massage which really impressed him.

Seems like potential for a unique culture interaction.  I refuse to pay such high prices for a womans short cut and would likely seek out a shop.  It is only 1/2 hour at most

years ago the barbers on the Italian & French ships were the best.... to this day I try to find an Italian barber...  I usually don't get my hair cut on board simply because it takes too long & sometimes I can't get an appointment.  as I strol the ports I usually walk past a barber & walk in ...easy!

I get my hair cut about every 4/5 weeks. I used the ship once but got haircuts in American Samoa, Japan and Istanbul. I recommend getting a cut ashore. In Samoa, while waiting, we got into conversations with locals which were fun, interesting and memorable. The cut in Istanbul was in a little shop on the second floor complete with TV soaps in Turkish, a local gossip dropping in, and a precut massage that was worth the price of admission. Same in Japan. This all goes in the category of most of what we remember from traveling is the people we meet, not the things we see. 

My husband paid around $55 for a haircut, with tip, on our recent HAL WC. While we were wandering around Sydney and Oban, we happened upon barber shops and he went in. Both times the cut was quick and less than half the price of the ship’s cost.

Many of our male friends on the ship got haircuts in port.

Edited by sandiego1
  • Like 1

My hair is already on the longish side, so I think I'll just let it continue to grow and not worry about it.

In the past, I have gotten some good haircuts in Japan, Turkey, and Australia when there was a day that excursions weren't important or on a turn-around day for a B2B.  To find one, I just asked a local.

On our recently completed MSC Poesia WC I got 2 haircuts—both off the ship.  The first was free at a barber school in Auckland and the second was in Manila at the Mall of Asia.  Depending upon the itinerary you will probably be able to find a way to get a haircut off the ship.  If interval goes a bit long, don’t worry.  Chances are you’ll be in good company. A lot of us were a bit shaggy as we completed the cruise.  

Thanks everyone.  It seems that the majority are in favor of going ashore.  I could especially see that in ports where you opt to just walk around town as opposed to places where you are on an organized excursion.

Finding a local barber when traveling is often more fun than booking a canned excursion with hours on the bus.  Barbers are good conversationalists and once they find out that you are a visitor, you will likely come away with a recommendation for a good lunch and some local sightseeing spots not on the excursion agenda.  I've had some pretty good days in port getting a haircut and lunch at a local cafe off the beaten path.

• Like 2

Found a great barber shop in Corsica for my husband when we wandered past it and he liked the cut the barber had.  $15 later her had a great cut.  I stopped at an interesting looking salon in Nova Scotia and got a great cut.  We’ve also done that in Louisville KY, various places in Mexico and a few other places and never been disappointed.

• Like 3

On 5/30/2023 at 5:43 PM, sullaRaffaello said:

On both WCs I was on, I had one haircut mid-cruise on the ship. Couldn't be bothered researching barbers ashore.

No research necessary. We happened to walk by the barber shops and my husband walked in. Easy peasy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Meander Ingwa said:

@sandiego1 did you ever see any of those barbers that use fire to trim hair?  THAT would be an adventure.

Didn’t see it offered anywhere, but then again, we weren’t looking 😀 Doesn’t burned hair curl up into a ball?

They use a comb and fire and just whip off the ends.  Have never seen in person, only on film.  Must smell a treat!  But I would probably do it simply to say , I did it.  I am a woman and have short care,  I dont really fuss about these details.  Hair grows back.