Cruise Insurance, how reliable is it

pikwe012

I just checked the insurance coverage with Princess and the coverage amounts are a total joke!  $20,000. emergency medical, $75,000. evacuation.  Not even close to what's needed.

12 hours ago, Senga said:

I just checked the insurance coverage with Princess and the coverage amounts are a total joke!  $20,000. emergency medical, $75,000. evacuation.  Not even close to what's needed.

Correct. Only their CFAR coverage is worth it, at least for us

Edited by lx200gps
  • Like 1

We have just booked our first cruise and we have medical/out of country insurance already.  I am looking at topping up our Visa for cancellation/interruption etc.  I have called a few companies and it seems to be the best price.  We booked our airfare with the cruise package so would it be considered nonrefundable?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 7:19 AM, lx200gps said:

Every other insurer out there only offers CFAR up to 70-80%, so Princess's 100% was very appealing given the cost of cruising these days.

Thanks we did get Princess Insurance. I'm not sure its cancel for any reason though. and it was quite reasonable. For Medical Insurance we use Medipac and with no claims we now get 17% discount.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 10:42 AM, 3Shelaghs said:

Trip insurance is a killer once you hit a certain age, and are required to fill out a questionnaire. Your medication, your age, can omit you from qualifying. Then there is the 90 days or 160 days limit for pre-existing conditions...

Very interesting thread. Thanks to all for posting useful information.

3Shelaghs comments were intriguing.
Are there insurance companies that specialize in the magical ‘three score and ten plus ten’ age bracket or will any companies handle this? 
Cheers…

On 6/21/2023 at 1:27 PM, Crown Vic said:

Are there insurance companies that specialize in the magical ‘three score and ten plus ten’ age bracket or will any companies handle this? 
Cheers…

try Medicpac (Ontario) 

Just got $10,000 back from Manulife thru Costco!

Had full cancellation package and broke leg in three places(10 screws and 8 inch plate) playing hockey 12 days before 10 and 11 day back to back cruises on Celebrity.

Surgeon said no flying for 3 months due to post Surg clot risk.

Insurance was a little expensive but like everything else you get what you  pay for.

Filled out forms and took about 8 weeks....no questions asked!

However you must know that there is a payout cap limit of $5000 per person per policy. So if your total trip costs exceed $5000 each you will have to pay extra to cover it.

• Like 2

We buy insurance  to cover the full trip

Twice I have had to use it   the only cap was the coverage  we paid for

$15000.00  refund   the only cost was the insurance premium   we got all our  money back otherwise

I think the premium at the time was  $500 PP

2nd trip we had to leave the ship  5 days into the 15 day cruise  DH had a gallbladder attack 

prorated refund included a tour I had pre booked in Wales

Make sure you understand what you are buying  with insurance policies & what is covered

2 hours ago, REDSTRIPETYPE said:

However you must know that there is a payout cap limit of $5000 per person per policy. So if your total trip costs exceed $5000 each you will have to pay extra to cover it.

That seems quite low for cancellation coverage. Out Medoc insurance pays up to $15,000 per insured, per trip for trip cancellation, interruption and delay insurance.

14 hours ago, REDSTRIPETYPE said:

Is this Medoc where you have to be part of Affinty group...I am in Alberta and cant find Out Medoc

Yes, you need to be a member of one of its Affinity Groups. You can check here to see if a group to which you belong is associated with Medoc: https://travel.johnson.ca/jwb_medoc_equote_external/travel/medoc/groupsearch.faces

13 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Need to be a government worker 

While the National Association of Federal Retirees may be one of the bigger ones, there are many groups other than retired government workers. For example, my DS is insured by Medoc as a member of the CBC Pensioners National Association, while a close friend has Medoc coverage as a member of the College and University Retiree Associations of Canada (CURAC). Plans and premiums vary from group to group.

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Yes, you need to be a member of one of its Affinity Groups. You can check here to see if a group to which you belong is associated with Medoc: https://travel.johnson.ca/jwb_medoc_equote_external/travel/medoc/groupsearch.faces

While the National Association of Federal Retirees may be one of the bigger ones, there are many groups other than retired government workers. For example, my DS is insured by Medoc as a member of the CBC Pensioners National Association, while a close friend has Medoc coverage as a member of the College and University Retiree Associations of Canada (CURAC). Plans and premiums vary from group to group.

Those get funding from the government 😁🤣

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Those get funding from the government 😁🤣

To the best of my knowledge, the vast majority of the groups receive no government funding. Even if they did, that wouldn't make their members "government employees".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2023 at 6:07 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Need to be a government worker 

You can join Alberta Council on Aging . open to anyone - might be a $25.00 fee they will tack on to your monthly payment . Yes - can only pay by the month . Have to commit for the whole  year starting in Sept. and ends ends of August of following year. They offer 17 and 35 day plans . Can then travel as often as you like during that year. They offer 3 levels of coverage  with questionaire with first 2 and last plan - no questionaire required - but still have to have 3 months stability with meds and any other issues. Did use it for years when younger , but finding it really expensive now that we are older. Never did have any claims - so cannot comment on that part  of it. 

On 7/3/2023 at 12:21 PM, REDSTRIPETYPE said:

Just got $10,000 back from Manulife thru Costco!

Just curious if you compared this coverage to the "Manulife Cover Me" plan?  Trying to understand the difference between the "Cover me" vs. big box store version through Manulife...

11 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

Just curious if you compared this coverage to the "Manulife Cover Me" plan?  Trying to understand the difference between the "Cover me" vs. big box store version through Manulife...

Manulife has a lot of plans under different names.  The Cover Me plan is very good as long as you do not have a bunch of pre-existing conditions, unstable or stable.  Easy to use online form and you can call them as well if you have questions.

• Thanks 1