Laundry wash without tumble dry, possible?

I got a NO answer from the cabin steward if I could have my clothes washed only without tumble dry. I prefer to hang dry my laundry.

Did anyone make a similar request and successfully get their wet clothes returned?

Edited by Serengeti228

• Serengeti228 changed the title to Laundry wash without tumble dry, possible?
52 minutes ago, Serengeti228 said:

I got a NO answer from the cabin steward if I could have my clothes washed only without tumble dry. I prefer to hang dry my laundry.

Did anyone make a similar request and successfully get their wet clothes returned?

It's not going to happen, they put a label in each garment then they all get washed and dried together in huge machines.

If they did what you suggest they would have to pick through all the wet clothes to find your items and separate them before drying. Just can't be done in commercial machines.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Serengeti228 said:

Why would you expect your cabin steward to know how the laundry dept works?  Did you also ask your steward for bacon individually cooked on the flat top versus in the convection oven?

Assume NO special handling. 

Your stuff is thrown into 73 lbs washers and 110 lbs dryers. They do not handle each price during the transfer between machines.

IMG_4775.thumb.jpeg.df05b34a6b67aa92dbe4cd4e5c45f555.jpeg

IMG_4774.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Serengeti228 said:

As others have pointed out, the answer to your question would be NO.

That only leaves you with two choices since you don't want your laundry tumble dried:

• You simply do the laundry by hand in the tiny sink in your bathroom (unless you have a club balcony cabin that comes with a tub), and then leave the wash to dry either on the clothing line in the shower or (if you have a balcony) you can also have them to dry on the balcony chairs.
  • You just order your clothing to be drycleaned instead - of course more expensive than regular laundry service, but still an option.....

29 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

As others have pointed out, the answer to your question would be NO.

That only leaves you with two choices since you don't want your laundry tumble dried:

• You simply do the laundry by hand in the tiny sink in your bathroom (unless you have a club balcony cabin that comes with a tub), and then leave the wash to dry either on the clothing line in the shower or (if you have a balcony) you can also have them to dry on the balcony chairs.
  • You just order your clothing to be drycleaned instead - of course more expensive than regular laundry service, but still an option.....

Since the princess incident it is not sensible to recommend people dry laundry on their balconies unless they plan to stay their and never leave it unattended.

• Thanks 1

This is why I hesitate to send laundry (in addition to the fact I'd rather not pay for it, but if I do it right I'll have Plat. after my next cruise so I'll get a free bag).  I have some clothes that don't seem like they'd take kindly to high heat drying, I always dry them on medium at home.

I also prefer no dryer so all my clothes I just mark it on the slip they give you or check off dry-clean which I did for all my clothes and it worked none of my clothes shrank and came back hung on hangers. Choose the dry clean option its the best!

We were recently on the Getaway.

Edited by dam64

46 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Since the princess incident it is not sensible to recommend people dry laundry on their balconies unless they plan to stay their and never leave it unattended.

I am sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "the princess incident". 

Hand wash in your sink and hang on the clothes line in the shower.  That’s what I do.

No way the ship’s laundry can find, pull, and deliver your wet laundry to your cabin.  If you saw the way the ship’s laundry works, you’d understand.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Nataly1982 said:

Just curious, how do they mark your clothes and if items often get lost? 

I thought they lost one of my socks on the last cruise, but a diligent (not really) search of the closet found the wayward sock hiding in plain sight.  Some bonehead (me) failed to get it into the bag.  Beyond that, I've never read a report of anybody's clothing getting lost.

I do read a rare report of somebody's clothes shrinking, but I think the blame for that falls more on the buffet then the hard-working folks in the laundry area.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Nataly1982 said:

They put a little yellow tag on everything except socks and undergarments.  They put the socks and undergarments in a mesh bag and tag the bag.

On our last cruise, our laundry returned with someone else's socks and undergarments 🤣.  I called guest services and the Laundry Manager was at our cabin within 5 minutes and we had ours returned to us within 20 minutes.  We were very impressed how quickly it was resolved.  Free laundry is our favorite Latitudes perk.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KACTravels said:

They put a little yellow tag on everything except socks and undergarments.  They put the socks and undergarments in a mesh bag and tag the bag.

And you don't want to forget to remove those little yellow/orange tag!! Six months later you're unsuspectingly reminded of your cruise, sometimes in the worst places imaginable!!

• Haha 3

A little bathroom trivia. Does anyone know 100% what the words on the clothesline housing are? I think they are:   Clothesline (American)

Corde a linge (French?)

Wascheleine (German?)

Tendedero (Spanish?)

And I could be all wet! Anyone?

14 hours ago, dexddd said:

Where you going to hang it?

We bring our own plastic hangers and use magnetic hooks off the ceiling in the main cabin - nothing ever drys on the bathroom lines, too small and too much humidity 

3 hours ago, cruiserbear55 said:

And you don't want to forget to remove those little yellow/orange tag!! Six months later you're unsuspectingly reminded of your cruise

Yep. As soon as the ends of those tags start to curl, the itch is unmistakable.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Nataly1982 said:

They use a small fabric tag glued to your clothes. This is a bit different than a dry cleaners at home where they staple paper tags to shirts. 

Your laundry is pressed and folded. And delivered neatly wrapped in tissue paper  in a whicker basket. 

We sail 5-6 times a year and do a couple of bags of laundry per cruise. We have never had any damage. 

IMG_4770.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bowman1 said:

We bring our own plastic hangers and use magnetic hooks off the ceiling in the main cabin - nothing ever drys on the bathroom lines, too small and too much humidity 

Of course. Classy to have cabin full of clothes.  If more than seven days, sure, but a week who can't make a suitcase per person work unless in a diverse climate.

• Thanks 1